Obama won the Nobel Peace Prize

Discussion in 'World Events' started by one_raven, Oct 9, 2009.

1. quadraphonics Bloodthirsty Barbarian Valued Senior Member

What bearing does that have on anything?

Again, the precedent of the Soviet withdrawl indicates that fighting would shift to internal battles for control of the country, in the event of a great-power withdrawl.

All much worse under the USSR and the Taliban, minus the "suicide" disclaimer.

The economy and infrastructure have both improved markedly since 2001. Still a long way to go, but you have the trends reversed. The economy and infrastructure were all destroyed in the 1980's and 1990's.

Afghanistan produced huge numbers of refugees during the conflicts in the 1980's and 1990's, and has seen huge numbers of those refugees return since 2001.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. StrawDog disseminated primatemaia Valued Senior Member

Well, the remaining percentage would indicate the residual warfare, unrelated to US/Taliban conflict if US forces withdraw.
    Yes, I agree there will be a period of destabilization. Thus, I am starting to lean towards fully inclusive dialogue, and a planned withdrawal.
    Can you refer me?

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. quadraphonics Bloodthirsty Barbarian Valued Senior Member

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. ElectricFetus Sanity going, going, gone Valued Senior Member

8. quadraphonics Bloodthirsty Barbarian Valued Senior Member

Meh. I'm not writing an academic paper here.

9. StrawDog disseminated primatemaia Valued Senior Member

This dates to November 2007 and indicates a return of 350 000 Afghan refugees. As of January 2009, the stats indicate a return of 278 000 Afghan refugees out of a total of 2.8 million. (link) The returned refugees amount to only 10% of the remaining refugees. Either way a positive trend, although it seems UNHCR is concerned whether Afghanistan can absorb the returning refugees under the present labour market condition.

10. ejderha Exhausted Registered Senior Member

Exactly.

11. Cowboy My Aim Is True Valued Senior Member

Good point. If Obama really was like Hitler, he'd actually have convinced the Olympics to come to his country.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

12. quadraphonics Bloodthirsty Barbarian Valued Senior Member

That's down from about 7 million back in 2002, according to those sources.

4-5 million refugees is pretty good, especially considering that some of them had been refugees for decades by that time.