Nothing really matters..

Discussion in 'General Philosophy' started by Enmos, Nov 20, 2007.

1. Enmos Valued Senior Member

That comment was kind of semi-serious though. I don't really believe that, I'm just wondering about it.
    Ofcourse, it can never be proven or disproven so it really doesn't matter

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Yorda Registered Senior Member

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Baron Max Registered Senior Member

Hmm, unfortunately, that's where all of the troubles begin! "Love" has probably caused more wars and conflicts and problems than any other one thing on Earth. And we damned sure don't need any more of it!

Baron Max

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Avatar smoking revolver Valued Senior Member

Not love - desire.

8. Baron Max Registered Senior Member

I'm not so sure that "love" and "desire" can be distinctly separated.

Baron Max

9. Carcano Valued Senior Member

The question here is really about the existence of a spiritual dimension.

If there is no immortal spirit...then yes, nothing matters, because everything from us humans to the universe itself is just temporary blobs of molecular accidents.

Im sure Dawkins wrestles with this on a daily basis.

10. Avatar smoking revolver Valued Senior Member

I am sure.

11. greenberg until the end of the world Registered Senior Member

Why is that? Substantiate.

12. greenberg until the end of the world Registered Senior Member

So am I.

13. greenberg until the end of the world Registered Senior Member

And how do you know that?

14. greenberg until the end of the world Registered Senior Member

You really are sure about things, Enmos!

15. greenberg until the end of the world Registered Senior Member

... Which would further mean that in order to know the set, there would always have to be more than the set.
    So we either don't know the whole set, or there is always more.

Your line of reasoning is flawed because it is making assumptions about the unknown and taking them for granted.

16. Grantywanty Registered Senior Member

Actually you can shake it off.
    I don't really have that thought any more.

Let me make a parallel again. A child walks out to her father with something she has made out of clay. He does not notice her for while but when he does he sees her hands are filthy. He never looks at the little sculpture of the dog she made, but rushes to the other room and sees clay on a table. He turns and snarls at her: 'you always make a mess'. The tone adds to the message that there is something wrong with her. She believes this because she is his child and he is so big and powerful and smart and wonderful.

Twenty years later she finds herself sitting and wondering why she always makes a mess of things having just broken up with a man who treated her badly. She sits for 10 minutes trying to figure why she is such a fucked up person. Every minute she focuses on herself and aims this question inward is a minute of not focusing on the real issue.

I have no idea what the real issue is in your case - or our cases since I have certainly had thoughts like this - but it is not
    . The mulling on this question is not pleasant. It will not resolve the real issue.

Last edited: Nov 21, 2007
  17. Grantywanty Registered Senior Member

For all you know the nothingness would feel a great sorrow and longing and this would call forth another universe. Perhaps that's what happened the first time. I really think this kind of thinking runs over the surface of some other process.

18. greenberg until the end of the world Registered Senior Member

Do you know why you can't shake it off?
    Can you identify that which drives you to think about it?

19. Donnal Registered Member

yeah i feel like im just here for the joke of it
    im tired of being alone wish i had a lover that would love me maybe that would make a difference in this world maybe i would have a meaning why im alive

but thats only a dream

20. Grantywanty Registered Senior Member

I sure know that feeling. Sorry you are there now. And better to focus on that dream and all the feelings around in and what you truly want and is not there and what is there in your life than abstract questions. You might also want to see if there are feelings you have not allowed yourself to feel before relating to men or 'the way things are' or desire. Or desires you have not allowed yourself to have. Sometimes when we shift what 'must be' inside what seems like 'it must be' on the outside shifts also.

21. heliocentric Registered Senior Member

If you squeeze your eyes really really tight one day might be at Grantywanty's level. Never give up the dream guys.

22. Enmos Valued Senior Member

I don't think any sort of spiritual dimension exists.

23. Enmos Valued Senior Member

To who else can it matter. And let humankind include other intelligent races that might be. Or all life for that matter.