Not to be offensive... why do Americans have such a poor sense of geography?

Discussion in 'Free Thoughts' started by FreeThinkers, Apr 5, 2007.

1. Genji Registered Senior Member

That's right. The Empire is all that matters. The rest of the world is perceived as our cat litterbox. Romans were the same way before they fell.

2. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. leopold Valued Senior Member

yes.
    sorry about the delay but i had to make a 60 mile trip.

4. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. BenTheMan Dr. of Physics, Prof. of Love Valued Senior Member

We just don't have any important neighbors.

In America, the closest real country is on the other side of an ocean.

6. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Prince_James Plutarch (Mickey's Dog) Registered Senior Member

Geography is no longer taught in school, that's why.

Seriously, you'd be hard pressed to find a highschool that offers it. Not to mention grade schools.

8. Genji Registered Senior Member

I was always a geography geek. I memorized all the independent countries and capitals by 5th grade. Of course that's a lifelong challenge since country names change, more countries become independent and capitals change. I'm good but weak on the South Pacific island countries and some Caribbean island states.

9. John99 Banned Banned

oh goody.

I personally think the OP is a BS artist extraordinaire.

10. Genji Registered Senior Member

Oh Goody.

11. John99 Banned Banned

He met an American ONCE (one American, one time), not knowing England and Ireland are two seperate countries is borderline retardation.

12. iam Banned Banned

^ah, then most of them are borderline retarded. I bet if I randomly went up to an american and asked this bs, "did you know ireland is the capital of england?" Their reply would be, "No, really?"

13. Prince_James Plutarch (Mickey's Dog) Registered Senior Member

Iam:

Test it out. Video tape it and ask 100 random people on the street.

14. Chatha big brown was screwed up Registered Senior Member

Yes, Americans may be self absorbed and pretentious, but everybody is complaining like Americans are the only ones. First world citizens are pretentious, period. I met an Italian guy one day at the park, his level of pretentiousness was enormous, it was mildly irritating but I veiled by disgust, plus he was a rather nice guy. British, Americans, Western European, Japanese, South African,e.t.c. all those f*ckers are all fuc*ing pretentious. Americans are a little different because they are more self absorbed than pretentious, the average American knows that America caters for all comers, so they don't really have time to be pretentious. The average American has everything he needs; culture, art, food, technology, people, so its very hard to blame those fu*kers.

15. iam Banned Banned

hahahaha..you've got it backwards. i've met europeans, middle easterners and asians including japanese and they are not pretentious. Actually no one is as pretentious as americans or as downright rude and badmannered. You see I actually live here(at the moment) and i've lived elsewhere too so I have experience in comparison.

It's interesting that americans keep making up imaginary pretentiousness of outsiders when in fact it is just a huge chasm of contrast in the level of their own uncouthness and the fact others don't buy their fantasy of their shit don't stink. They have the nerve to project pretentiousness on others just because they don't want to use manners or be cultured. That's utter bullshit and i've seen it pervasively.

16. iam Banned Banned

I don't have to, it's been done. There is a tv show, i think it's called 'street smarts' or something. Actually I can't remember but the host goes around america asking basic questions and the answers are retarded and embarassing. I noticed as usual americans don't realize they are stupid because their arrogance protects them.

17. Chatha big brown was screwed up Registered Senior Member

The Americans I've met are pretty down to earth, its the W.Europeans and Japanese that are quite rude and offensive in their pretentiousness. An American explained to me that if at all they ever appear pretentious, its because they have to take a lot of crap from their government, like immigration, integration, you know, the usual suspects. But by far, in my experience, Americans are the most down to earth and laid back culture. My visit to England is my only visit to Europe, except for the occassional airway connections in Western Europe. English youths are not pretentious, but I had some nuasiating indirect experiences with one or two people from the general adult population.

18. John99 Banned Banned

it makes a good tv show...ie. SCRIPTED.

19. iam Banned Banned

Then you are like americans so you can't see it.

This must be a joke, japanese are the most polite socially. I know. I don't know what the fuk you are talking about. Saying that europeans and japanese are quite "rude" and "offensive" is like blasphemy compared to how rude americans are.

Americans are not laid back, they are badmannered and smug which you interpret as 'laid back'. But then again, americans treat those who look like them better. Either you look white, hispanic, or african american or actually more correctly their behavior is natural or comfortable to you.

20. iam Banned Banned

There answers are not scripted dummy, those really are their answers no matter how many takes they make etc.

If you don't believe me, take those similar questions and do your own survey.

Get back to me and I'll be right.

21. John99 Banned Banned

You mean like this:

22. iam Banned Banned

Is that the best you could do??

It's what I would expect from an american, a shallow comeback.

I had this argument before, my behavior is not directly proportional to or does not change the the existence and reality of american rudeness or stupidity.

I know you wish it did but it ain't so. Unlike americans, I actually know what good manners are. I don't behave that way in real life as they do.

This is a forum, not real life.

23. TW Scott Minister of Technology Registered Senior Member

Of course we can't see it. Can't experience that which does not exist.

You're right, your statement here was a joke. Just becuase Amercans treat generally everyone with respect and as equals, and does not bow and scrape to people who think they are of higher station does not make use pretentious.