No such a thing as soy milk!

Discussion in 'Linguistics' started by Syzygys, Apr 22, 2008.

1. Syzygys As a mother, I am telling you Valued Senior Member

Seriously, I didn't intend such an in-depth discussion on this topic, just wanted to point out the silliness of soy milk.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Diode-Man Awesome User Title Registered Senior Member

There is a safe alternative to soy milk! Please consider human milk!

Anyone want cheese with that burger? "Ah yes, this cheese is special, straight from france, they were the first to adopt the new human cheese laws."

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. cosmictraveler Be kind to yourself always. Valued Senior Member

Like I'll go up to a beautiful looking woman and ask to suck her teats for thier milk, I'm sure that will go over well.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Archie Registered Senior Member

No such thing as soy milk?

What am I going to do with this little tiny stool?

8. Fraggle Rocker Staff Member

I haven't been following it. I'll have to go back and check it out.
    I don't know about almond milk, but almond butter is easy to find in a gourmet or health-food market like Trader Joe's or Whole Foods.
    If you weren't expecting silliness then you came to the wrong subforum.

9. Mrs.Lucysnow Valued Senior Member

Yea I agree with Syzygys, Soy milk is soy juice as is the same with coconut water. I notice in the States the later is referred as milk, in the islands its referred to as water and in Asia its juice.

I wonder why milk? Maybe its because it resembles milk like someone suggested.

10. hypewaders Save Changes Registered Senior Member

then my favorite penetrating oil isn't carefully milked from special little mouses? It seems I've been way overpaying for the stuff. I feel like I'm suffering from magnesia.

11. Fraggle Rocker Staff Member

At least they market it honestly. The stuff that's legally sold as "beer" in the United States must surely be mouse urine.

12. synthesizer-patel Sweep the leg Johnny! Valued Senior Member

Actually I reckon that is something of a myth - provided you know what to buy there is some fantastic beer in the US - most of it produced in microbreweries - the problem is that it stays there.
    The only stuff that makes it out of the country is the shit stuff.

(side story) When I was doing my Bsc I had a job in a bar to supplement my meagre student loan income.
    We sold proper Czech Budweiser and the pretend American stuff.
    Whenever anyone asked for a Bud, just for fun, I'd say "Real Bud or Pretend Bud Sir?"
    Invariably they'd ask for the real stuff, so I'd plonk a bottle of the Czech stuff in front of them.
    "what the fuck is this?"
    "Budwieser Sir"
    "Yeah but I asked for the real stuff"
    "that is the original budweiser beer sir"
    " I mean the other stuff"
    "that'll be the fake Budweiser then sir"
    "err ok I guess so"
    "tell you what - seeing as I've opened it for you - why don't you give it a try"
    "(sigh) Oh ok.......(glug!)......fuck! that stuff is Loads Better than the other shit!"

13. Gustav Banned Banned

ahh
    such a delight, this linguistic forum

14. Fraggle Rocker Staff Member

Actually I'm a Californian, despite my steady stream of iconoclastic remarks about my country and most especially its arrogant and incompetent government. California is a haven for microbreweries so we get all the good beer. But still most Americans drink Coors and Miller and all of that interchangeable stuff that really does have the taste and texture of mouse pee. They think they're being adventurous to drink Mexican or Canadian beer.
    How odd. Why is there a market for it there at all?
    One of the key differences between American beer and beer from anywhere else is the alcohol content. It's typically double. I absent-mindedly drank a couple of beers with my dinner in Budapest and could hardly walk out the door. Foreign beers that are imported here have to be specially formulated to conform to our laws.

The Czech name for the city is Budějovice, but when the Germans ruled they always called it Budweis, so the city still calls its beer Budweiser. Just as the Czechs call their city Plzeñ but it was always Pilsen to the Germans so the generic name for that style of brewing is Pilsner.