Next Great Extinction Around The Corner?

Discussion in 'Science & Society' started by livingin360, Mar 5, 2011.

1. birch Valued Senior Member

then nature is also what's short-sighted. many things have gone extinct. though we try to preserve certain species, the truth is life will go on and nature will either adapt or change species to adapt or produce new ones. there is also no guarantee that humans will be forever either.

life is precarious, extinction is probably waiting every lifeform down the line eventually til there is no life.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. ULTRA Realistically Surreal Registered Senior Member

birch, what a nice surprise. You've said something that is a) relavant and b) true.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Captain Kremmen All aboard, me Hearties! Valued Senior Member

You and MadAnthonyWayne are like Gods on here.
    I have to admire the amount of time you take over your disagreements.
    You have posted nearly 40,000 posts, and MadAnthonyWayne about 11,000.

Who knows, when you are at 100,000 posts, you might be saying:
    "You know what, you're being a bit disagreeable lately.
    I definitely don't like you"

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Enmos Valued Senior Member

Heh.. you know what he's saying though, don't you?

8. Captain Kremmen All aboard, me Hearties! Valued Senior Member

Yes, he's saying that biodiversity is a luxury, not a necessity.

I didn't say I agreed with him.

His philosophy is the same as people who burn the furniture in a hard winter.
    Works for one winter, but what do you do the next winter?
    Next winter you burn the floorboards and the stairs, etc etc.

9. chimpkin C'mon, get happy! Registered Senior Member

Not exactly...
    I'd say it's like someone who burns the blankets in a hard winter...

10. Enmos Valued Senior Member

If it was about humans and not about other organisms one might say he sounds like a psychopath. Only allowing others to be so long as they don't stand in the way of his own 'all important' agenda.
    I wish I could say that this line of thinking is rare..

11. Fraggle Rocker Staff Member

You mean "sociopath." The less precise term "psychopath" is not used any more except in vernacular language. Besides, you really did describe a sociopath, a person who lacks the pack-social instinct that commands humans to depend on and care about their pack-mates, allowing us to live more-or-less in harmony and cooperation with each other and to accomplish great things collectively such as the development of civilization. In psychological terms, one who completely lacks a sense of moral responsibility or social conscience.

12. Enmos Valued Senior Member

I stand corrected. Thanks

13. livingin360 Registered Senior Member

who are you guys talking about?

14. Enmos Valued Senior Member

Post #34

15. ULTRA Realistically Surreal Registered Senior Member

Indeed. He shows no inkling of understanding of how life inter-depends. He would evidently be happy to live in a concrete box and tarmac every available scrap of land. He doesn't seem to realise that trees produce oxygen or that 60% of all drugs come from plants.

16. livingin360 Registered Senior Member

I can see where he's coming from. He kinda is exaggerating the behavior of humans to say they are so selfish and greedy that if faced with a choice of make the tiger nonexistent and be wealthy or stay the way they are they would choose the first one. The real meaning behind this is like the people from Haiti flooding into the Dominican republic which is trying to protect their forests from deforestation from the country next to them. (satellite photography here)
    When a biologist approached a random person from haiti who illegally settled over the border and chopped down a small group of trees to make a farm his excuse was its such a little bit it wont hurt anything. Us as individual people we do the same thing ourselves with our cars and consumerism and not wanting to manage how much offspring we have. We all say its just a little bit it wont hurt anything but in the big picture its creating a major problem.

17. SciWriter Valued Senior Member

I have seen the future…

It's coming…

The ninja leaders and their teams flew into Niihau on their last tanks of gas, there to take sanctuary and a vote for a desperate but uncertain plan. The landing strip now had quite a tricky slope to it.

Many near extinctions had occurred before, but none in modern times. However, death seemed to be a way of life throughout history. Of all extinctions, the Permian was the largest, happening 245 million years ago, when 95% of species perished, suddenly disappearing from the fossil recording; life had almost come to a total obliterationing.

That we are even here was due to the dinosaurs and 90% of all the species being wiped out. A small and nervous shrew-like creature looked out; the dinosaurs, the forever kings of the Earth, were gone. The ‘shrews’ then attached to a favorable evolutionary line; every single one of our forbears on both sides survived, they being attractive enough to locate a loving mate with whom their love to celebrate.

18. birch Valued Senior Member

what another strange response. who do you think you are? i thought you put me on ignore but think you have some right to decide if my posts are relevant to this forum or not.

what's even more relevant is my post was in response to yours which was rather more rhetoric (save all species, humans are at fault but not nature etc) and not as realistic.

i've said many things on this forum which are relevant and true as well as posts that are probably faulty as well just like anyone else. there is plenty of erroneous posts on this forum just like anywhere else. my posts are not unique, asshole.

what i think is funny is you said you put me on ignore probably because you can't handle posts that are not popular opinion or the status quo.

Last edited: Mar 11, 2011
  19. Captain Kremmen All aboard, me Hearties! Valued Senior Member

If it was a concrete box filled with guns and ammo, he'd be very happy.

20. livingin360 Registered Senior Member

So here's a productive question. How do we create a solution?

21. chimpkin C'mon, get happy! Registered Senior Member

-One, start trying to protect what's left by not killing it because it isn't making someone money. This means recognizing the whole concept of population bottlenecks, also: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Population_bottleneck So keeping on nearly annihilating species before we save them is damaging their long-term genetic strength.
    So let's please do the best we can to stop, especially those of us in first-world countries-we have no freaking excuse.

-Two, empower women, so that they can have jobs and educations...and not require to be maintained financially by a male. Also, reduce infant mortality. Then women won't have so many kids. There's always going to be a few female loons who think their cooter's a clown car, but most are a bit more sensible than that.

-Three, start work immediately on building a more carbon-neutral infrastructure.

-Four, universal, global education, so that people start understanding the big issues...at least global literacy.

-Sustainable-production methods of agriculture needs to replace slash-and-burn agriculture in the poor areas of the world.

-(and here's where I piss everybody off) Meat production triples the amount of land needed to support someone who eats it as their main protein source. Maybe if it was only an occasional treat in the diet instead of a staple of those who don't really need it, we'd have much more space for wildlife. (Hint: if you get obese eating the typical western diet, you might not need to eat it.)

We're still going to lose a lot of species.

This does not constitute an excuse to keep on with our spoiled B.S.

Last edited: Mar 12, 2011
  22. birch Valued Senior Member

well that's not really true. there are plenty of sociopaths who can live in harmony and cooperate to build a civilization (especially if most of them are sociopaths). as well there are those on the fringe of society that are not sociopaths. i've met some of the sweetest and innately ethical and kind people that were outcasts by society and more socipaths actually being 'included' in society. this is one of the reasons why communism doesn't work more or less either in principle. you get people to cooperate with the opportunity for personal gain even at the expense of others which many or even most would do if there weren't laws. how many people would return a lost wallet full of money? not many but a few would.

everyone wants the good things in life, even sociopaths of course so they will cooperate with those especially that keep them in power or include them in the power structure. interestingly enough, even sociopaths feel a kinship with those who are similar to them which are actually quite a lot of people which make up the status quo of respectibility. since they are the majority, that's what makes up society. i would say at least half of society could be defined as some sort of sociopath more or less.

Last edited: Mar 12, 2011
  23. Enmos Valued Senior Member

Here's how. Stop meddling as much as possible and dramatically reduce in numbers.