New Wikileaks Dump is Unconscionable

Discussion in 'Ethics, Morality, & Justice' started by countezero, Nov 29, 2010.

1. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

Actually, I think the one who steals the documents is officially accountable. Since they are usually under some non-disclosure contract which includes penalties for breaking it. The average citizen, I believe cannot be held responsible for taking the documents to the public. But I could be wrong.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Captain Kremmen All aboard, me Hearties! Valued Senior Member

I did say that people would suspect that this has been orchestrated.
    But what about the volume of it?

No, sorry, it overestimates the competency of the US government.
    They can hardly competently release the information they want to release, never mind release tens of thousands of documents that they are pretending that they don't want to release. Think about it.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

I don't think its orchestrated. There are no surprises here.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Captain Kremmen All aboard, me Hearties! Valued Senior Member

It's the other way round.
    The fact that there are no surprises might lead some people to believe that the leaks are controlled.
    The man that set up the site is an Australian, not an American, though he spent quite a lot of time in the US
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Julian_Assange

8. countezero Registered Senior Member

It's just you.

You are very wrong. Anyone with classified information in their possession who is not supposed to have it can be prosecuted. How do you think espionage laws are enforced?

It's no surprise. People are dumb, and in many cases, they are being misled by their government or their press. Plus, it's just cool and hip to hate on the US these days.

The sort of people who are dumb enough to believe your previous statement have already said as much. They just can't believe the US is not more evil than this...

9. ejderha Exhausted Registered Senior Member

I don't think that would surprise anyone.

10. ejderha Exhausted Registered Senior Member

Lol, I am glad to hear that actually. How are you?

Do you personally think it's a real leak? I am really asking to learn your opinion.

11. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

I doubt it, if that were true, Assange would have been in prison long ago. Why do you suppose they have Sweden incriminating him in a months old rape case? Why don't they just arrest him for treason?

And I'm right, [what else?]

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2373662,00.asp

But in the famous tradition of "yes we can, but..."

Last edited: Dec 1, 2010
  12. iceaura Valued Senior Member

I listed two. Do you maintain that there has been no major faction of US citizens who believed the war in Afghanistan was a success and a victory until recently, or that some people to this day think the Surge in Iraq was and remains a success and a victory and the creditable cause of recent major improvements in that arena?
    But it probably is in this case, certainly if it leads to an improvement in the comprehension of what their government has been doing, on the part of US citizens.

It might easily be more difficult to continue pushing the delusion lines, even in the mainstream US media, with a few more fishbones of information lodged in the propagandist's throat. The shortage of simple facts in the public awareness and media presentations allows all manner of bs to be established as a sort of alternative reality, politically useful for some but ultimately harmful to the country as a whole.
    We weren't talking about him.

You exemplify the effects of the US media standard framing very well.

13. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

I was wrong. There are some (very minor) surprises.

Hoo boy!

Some more stuff on how the US handles foreign policy
    http://www.commondreams.org/view/2010/12/01-0

14. countezero Registered Senior Member

Chomsky's opinions aren't worth much.

And I'm surprised you're surprised that Pakistani leadership might help LeT. I just wrote a large chunk of material on the Mumbai attacks. Pakistan's fingers are all over the attacks, and that angle has been covered pretty extensively.

The surge was successful -- and no, I'm not refighting that argument with you, either.

As for Afghanistan, I think people respond to reality. The situation several years ago is very different from where it is today. You can't expect appreciations to be wholly consistent if reality is not. I mean, what you're really on about is that you think Afghanistan was a failure. Period. And you think the fact that things look grim now proves you were right all along. Problem is, you ignore periods where things were demonstrably less grim and you scoff at the positive perceptions people voiced during those periods. Of course, I'm also talking to someone who thinks the entire conflict there is largely about pipelines that don't exist, so nobody should really care what you think about anything.

Regardless, nothing in the Afghan or Iraq leaks was "news." All of the details it provided were well known flourishes to the accepted theme that these countries are struggling to consolidate corrupt and non-functional democracies. That is why nobody other than the fringe cared about the actual content of the leaks then or now. And this gets really at the phenomena driving the leaks apparent popularity. You have people who are whipped into a frothing, frenzy of anti-Americanism every time something comes out. The leaks are just a convenient agitator that allows them to express opinions they already hold in a new context -- one which they mistakenly believe has a new paradigm.

I fail to see how that's the case. Maybe if you point to something and explain what it means and how you think it changes anything I can respond with more specificity. But right now, you're just offering up sentiment.

Well, that's my mistake. No need to be a complete ass about it. Assange cannot be a traitor for obvious reasons.

Last edited: Dec 1, 2010
  15. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

I thought you were overstating the case, but with just a brief perusal of whats in store and the fact that the cables cover the period from 1966 to 2010, I think this has the potential to be a Big Fucking Deal. And they cannot blame anyone for this, why the frick do they have everything stored in one place? Even I know enough to archive and store off line.

16. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

They haven't even all been released yet, and countezero says there's nothing to see here. Although it does undermine our government, it also gives the average citizen a look into how realpolitik works. It's often not very flattering. This is more news in one place than the major news networks cover all year, if news is just information about how the world works.

17. ejderha Exhausted Registered Senior Member

And how many percent of the files are out yet? 1-2 %? I don't know Sam. If it's that bad, let's hope not.

18. Echo3Romeo One man wolfpack Registered Senior Member

Hackers don't leak information, they steal it. Leaks come from the inside, from somebody who has gained access to the medium through proper channels. In PFC Manning's case this meant passing the requisite background checks for obtaining a TS/SCI clearance, which is not terribly difficult. In any case, whether we're talking about Manning burning CDs full of documents that end up in the hands of a hacker who runs a website or Walker photocopying schematics of cryptographic equipment that ends up in the hands of a KGB agent, the technology used to facilitate each leak is incidental. The key aspects of the leak itself all come down to the one person.

As far as your point about the geek squad and the developing world, sure, I agree, and so do most governments, militaries, and NGOs. However that simply indicates a new dimension to security. It doesn't automatically imply that said organizations are going to suck at it. I mean, DDoS and intrusion attacks aren't exactly anything new. I don't share your belief that there is some kind of inevitable security crash on the horizon that nobody else sees coming.

I favor the status quo to a rather nebulous set of consequences that, while tangential to the status quo, may or may not be a meaningful improvement and could potentially be far worse.

There are fears that one of the consequences to this leak and its timing will be to derail the Senate's voting to approve our next START treaty with Russia. That's a more tangible security concern to me.

19. iceaura Valued Senior Member

You have never fought that argument - you simply and repeatedly assert the obviously false, in the face of all the evidence - most recently, the material in these leaks, which clearly would be news to you if you were capable of comprehending it and its implications.

Responding to reality would include such things as dropping the notion that the Surge was "successful", in light of the info available from the recent leaks if all the previous info was overlooked - an example of the possible consequences of this material being made public.

Clearly many people have not been responding to reality - do not even seem to be aware of significant aspects of reality, seem to be not merely mistaken but profoundly misinformed, uninformed, oblivious to simple facts.

In such a situation, a data dump like this one could be significant, influential. Depending on how it's covered by the respectable media, which again has some awkward backtracking to do, of course.
    Things looked grim all along. There was no time when they looked less grim - you are remembering your reality-free assertions then, the "positive perceptions" the lefties were calling bs on at the time, as if they were some kind of actual situation.
    Do you expect the victims of the rolling disaster referred to above as "status quo" to share your preferences?

There are rather a lot of them.

Last edited: Dec 2, 2010
  20. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

I've been trying to think what aspects of US foreign policy could be exposed from 1966-2010

Vietnam? Cold War? Israel nuclear transfers? EU? China? Iran? Iraq? It will be an interesting look into the corridors of politics of this century.

I tend to think the other way around. If its THAT bad, then lets see it asap.

21. CptBork Valued Senior Member

Ah, but they don't contain any info on the 150lb. cat rescued from the narrow sewer pipe, the toothless man with no shirt who got caught stealing peoples' lunches, and the girl who performed her concert in see-through shorts. I'm not terribly impressed by the lack of substance contained in the leaks to date, I hope the pace picks up in the coming days.

22. ejderha Exhausted Registered Senior Member

I get you Sam, trust me. When I was "overstating" the only thing in my mind was if this shit is real and that big that it could change and define the world politics overall. And last time that happened -after 9/11- everything has changed. My country has changed for the worse. The world has changed for the worse.
    And that change was rapid in a sense and more importantly 'visible', because right or wrong there was a sudden action commited triggering it. What's gonna happen now?

The change will be invisible, mostly unrecognisable and sneaky. You think it was dark behind walls and curtains before, NOW it's going underground for good.

So that's why, I wish those files to be harmless and stupid gossip. That's why I don't want to know everything. It's not ideal I know. But I am expressing emotions and they are not rational.

23. Captain Kremmen All aboard, me Hearties! Valued Senior Member

I'm beginning to wonder just what unpleasant surprises could be in these documents.
    Possibly the newspapers are only releasing fairly safe stuff at this time.
    If your theory,above, is supported by material in the leaks, it could cause unnecessary conflict.
    Other stuff could cause wars.
    It is "shouting fire in a crowded theatre", as the old argument goes.

No he's not a traitor, but he is guilty of espionage.
    And Sweden's free speech laws have helped him to do that.

There is a difference between whistle blowing, and what has been done here.
    Whistle blowing exposes corruption.
    This is taking a nation's secrets, and letting anyone read them, without regard to the harm it could do.

Last edited: Dec 2, 2010