New Jersey bans gay conversion therapy for minors

Discussion in 'Human Science' started by Magical Realist, Aug 19, 2013.

1. arauca Banned Banned

Yes there is a society on Homosexuals . There is an organized pressure group to change laws and the so called elected officials respond to pressure groups , specially in California and in large urban city . The rural elected official are without power, other vice homosexual marriages would go nowhere.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Bells Staff Member

Why should they remain in the closet?

Are you open about your sexuality? Why aren't gays allowed the same privilege that you enjoy?

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Fraggle Rocker Staff Member

You don't have the faintest understanding of gender identity. No one is "perverted" into being gay. They are born that way. All that can happen is that they are coerced into pretending to be heterosexual. This causes great emotional damage. Eventually they accept their own identity and break out of their constriction. Then ignorant people like you say, "Omigod! He became homosexual!"

You really are an ignoramus. Do you not even read the newspapers? Laws permitting gay marriage were passed in several states by popular vote. Only in the Deep South is there still tremendous hatred for gay people, and those people still hate Afro-Americans and Latinos so their opinions aren't worth shit.

I'm surprised you didn't suggest a specific place.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

Religionists by definition have the ability to believe things that conflict with reality, or at best stretch credulity while having absolutely zero supporting evidence. For these people, ignoring news reports is easy.

If you can believe that a man survived inside a whale's stomach, with no oxygen to breathe... if you can believe that the earth was once covered with water so deep that it reached the top of the Himalayas, requiring four or five times as much water as there is... if you can believe that a man was dead and then sprang back to life... Then it must surely be really easy to believe that the headline in a newspaper is wrong.

Yes, it's better to use some more descriptive, standardized nomenclature so as not to include the "Religious Left," a label which, oddly enough, was never coined but includes a lot of people.

This is why I, personally, campaign for adoption of the phrase "the Religious Redneck Retard Revival."

But in those places it is okay to do it with non-human animals!

How would you like it if we all said we have no bad feeling about YOU and your hateful prejudice, so long as YOU stay in the closet?

Would that be okay with you? By the opinions of the majority of Americans, gay people are more acceptable than you are.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. billvon Valued Senior Member

Sure they do. They can teach their children that blacks, jews, homosexuals, immigrants, even whites are evil and should not be accepted.

Good parents, of course, do not do this.

Good! And they won't have any bad feelings towards you if you don't try to oppress them.

Yes. And homophobes are now seeing some of that reaction.

8. wegs Matter and Pixie Dust Valued Senior Member

lol

but that's just it...I'm saying I didn't know about this story at all, and it was inferred that the reason for that, is because i'm religious and unaware of what my 'leaders' are doing. (as is supposedly common amongst the religious)

Fundamentalists and right wingers are not my 'leaders.' They are typically the ones piloting anti - gay initiatives. (I base that off fact; it's not my opinion)
    That's more of what I was getting at...
    To each's own, everyone can think what they like...but it's dangerous on either side of the coin to stereotype; that's really more my point.

I consider myself an independent, but as far as labels go...that would be a 'compromise.' lol

LOL @ 'Revival'

@ arauca, I don’t label people…but I tend to look at actions. Because I want to believe everyone has the ability to change. You have made a slew of sexist comments (in my sexist thread no less)…you make bigoted remarks about homosexuals. Are you aware of what ‘hate speech’ is? It’s a very real thing. You should read into it…and open your mind to the fact that not everyone has the same lifestyle you do. And that of those who live differently than you, they have a right to live that way in freedom and peace. For the point of this thread…what occurred in these therapists’ offices is abuse and illegal. Abusing patients for any reason is illegal, and unethical and violates basic human rights.

9. billvon Valued Senior Member

So you think that "society" = "lobbyists?" They're really not the same thing.

The elected officials are listening to the will of the people and allowing gay marriages, since most people want them. People like yourself (a distinct minority) always have the option of moving somewhere where gays are not tolerated, like Iran or Saudi Arabia. If it's that important to you, you might want to consider it. If it's not, you may have to live with people who are different than you are.

10. arauca Banned Banned

What you are saying . If you don't agree with my view you are homophobes. What you are saying my way or no way
    Taste can be changed . I like potato my wife likes rice , so I eat rice.

11. Fraggle Rocker Staff Member

There was in fact a Religious Redneck Retard Revival in the late 1970s and early 80s.

The Baby Boomers had always assumed that they were the first people to ever do the things they did. Rebellion, raucous music, drugs, atheism, pacifism, libertine sex, racial integration etc... they had no idea that something very similar happened in the 1920s, and had happened at random intervals throughout history. So as they grew into adulthood they began to feel guilt for their "unique" dismissal of their elders' culture.

They assuaged their guilt by lining up to join fundamentalist churches, rather than Presbyterian or Methodist. Since most of these churches were headquartered in the South (the "Bible Belt"), it was like they had suddenly converted to being Rednecks.

12. dumbest man on earth Real Eyes Realize Real Lies Valued Senior Member

WTF?!!??!!!

A real, actually decent, mentally healthy, well adjusted human being, in my eyes, would never even think that of another person, let alone speak it, or to go so far as to post it in a Open Forum.
    How can that, possibly, not leave a horrendous awful taste in your mouth, or a nasty, ugly, filthy stain on your psyche ?!!

13. billvon Valued Senior Member

Because all of them have experienced the same sort of bigotry at some time or another.

Ah, so you know how it feels to be attacked by bigots. I would think a good lesson from that would be - bigotry is bad no matter who you are attacking.

I do. One gay man I used to have as a roommate is now a Hollywood stuntman; he does mainly aerial stunts. He probably behaves more like a man than you do.

If you don't agree with me that's fine. Lots of people don't.

If you don't think that gays should have the same rights as everyone else - then it's the highway for you, because equality is happening, and all the anti-gay sentiment in the world won't stop it.

Cool! So your tastes can change. Most of society accepts gays, so you (presumably) will as well.

14. billvon Valued Senior Member

I wonder what your reaction would be if someone said something like that to you.

"Most gay men who are vehemently anti-normal-morality are probably heterosexuals who are just really fucked up. What's the matter? Never could get any women so you settled for men? Bitter and resentful that other men can get women but you can't?" Etc etc. I suspect you'd react pretty angrily rather than rationally.

In general I find it a good rule to not post anything that you'd be angry at if used by other people to answer you.

15. iceaura Valued Senior Member

My observation was that people unaware of famous and long publicized and much discussed doings of major religious factions tend to be adherents of those religions.

As you illustrate. Nothing was said about your "leaders", if any, and no following of leadership was mentioned - no mechanism was mentioned.

It's just a correlation. My intuition, after a lifetime of dealing with Abrahamic believers, leads me to presume a mechanism - my guess is something similar to the mechanism that leads patriotic citizens of a given country to be oddly unaware of their country's less admirable doings, compared with the targets and bystanders of those doings. Self-identified members of racial groups, especially dominant ones with informational control, exhibit this as well.

Most homosexual people belong to no political pressures groups. Those who do often belong to such groups as the Log Cabin Republicans - I'm guessing you weren't referring to them. In summary, homosexual people are spread throughout American society and are not separated out into their own society - your children as described by you, for example, might be gay but are not members of a "homosexual society".

16. Magical Realist Valued Senior Member

LOL! If someone called me a closet heterosexual I wouldn't mind at all. I totally accept other sexual orientations as fine, unlike the homophobe presently posting here. So spare me the Sunday school lesson..

17. origin Heading towards oblivion Valued Senior Member

So you think you could be convinced to find men sexually desirable, hmmmmm, interesting. That is just fine as far as I am concerned, I could care less, it just seems sort of ironic, no?

18. wegs Matter and Pixie Dust Valued Senior Member

@ iceaura;

I see better now what you were saying; thank you for clarifying that for me.

19. river

What is interesting to me is that primeval tribes , who for the most are naked , don't seem to have this problem

Not that I have come across anyway

20. Bells Staff Member

The irony, of course, is that what the both of you just said to him in his Magic's response to another member is that gay men and women are given the exact same message in conversion therapy.

21. Fraggle Rocker Staff Member

That would take all the fun out of internet forums.

A few cities have districts in which gay citizens congregate. San Francisco is the most famous: gays make up such a large portion of the population that they have considerable political power. West Hollywood, a suburb of Los Angeles that was submerged in the unincorporated chaos of Los Angeles County, recently incorporated and may now be a majority-gay city, although its second largest demographic is Jewish. Houston and Atlanta also have large, visible gay communities.

If you want to meet gay people who actually fit the stereotypes--the dialect, the gestures, the fussiness, the clothes, the remarkable politeness and cleanliness--these are the places. And by socializing with each other they learn to distinguish themselves from us. You'll never be hit on erroneously by a gay guy in one of those places.

I lived in Hollywood for ten years (part of L.A., adjacent to West Hollywood, also with a large gay population) and even though I'm not exactly a macho man, those guys could tell with one glance that I wasn't one of them. I always got along fine with 'em.

I was as homophobic as some of you when I moved to Hollywood--although I was civilized enough to admit it only to my closest friends. It was a good education.

22. wegs Matter and Pixie Dust Valued Senior Member

Curious...what causes ''homophobia?''

It boggles my mind as to why someone would be concerned with what another person does with his/her own body, with another consenting person. Further, if two people have been fortunate enough to find one another and 'fall in love', whether they be gay or not...that's a beautiful thing. The whole gay marriage 'argument' that has been taking place with some Christian groups in the political arena, again...makes no sense. One of the arguments has been that gay marriage will somehow 'cheapen' the value of heterosexual marriage. lol As if heterosexuals have that market cornered. Hmm...the hetero divorce rate is like 55%? And then there are those of certain Christian denominations, who believe God has personally instructed them to go forth and convert the world to their way of thinking. That gays are a problem. That God 'hates gays.' It's just strange to me that I've read the same Bible as them, and come away with an entirely different 'view' of God. I dun no...

If it weren't so sad, it'd be funny.

Here's a blurb from Wikipedia, when I did a search for the word 'homophobia.'
    According to the 2010 Hate Crimes Statistics released by the FBI National Press Office, 19.3 percent of hate crimes across the United States "were motivated by a sexual orientation bias."

Sad.

23. Enmos Valued Senior Member

TBI