New G5 iMac

Discussion in 'Computer Science & Culture' started by locknroll, Aug 31, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ElectricFetus Sanity going, going, gone Valued Senior Member

It can still run! just without a case, or hell he could put it back in if he wanted to.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Gravity Deus Ex Machina Registered Senior Member

On that very site they talk about the humor of seeing lobotomized Mac clones whining and cringing over having seen somebody do that!

Computers are just TOOLS. We might see folks who go to blows over that silly Chevy vs. Ford argument as moron rednecks . . . and so what about Mac Vs. PC?

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. river-wind Valued Senior Member

that site was a partial hoax- he only got ahold of a G5 case, and put x86 guts in it. It caused quite a stir when it first came out, before the truth of it was revealed.

My take on it at the time (when everyone thought it was real) was : If I were your parents, I'd be hell'a pissed. Not because you went Mac->PC, but because you turned a $3000 machine into a $1000 machine, wasted MY hard earned money, and didn't even have the honesty to tell me.

Gravity - what's your take on the three supercomputers being built with Macs (one being re-built with XServes to replace the original towers)? The VA Tech cluster was listed at #3 on the world's fasted super computer list (and at a tiny fraction oft eh cost), but is currently off that list during the re-build to save power/space and add EEC memory to improve stability. The Army cluster is expected to crack the top 20, and the mini-Army cluster (@ the U of MI, IIRC???) should do pretty well, too, though certainly not rank up with it's brethren.
    not to mention the xgrid enabled Stanford project:
    http://cmgm.stanford.edu/~cparnot/xgrid-stanford/gauge/gauge.html
    which has it's cluster spread out across the globe.

It seems like we are fully into an age of clustered computers instead of big iron machines...be it from Dell, Alienware, eMachines, or Apple.

'fanboys', of course.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

however, if you used a truck all day, and Chevy's provided that extra 5 pounds of tourque that you needed to get your job done, you'd sing Chevy's praises too. It's all about what job you want to get done. There are enough differences in Windows vs Mac OS X that people can, and will, have a preference.
    Or they argue for pointless reasons, like "I can play Quake at 375 FPS on my PC", or "My mac is Grape flavored!".

Last edited: Sep 7, 2004
  6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Gravity Deus Ex Machina Registered Senior Member

What do I think? I think that the current Top 500 Supercomputer list shows an interesting picture overall. Check it out: http://www.top500.org/list/2004/06/ but I also know that this list is a dance between ego's that changes constantly - and that IBM makes fast chips, and Linux is a nice OS and so perhaps a few of the spots will be high end Macs. None of these setups has anything to do with the reality of us mere mortals -- except giving little boy ego's ammunition for either side of the argument.

8. river-wind Valued Senior Member

best response ever. thanks!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.