need a science major:a glass on the table exploded tonight????

Discussion in 'General Science & Technology' started by nannanano, Nov 20, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. On Radioactive Waves lost in the continuum Registered Senior Member

i think the dishwasher could do it. i had a glass crack before just cooling from the heat of the dishwasher. this glass was about 15 years old, the bottom was pretty thick , about 3/4" and the sides were thin. it was an octagon that transformed into a circle at the top. bottom line, i think the different thickness caused stress when cooling, over many times in the dishwasher. the glass was not tempered and did not seem like it was very heat resistant.

somthing weird i've noticed: maybe the glass was just ready to go. i saw a tequilla bottle inplode from heat (torch) and it began to look very weird just before it imploded. the shape change and it almost looked loike a resonating mutation, until it could no longer handle the stress without fracturing and then imploded. this was a quervo 1800 bottle, not tempered, and took place at hot temperature ( bendable yet breakable)

also are you sure it was glass, and not crystal? that would make a difference. remember that glass is not a solid in the cystal sense but rather an amorphus solid

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. pumpkinsaren'torange Registered Senior Member

yep, there's a few things involved here that could have weakend its tensile strength. can we pin-point which variable/catalyst it actually was....i dunno. naw, now that i think about it..i think not.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. On Radioactive Waves lost in the continuum Registered Senior Member

well i'd say to have a guess based on more than mere speculation, you would first have to dertermine the composition of the glass

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. pumpkinsaren'torange Registered Senior Member

exactly.

hey! to whoever started this thread. we need the pieces of glass to examine! do you still have them. *drags out jr. detective lab kit* *puts on lab coat*

8. airdog prehensile Registered Senior Member

Art Bell just announced that his on final show he will be focusing exclusively on my "Haunted Milk Theory."

9. pumpkinsaren'torange Registered Senior Member

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

welp, that's art bell for ya!!

10. airdog prehensile Registered Senior Member

absolutely!

11. adam2314 Registered Senior Member

Yup.. think so too .. stress build up.. it may have been hit earlier on... it happens with windscreens quite often .. they break way ... way.. down the road after a stone hits them..

12. Fukushi -meta consciousness- Registered Senior Member

It IS the milk!
    some cow huh dude! Can you imagine what would have happened if you would have drunk the milk?!

13. pumpkinsaren'torange Registered Senior Member

chameleon smilies..

some smilie, dude!!

14. johnpombrio Registered Member

Common occurance with glass. What happens is that the glass was damaged in some way that started a hirline crack. This usually goes unnoticed. Run it throught the dishwasher and there is now more stress on the crack as the glass expands and contracts. The stress is now stronger and the glass is "primed" Drop the glass a little, handle it, or pur a cold liquid into it and the glass relieves the stress by shattering.
    Think of it like a small rip on a taut nylon tarp or an earthquake that "just happens". It's energy for the shattering was put in there before the actual event.

15. Fukushi -meta consciousness- Registered Senior Member

NO,....

I still like the other possibilities more,...imagine: A haunted cow!

Okay okay,...

16. orbie Registered Senior Member

Maybe somebody played the old memorex recording of the lady who sang at the frequency to shatter glass. It was their trademark and a forgery protection for awhile, because the other media types didn't have the quality to reproduce the resonance frequency of glass in such a way to shatter it.

17. prozak Banned Banned

!!! BB gun !!!

18. BumpMan Registered Member

Answer from a glass blower

Ive done quite a bit of glass blowing in the past and let me tell you its a VERY hard and technical material to work with. To blow glass you must keep it within a certain temperature 1700-2000 degrees while you work with it. To do so you have to continuously place your piece in a red hot 2500 degree furnace called a glory hole. If you work with your piece too long outside the glory hole the glass will cool too quickly which will cause hundreds tof tiny stresses in the glass and will very quickly expload right before your eyes. (too much tension in the glass) After you are done blowing a cup for example you need to anneal it which means placing your hot newly blown cup into an oven at 1000 degrees that SLOWLY brings the temp down to a handleable 200 degrees over around 24 hours. This way the stresses are kept to a bare minimum but are still in the glass. If your glass cup wasnt kept at exactly the right temperatures throughout the entire process it can inevitably expload anytime (even years later) Ive had the same thing happen to my cups but they will usually expload weeks or months after completion not years, but its absolutly possible.

The reason it looked like ice is because the glass was tempered (explained in previous posts). It was NOT safety glass. (using a thin film) It is physically near impossible to create a cup shape with that technology.

I would call this event normal and it actually happens a lot. If its going to expload it will 99% of the time expload before it gets out of the factory. You had a very 'special' cup. Pretty damn strong for a weak glass.

19. Fukushi -meta consciousness- Registered Senior Member

Finally!

Thank you for that enlightening explanation!

So welcome to sciforums Bumpman! And happy posting!

I guess that will be it for this thread,....to bad for the haunted cow theory,...

hehehe

I still don't get over that one wheeeheheeeLOL

20. ralph nader Banned Banned

Nader believes that safety issues like this should be backed by proper legislation.

21. Fukushi -meta consciousness- Registered Senior Member

This might sound silly, but I don't know what you mean by that?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.