Navy SEAL Workout

Discussion in 'About the Members' started by Absane, Jun 26, 2006.

1. Absane Rocket Surgeon Valued Senior Member

http://www.teenbodybuilding.com/brent2.htm

I have been wanting to do the Navy SEAL workout for some time... I tried it once and gave up after the first week.

Anyway I am back to do it again.. months later.

The first week is this:

# Running: 2 miles, 8:30 pace, Mon/Wed/Fri
    # Pushups: 4 sets of 15 pushups, Mon/Wed/Fri
    # Situps: 4 sets of 20 situps, Mon/Wed/Fri
    # Pullups: 3 sets of 3 pullups, Mon/Wed/Fri
    # Swimming: Swim continuously for 15 min. 4-5 days/week

I want to get in enough shape so I can do the first week to get the "ball rolling." I can do the running and swimming without much of a problem. I changed the situps to crunches because situps hurt my tailbone and my back. I'll just do 5 or so more crunches per set, perhaps variate them a bit.

However, I cannot do a single pullup (I can barely do one chin up, two if I am lucky) and I can do about 5 pushups before my muscles give up. For the pullups, I estimate I need to add about 35 pounds of "pullup force" (or drop 35 pounds, but I am only 11% body fat so I cannot do that).

Does anyone know the quickest way to improve on them? I am afraid the only advice I will get is "keep practicing." However, I cannot help but sense there are other exercises I can do that can work on the same muscles to help me along. I know nothing about exercise other than "do it."

And out of curiousity, has anyone else done this workout or interested in doing it, too?

2. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

Here's some exercises for the pull-ups:

http://www.military.com/NewContent/0,13190,Smith_082603,00.html

I worked with athletes for 2 years so in addition to what is in the list, I'll tell you this:

always have a warm-up routine

always have a cool down routine

This will avoid any injuries ( or at least minimize them)

Drink a lot of water and check your resting pulse every morning.

All the best, sounds like you'll be having fun!

4. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Absane Rocket Surgeon Valued Senior Member

Excellant... I shall look in to that. Thank you.

How long do you think it would take for me to be able to lift 35 more pounds (hence being able to lift myself in a pullup)? I estimated this figure by using a series of weights and a weight scale... the difference between how much up force I created (pullup) and the downforce (gravity) was 35 pounds. (In case anyone is actually interested in how I did that).

6. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

Sorry I just know the nutrition part!

8. sargentlard Save the whales motherfucker Valued Senior Member

Yup, sorry, can't rush progress.

Even they require time.

I might just do it.. Can't swim and can only do about 3 pullups on a very good day. Push ups are easy.

Does it say 2 miles in 8 mins and 39 secs or is that alloted amount of time per mile?

9. Tnerb Banned Banned

why
    "brent2"
    is in the link?
    lol

10. Tnerb Banned Banned

my brothers in the navy.

11. Roman Banned Banned

It's best to do sit-ups last, as you need your abs to keep your guts in while doing all the other work outs.Doing sit-ups last prevent a lot of groin/abdominal injuries.

You can use more than just your arms to pull-up. Try swinging a little bit, or 'kipping' where you use your lower body momentum while hanging to help you up. I find I can increase the number of pull-ups I do by about 50% when I kip. I also find when I do extended sets of many pull-ups, I end up having to use all different muscles groups or else I start to hurt stuff. Pull-ups are a great upper body exercise. I used to be able to max at 30. Now I can do about 15, though usually 8 or 12 a set.

If you want to do pull-ups, just focus on only doing pull-ups without weakening yourself with other exercies. Do pull-ups first, then push-ups, then sit-ups.

12. Oniw17 ascetic, sage, diogenes, bum? Valued Senior Member

Now that I've seen the workout, I'm going to start it this week. What's the difference between pullups and chinups?

13. Absane Rocket Surgeon Valued Senior Member

From what I understand, pullups are the most challenging exercise you can do with your body... most people, I think, can do a chin up.. hell, I have been inactive for years and I can still for chinups.. can I have never been able to do a pullup to save my life.

(note to evertonhe... I am wasted tonight so my grammer and typing skills might suck.. sorry)

14. Absane Rocket Surgeon Valued Senior Member

Well, I was hoping to isolate single muscles (as in, exercise single muscles at a time instead of 3 or so at a time).

4:15 a mile is really hard to do... they mean 8:30 a mile.

15. thedevilsreject Registered Senior Abuser Registered Senior Member

the are both exactly the same see here according to wikipedia
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chin_up

16. Genji Registered Senior Member

Uhhh, I'd need a paramedic after a workout like that. :bugeye:

17. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

Here is a link for strength training: ( ACSM guidelines are good )

http://www2.gsu.edu/~wwwfit/strength.html

18. phlogistician Banned Banned

Jesus, Navy Seals are wimps.

My weekly workout includes;

Running three times per week, between 5 and 7 miles, sometimes I throw in a nine. (8:30 pace for longer runs, 8:10 for 5 miles)
    Walking between four and eight miles each day.
    Mixed weights. (at least 40 curls per arm of 10Kg, 20 neck raises of same, btw, NO MACHINES, free weights only. Machines are for girls.)
    600 situps a day.
    100 pushups a day.
    Pull ups/chinups. at least ten of each.

Plus various kata and other sports.

19. domesticated om Stickler for details Valued Senior Member

Wow. You sound like a highly tuned machine. How long does doing all this take you per day?

20. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

Do you do anything else besides exercise?

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

21. invert_nexus Ze do caixao Valued Senior Member

My thoughts exactly.
    I'm slacking on it lately, but I used to do like 400 situps and pushups a day too.
    Never was much into walking or jogging, but I move around all damn day at work so that's no biggy. Lower body strength has never been an issue.
    Pullups I've never been much into. Probably should though. I used to try them for the hell of it every now and again and could usually do at least 5 or 6 no problems...

Wow.
    Navy seals.

And. Sam and Om. The situps and pushups don't take more than an hour or two. I'd usually do some in the morning and some at night. Split it up.
    I'd guess that Phlog's workout probably doesn't take much more than that either. Minus the walking and running, of course.

I've been thinking about changing the situps to abdominal crunches when I get back into exercising... More effective, from what I've heard. I'm not sure I'm doing them right though...

22. Tnerb Banned Banned

you guys are wimps. i'm about 120 pounds, ok, and I can do about 20 pullups.
    Probably, no seriously, probably more than that!

My brother is in the navy, and, I don't believe they are wimps.
    All for the workouts, if you're a social creature, even if your not I guess

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

23. invert_nexus Ze do caixao Valued Senior Member

The lighter you are, the easier the pullups are to do.
    It's heavier people that have more difficulty with them.

As to the 'workout'. It's not the official Navy Seal workout. It's intended for kids. To get them started, I suppose.

Pretty damned weak though.
    I mean. Come on. 45 situps? 45 pushups?
    You should be able to do 4 reps of 50 pushups no prob. And the same with situps.
    Come on now.
    Then take a break and do it again.
    Voila. 400 of each. No big deal.

Edit: Actually, my general routine is 3 reps of 50, then 2 reps of 25. Sometimes I make it to 4 reps of 50 though. I do try. But sometimes can't make it all the way through and have to split the last rep.