N. Korea - Have the major players positioned themselves for inevitable war?

Discussion in 'World Events' started by Pheegen, Oct 19, 2006.

1. Pheegen Registered Senior Member

A question: Have N. Korea and the US policies towards each other left this situation with only two out comes; either side backs down, or war?

Now, I can't see the Bush administration backing down and coming to talks, that would be an international embarrassment and a signal to the rest of the world that their present policy has been wrong. Would also signal that extortion works.

I also can't see N. Korea backing down. That would also be an embarrassment.
    Also, the North said that sanctions would be an act of war and that they would retaliate in kind. Now sanctions are in and if the North don't retaliate in kind that will be a show to the rest of the world that their word is water.

Now, North Korea is desperate, all the actions to date show that they are becoming more and more desperate.
    From a N. Korean perspective, is war worse off for them then suffocating slowly under heavy sanctions?

If they choose war, i'm sure they would have the means to take Seoul pretty quickly. Long term the US could defeat them, but not without a national draft, and can the American people stomach a national draft after Iraq?

To me, the chips seem to be slightly in favour of N. Korea, if that is so, I beleive they have a crazy enough leader to try and take advantage of it.

What do you think?

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Genji Registered Senior Member

How is testing nukes, as all nuke powers do, make NK desperate? They have nuke technology and have every right to test them, as all nuke powers have before. This doesn't make them desperate. The US is scared of countries they can't invade on a whim. W/o nukes US troops will be rounding up your family and spiriting them off to a secret torture prison if nukes aren't used as a deterrent.
    The US needs war to keep military contract spending up and keeping the sheeple terrified. The worst thing that could happen to the Bush mafia is peace on the Korean Peninsula. (or 'peninchula' as the Mighty GW says.)

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Pheegen Registered Senior Member

Are you implying that they have tested the nuke for purely scientific purposes, when before they tested it they claimed that if the US came to bilateral talks they wouldn't do it?

No, the test was purely a politcal move, they are trying to get the US to bilateral talks. I feel he is starting to feel pressure from the N. Korea elite and he fears being overthrown if he can't start getting some foreign cash.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Clockwood You Forgot Poland Registered Senior Member

What the US is scared of is a nation geared entirely for war with a million man army and a population who worships their leader as an actual diety. A nation with dozens of death camps, where doubt in the powers that be gets not just you but your entire family slain. A nation that has declared that it will conquer an ally of ours by any means necessary... and is unlikely to stop there.

And you wonder why the United States is worried. Unless we end this quickly, I doubt we will be getting out of this without seeing South Korea either enslaved or on fire and Japan missing a city or two. North Korea is performing blackmail pure and simple. Give in to their will or they will leave as much of the world as they can reach nothing but rot and ash.

8. Genji Registered Senior Member

The US isn't capable of ending anything there. We are capable of fucking things up even more by building this arms race though. It's a regional problem for SK and Japan, Russia & China to deal with. The US track record of 'dealing' with global conflicts is abysmal. If 3rd World rebels in Iraq & Afghanistan are able to bog us down in a no-win war we haven't a chance against an army of 1million highly disciplined enemy troops. You know it, I know it and the American people know it.

9. Pheegen Registered Senior Member

Clockwood, I totally agree. Can you see a realistic way out of this?

I can't see a way out that would appease all sides....

10. Pheegen Registered Senior Member

Actually, Genji, the US forces are geared better to fight N. Korea then the type of warfare in Iraq and Afghanistan. N.Korea has conventional arms and tactics, even if it is in greater numbers.

But that still dosen't say they would do it easily, it would be long and painful.
    2500 US soldiers dead in Iraq in what 4 years? In Korea they would loose that in the first minute.

11. Genji Registered Senior Member

Both good points. NK is a marked national enemy with uniforms and flags while the rebels in Iraq are international fighters without anything but homemade bombs and guns. NK is a diversion for the war criminals in Washington that created the war on Iraq. We have no reason to believe we would be successful in a conflict with NK. The US fled them once already in a standoff.

12. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

It's a problem the US needs to deal with, but I don't think a war is inevitable. In fact, I think it's highly unlikely. The sanctions North Korea is getting are not very complete. The American press made a big deal out of halting of luxury goods, but the Chinese/Korean border is busy with traffic, and the Chinese did not concede to searching ships at sea. We depend on the Chinese, and we are not in a position to bargain, since China owns so much of our debt.

North Korea is in a strong position. Bush will try to look strong while doing nothing, kind of like in Iraq. There might be plans to attack Iran, however. This would be as crazy as attacking NK, so it would need some kind of justification, possibly fabricated, possibly the result of secretly leaving ourselves open to some degree of attack. The difference is that instead of partnering ourselves with China, our partner would be Israel. Also we already have assets in the area.

On the plus side, it seems NK's latest test was plutonium from their reactors, not enriched uranium. The test was also not very large. We know about how much plutonium they have due to Clinton's previous deal. This means their program is in it's infancy.

13. Pheegen Registered Senior Member

Well in that situation spider, how far to you think the North will push the US before they pushed too far?

If they test again(if they have the means to), what would the US do then?
    Sanction are already down, and they wouldn't dare strike first, so where does that leave them?

14. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

Nk wants to be a player, that means going nuclear. They will test again. We can't do much of anything. Sanctions could be stronger.
    The North doesn't want us to attack them, but they know we won't sacrifice South Korea and relations with China in the process.
    It's just as much a stalemate as since the end of the war, which never officially ended.

15. Pheegen Registered Senior Member

Spider, what happens when the North finally realise that the US wont allow them to be a player? At least the US under Bush anyway.

16. Genji Registered Senior Member

The US doesn't have the authority to declare who is a player and who isn't.

17. madanthonywayne Morning in America Registered Senior Member

18. Masterrelin Registered Member

Pheegan has hit the nail on the head the US is ticked that its global reach is showing limitations and whats worse the people of the world are realizing that. The US can no longer take strong action against NK without further destroying its respect in the UN, NK can only be punished by severed ties with china and other surrounding countries

19. Clockwood You Forgot Poland Registered Senior Member

There is little doubt that we could win over North Korea in very little time using the right tactics. The problem here is that we would have to set half the country on fire and essentially sterilize everything within miles of the border. There is also some doubt on if we could do so before NK could at least make an initial bombardment of the south. This is the result of some of their earlier attempts at blackmail by holding the south hostage.
    Authority is an illusion because there is no one who can offer or deny it... except by an act of force. There is only desireable and undesireable.
    Lets just say I feel it would be very undesireable to let spikey-haired Kim continue to hold a knife to the throats of SK and Japan a minute longer.

20. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

Besides, it's mostly just a distraction from what's happening in Iraq and at home.

21. Clockwood You Forgot Poland Registered Senior Member

Hmmm... I thought some of your fellow barking moon-bats were saying that it was Iraq that was the distraction from everything else. Which is it?

Iraq might be a mess but as far as I know none of the insurgents there are going to have nukes pointed at anybody anytime soon. People, mostly people other than our soldiers, die and what is for a war a pretty slow pace in Iraq. With North Korea it is quite possible that all the casualties from the Iraq War to date, even the absurdly high numbers given by some of the nuttier sources, could be equaled and surpassed in a single week if things heat up. You tell me which we need to keep our eye on more.

22. Pheegen Registered Senior Member

I agree clockwood, it would be undesireable to continue to let him threaten the way he does.
    If I lived in Seoul, i'd be rather worried about what N. Korea think all this will achieve, considering they could level Seoul in an hour with just their artillery thats already set up there.

So what do you do??

Another question, why would N. Korea be stating things like 'that we will view sanctions as a decleration of war, and retaliate in kind' when they knew that sanctions being imposed was going to happen. They backed them selves into a corner with where the only way out is to go back on their word or war.
    If they really don't want war, it would seem strange that they would make such comments.

Could it be that he is getting towards the end of his life, and he wants to see this military that he has spend so much on in action before he goes?
    And by testing his nukes and having sanctions imposed he is purposely positioning his nation so that war seems like the best option?

Does anyone think this guy cares about N. Korea after he's dead?

Just thinking out loud......

23. phonetic stroking my banjo Registered Senior Member

Maybe the stage is being set. China wants to go to war with the US, but needs a good excuse. NK needs food and a better economy to one day rejoin S Korea. China let's NK stir the shit, the US gets upset and China ally with NK.

Or maybe not

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

I'm not so sure. The people know next to nothing of the outside world. They're led to believe North Korea is paradise on earth. The population will do whatever they're told to do, out of fear if not respect. That's 22 Million people. Their military is huge and there are thousands of underground bunkers to store military equipment/fight, etc.

I think it would be extremely messy. The only hope would be a revolution of the people, but it seems unlikely, since they know little of the outside world, are indoctrinated all their life and live in constant fear of being sent to a camp. Better the devil you know?