My letter to an Atheist

Discussion in 'Religion Archives' started by Alan McDougall, Jun 17, 2010.

1. Alan McDougall Alan McDougall Registered Senior Member

I am learning man!! give me a chance to negotiate my way around the forum.

Show me where I have ranted!!, I have tried to be painfully polite but sadly it just does not work with a person like you.

I don't have the time to day and night to sit and argue with some one that simply wants to trade insults, like you appear to be doing

Last edited: Jun 19, 2010
  2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Dywyddyr Penguinaciously duckalicious. Valued Senior Member

Yet you find time to post yet another long diatribe in this thread instead of addressing the queries.

Indeed? Point out my "insults".

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. krazedkat IQ of "Highly Gifted"-"Genius" Registered Senior Member

"Let us consider, what life is, how could the unimaginable almost infinitely complex molecule DNA of life came into existence so quickly in relation to cosmological time. Life existed on the primordial earth just a moment after its creation, again in cosmological time?" - And how would a nonexistant being be able to do this? I say nonexistant because you stated that nothing can be created from nothing.

"The universe is unimaginable complex and sustains itself by exact precise fundamental constants, if this harmony differed in the infinitesimal fraction we would simply not exist; indeed the earth itself would not exist." - Yes, you are right, but that doesn't prove god, it just means it works. Think about it, if it didn't work we wouldn't be having this chat.

"A billion trillion googolplex monkeys typing for eternity would not produce even one of Shakespeare sonnets. Another analogy, if we took a billion airplanes, filled them with water, concrete and bricks and dumped the whole continuously on the earth for a billion years, would it magically and randomly form the beautiful Taj Mahal or the Sydney Opera house? But you insist I must accept the beautiful universe a of unimaginable precision came into existence this illogical way." - Since when did atheists believe in magic or any of that stuff?

"When life needs to evolve due to changing circumstances, does it tell itself to alter its own DNA for the new conditions or could there be a watch maker resetting the watch." - The environment itself alters the being.

"I see god adjusting the DNA overlooking his own experiment if you like." - I don't like.

"Our breathtaking beautiful is expanding and anything that expands must have a beginning. Can you prove there is no god of course you can’t, can I of course I can’t, but at least I can offer circumstantial evidence... Atheism is a faith belief system just like anything that requires belief without evidence." - Atheism is based on information gathered by scientists, not to mention it is the absence of religion.

"As an amateur astronomer leaves me with an unshakable belief that am awesome intellect created the universe and everything else." - A) Amateur B) Astronomer are not quite that great of credentials to claim you know how the universe came to be.

"Look out the sparking water that quenches your thirst, the fruit that feeds you, and invigorated your body. There is beauty everywhere and you must search for real ugliness. Go outside on a moonless night and reflect on the wonder of the cosmos that sparkles above you. The great snow capped mountains and streams, the blue sky and the rise of the sun at dawn and its golden glow as it sets." - Have never done that, most likely never will, I am a nerd.

"In the early morning go and listen to the sounds of nature, birds chirping like tiny electrons in the mind of god. The wind that you breathe the precious nourishment supplied by mother earth." - HAVE done that, love it, but A) I don't believe in mother nature and B) if you believe in God you can't believe in another diety (i.e. Mother Nature).

"Then explain to me how chance can bring this all about. To me there is a wonderful creative behind all this glory if only we would look at it." - How did chance bring about God?

"Like all things the universe has a beginning and this demands a creator, for nothing can exist with a prime cause. The universe will end but for that we will just have to wait." - What is the prime cause of God?

"Even atheism scientists say our universe is precise, ordered with beautiful mathematical constants. One great astronomer said the universe was less like a great well oiled machine and more like a beautiful ongoing thought." - If it wasn't so it wouldn't exist, that doesn't mean God magically comes into the picture.

"I believe in God, what you believe is your right but to me a godless creation is bleak and cold." - I think lots of this world IS bleak and cold, think about Africa and undeveloped countries' suffering. I do believe in God but don't come at the athiests attempting an attack with these weak points.

"What do you people believe, No god or God" - I believe in God, Evolution, NOT the bible, and science.

"Alan McDougall 24/6/2008" - No comment.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Crunchy Cat F-in' *meow* baby!!! Valued Senior Member

Try responding to my rebuttal before continuing as it clearly demonstrates you to be incorrect.

8. John99 Banned Banned

some things you know exist yet you cannot explain them or even know the slightest thing about them. You dont know how stars are made or why planets (rocks) just sit there in space and frankly i think it is better the less you understand because there is no sense in adding in your own information if it is not accurate.

9. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

We do know how stars are made in a general way, and we know about gravity.

10. Alan McDougall Alan McDougall Registered Senior Member

I never said that what I wrote was an accurate description of god, A finite entity like you and me can never understand exactly how, who, what, where this intelligence is, in any exactitude who drives and sustains the universe.

All I did was give my fallible idea of what I thought god could be, I never stated that this was god as an exactitude or reality

One thing I know about you and me is that we both don't have the foggiest idea of the Sublime, Inscrutable intelligence we call god.

What I wrote was from years of contemplating this agent of infinity the Eternal one giver of life and death

11. John99 Banned Banned

We know how stars are made?

12. Alan McDougall Alan McDougall Registered Senior Member

How are stars made dear astrophysicist?

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

13. wsionynw Master Queef Valued Senior Member

A purely faith based theory that explains everything actually explains NOTHING.

14. John99 Banned Banned

That is what i was asking. Admittedly i should never use question marks due to them being obsolete.

15. Dywyddyr Penguinaciously duckalicious. Valued Senior Member

On the contrary, neither are question marks obsolete nor should you have omitted it.
    You asked a question. Without the question mark your post would have been a statement.

16. Anti-Flag Pun intended Registered Senior Member

3 good reasons not to believe in god.

1. Next time you're naked and in the bathroom just take a look at yourself in the mirror. This is supposedly from the man who brought us rainbows, and sunsets, and mountaintops. What kind of an off day was he having when he created you?
    2. If we were created by such a divine being in all his wisdom, then why do we sometimes bite the insides of our own mouths?
    3. The appendix. Why on earth would god put it there, when all it does is occassionally burst and kill you?

17. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

It's called fusion. Matter condenses from gravity until the pressure is so great that a nuclear reaction occurs.

18. Kernl Sandrs Registered Senior Member

I have yet to receive answers.

19. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

Take it easy, we are all ganging up on the new guy. (You don't have to include the entire quoted text and pictures when quoting). He is using arguments that have already been answered by atheists repeatedly. I'm sure eventually he will rise to lightgigantic's level of obfuscation.

20. Emil Valued Senior Member

Thank you,but I do not want your world.
    I prefer a world without God and Satan,than a world with God and Satan.
    I prefer a world without heaven and hell, than a world with heaven and hell.(By the way, who created Satan?)
    In your world no honor.You respect the moral principles because you fear or you will be rewarded and not because of honor.
    Say that a man who has confessed,receive God's forgiveness.So,you can to do bad things,provided you confessed.Deeply immoral for me.(By the way for those who or confession,what point of that doomsday?)
    You claim: who does not believe in your god (most people in the world) deserves to go to hell.Deeply immoral for me.

21. phlogistician Banned Banned

So you might spend an infinite amount of time, attempting to breach that boundary?

If God had no beginning, there are two possibilities. God doesn't exist, or God is infinitely old. There is nothing else to consider.

On what logic do you base this assertion?

What is half of infinity? 1/100th? One millionth?

A minute ago you you mentioned a Universe without boundaries, now you are saying the Universe is finite. Which is it? You have contradicted yourself.

22. phlogistician Banned Banned

Jan, time is a simple measure of the separation of events. No time, no separation, no distinguishable action. Nothing can exist before events are indistinguishable.

Why don't you propose a logically sound mechanism via which that can take place, and we;ll discuss that?

23. Crunchy Cat F-in' *meow* baby!!! Valued Senior Member

Something has to exist before it can be described; however, your response does not address my rebuttal in the slighest.

I think you would have to show an intelligence exists first before delving into more specifics.

You did alot more than that. See my original rebuttal.

Well that's not correct either. 'God' is a psychological phenomena born of the human survival trait called anthropomorphism. It's not a real life form; however, it is part of effective strategy for fostering cooperative behavior and resource sharing.

As long as you can't see the underlying behavioral bias in your thought process, such contemplation is inevitably going to lead to incorrect understanding. Remember, you are an energy collection machine. Everything about you is geared towards collecting energy and persisting... not understanding truth. If you're interested in truth, you have to drastically reduce psychological/subjective influence to your thought process to examine things objectively.