My global warming theory ..... please comment

Discussion in 'Earth Science' started by iwuzfluff, Oct 17, 2007.

1. iwuzfluff Registered Member

ok i have no real proof but i decided to see what you guys thought about it
    maybe the earth is really based on gravity

1. ok lets start with the weight of the earth it's 5.972 sextillion or 5,972,000,000,000,000,000,000

2. then lets subtract the weight of oil we remove a year. which is like 12.8 gigatons

so now the earth has changed weight!

3. from here we add gravity. which is the constant between mass A.(the sun) and mass B. (the moon)

(not that i think gravity will change drasticly,) but the moon has been moving away from us 3.8cm a year. and knowing that the moon controls most of our weather patterns. it could also be the reason for "the pole changes" that expected in theory.

so there is no longer a constant.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. draqon Banned Banned

have you ever taken any physics?

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. iwuzfluff Registered Member

when i was high school but i never really paid attention

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. draqon Banned Banned

well than mass stays constant on Earth...that burned oil is converted into different molecules...but overall mass is the same. Its just redistribution of energy that is happening.

and weight is mass*gravity=mass*9.8 m/s^2

8. iwuzfluff Registered Member

ok so the earth will always weigh the same then, and the moons gravitational feild will not change because of distance?

9. draqon Banned Banned

well it changes...it accumulates a bit of iron from meteorites and other metals...but that is kind of insignificant

10. James R Just this guy, you know? Staff Member

iwuzfluff:

There are a few problems with your idea.

That weight all remains on Earth. None of it is lost to space. For example, when you burn petrol it is converted to water, carbon dioxide and a few other chemical compounds. None of them go off into space, so the weight of the Earth is unchanged.

The moon is moving away from us due to tidal interaction with the Earth, not due to any change in mass of the Earth.

And the moon has practically zero effect on weather.

11. spuriousmonkey Banned Banned

A lie.

These molecules do escape from earh's athmosphere albeit in such low quantities that it is negligible compared to the amount of mass sequestered back into sediments.

12. Baron Max Registered Senior Member

Hmm, if the Earth's mass remains the same, then why are all of the ancient civilizations buried below tons of dirt and debris? Where did all that dirt and debris come from that buried the old bones and ancient cities? Surely those bones and cities didn't sink into the ground over the years, did they?

Baron Max

13. Enmos Valued Senior Member

The earth gains weight through the millennia because of space debris raining down on the earth.

14. Read-Only Valued Senior Member

And that is something that continues to puzzle me - the sheer number of people that are unaware that TONS of cosmic dust falls on the Earth each and every year! While it's true that some molecules of gas at the upper fringes of the atmosphere are constantly lost into space, the amount of mass is negligible when compared to the debris/dust that settles on us.

Bottom line is that the Earth slowly gains mass all the time - and so few people seem to know it. Amazing, some people are!:shrug:

15. Enmos Valued Senior Member

Yeah, I thought it was common knowledge to be honest :shrug:

16. Read-Only Valued Senior Member

Yeah, me too. But after spending a few months here, it seems that less than one in ten is even aware of it. Strange.

17. Baron Max Registered Senior Member

Maybe that's what causes the Earth to slowly heat up ...there's more surface area for the sun to hit and warm. Plus the weight of the new dirt pressing down on the old dirt causes warming of the whole. And maybe I'm just full of shit and throwing things out for the fun of it.

Baron Max

18. Enmos Valued Senior Member

There is also more surface area to get cool again on the night-side, so I think that would balance it out. Also, the actually increase in diameter is extremely small and really of no significance considering surface warming.

19. Baron Max Registered Senior Member

Well, okay, that's your opinion, but do you have any scientific facts to back that up? See? Just saying things off the top of your head is one thing, but proving those thoughts is quite another.

For example, just a little bit of extra mass might increase the temperature just enough to cause global warming. Minute amounts over billions of years just might be more significant than is thought at first glance.

Baron Max

20. Enmos Valued Senior Member

I said 'I think', I have no facts about it and you don't either.
    Millions of years of 'space sand' amounts to at most a couple of hundred meters, thats not really significant. Furthermore, how can it explain the recent jump in temperature if it is a steady process over millions of years ?

21. Baron Max Registered Senior Member

Oh, no, calm down. I wasn't trying to start a fight or anything. I realize that we don't have the facts, but that's why I was asking.

Well, since you don't have facts, then how can you claim that it's not really significant? See what I mean? I realize that you're just making idle speculation, but without facts, that's all it is. And your idle speculation is no better than mine or anyone else's.

I don't know, but you don't either, do you? But just to speculate, as the temperature of the Earth rises, it's going to keep getting hotter and hotter faster ...in much the same way as heating up a piece of iron with a torch. At first, the temperature doesn't rise rapidly, but after a few minutes with the torch, that damned iron gets damned hot, damned quickly.

Baron Max

22. Enmos Valued Senior Member

It is speculation yeah. But the thing about the diameter increasing isn't. There are facts about that. But I have to go now, maybe I'll look into that later.

23. James R Just this guy, you know? Staff Member

A simplification.

You are correct, of course. Try to be more polite next time.

I think that the weather generally moves the dirt around. Dust gets blown in the wind, water moves soil quite rapidly. And so on.

I don't think it's an accumulation of "space dust".