My computer is having boot problems.

Discussion in 'Computer Science & Culture' started by lixluke, Dec 18, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lixluke Refined Reinvention Valued Senior Member

Weird. I'm using the exact same motherboard. I've had mine for over a year, and never had a problem.

OK I changed out the power supply. I now use a 535W Enermax.
    everything worked fine for awhile. I was using the same video card that I was using when the problem started.
    Today, I hit my knee on the desk, and the computer shut down.
    Now I'm getting the same problem again.

Last edited: Jan 13, 2006
  2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Mmmmm, in that case, unless your knee has developed some kind of weird, hitherto unheard of form of simpatico with your motherboard you've got a dodgy connection going on somewhere - this could be either the power lead or one of the sockets mounted on the motherboard.

The only way a physical jolt can cause a result like this is when an electrical connection is either worn, damaged or both.

If you're using an old power lead, replace it. If that doesn't resolve the problem you'll know it's the latter.

Frankly, unless your motherboard is still under warranty, that's going to be a pig to trace out. If it is warrantied, use it to get the thing serviced. Failing that, check each and every pin connection on the board the ATX is connected to. They should all be firmly mounted to the board, not loose in any way. I can't say as I'd recommend taking a soldering iron to anything on a motherboard, you're just going to have to run his by someone qualified.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. lixluke Refined Reinvention Valued Senior Member

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. lixluke Refined Reinvention Valued Senior Member

It worked!

8. Ah, so y'were just underpowering the thing after all. Congratulations old man, I was beging to worry you'd got something horrible and expensive going on.

Jolly well sorted.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

9. TurtleStuf Registered Member

I had the same problem. My computer booted up fine, everything seemed to work. Although, windows would not boot up. I had cleaned my computer with that Dust-Off stuff. I think I might have accidently fried my motherboard or possibly my video cards. Does anyone know if this can happen or what should I do?

10. leopold Valued Senior Member

what do you mean your computer booted up fine but windows didn't.
    did your computer boot to the c prompt?
    did you use a boot disk in the a drive?

usually when you have a boot problem the best course of action is to completly power down the computer then do a cold boot
    that usually solves the problem.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.