My computer is having boot problems.

Discussion in 'Computer Science & Culture' started by lixluke, Dec 18, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. leopold Valued Senior Member

okay did you ground yourself BEFORE you even opened the computer?

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. lixluke Refined Reinvention Valued Senior Member

Yes.
    Did you see my last post?

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. leopold Valued Senior Member

is this a new or use kb.
    you mentioned a beep. in normal operation when did the beep occure? (seconds from pushing on switch)
    check your video card. make sure it is fully seated (take it out,put it back in)
    last could be a bios/cmos problem

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. leopold Valued Senior Member

did you accidently short the wrong pins?

8. leopold Valued Senior Member

if the rag you used had static in it your motherboard is shot.

9. leopold Valued Senior Member

your machine must be off to plug in a keyboard
    why would you unplug the other devices?

edit
    i hate to mention the obvious but is your monitor connected to your video card? doh

Last edited: Dec 19, 2005
  10. Neildo Gone Registered Senior Member

Did you unplug your power connectors and forget to plug the 4-pin back in (I did that once, doh)? Did your battery get knocked out? Is the CPU chipped, broke, or fried? When installing, did you notice any static sparks? Is your RAM messed up? Did you recently overclock your system? Um, can't think of anything else at the moment.

- N

11. vslayer Registered Senior Member

is it an OS problem, or can you not get to the bios screen?(continually hit either DEL, F1, or F2 from startup and wait to see if it starts beeping every time you hit the key. if it starts beeping, then you have made it into the bios, and either your graphics card or monitor is fried/unplugged)

or

find a friend that runs the same flavour system(ie, same processor brand, and same graphics card brand) then swap your graphics card and CPU into their system one at a time. it it works with both of your parts in their system then the motherboard is your most likely suspect, and you can either swap all of your freinds components into your system and vice versa(takes a long time) to test it, or just throw it out and buy a new one.

12. loki_ghost Registered Senior Member

don't use the old ''video-card'' buy a new one and save the old one.

13. lixluke Refined Reinvention Valued Senior Member

when did the beep occure? (seconds from pushing on switch)
    did you accidently short the wrong pins?
    check your video card. make sure it is fully seated
    if the rag you used had static in it your motherboard is shot.
    The beep occurs a few seconds after I turn it on.

Video card is intact, I took it out and seated it correctly. Monitor is connected correctly.

I'm not sure if I shorted the pins. I shut down the computer, and moved the jumper over. I was supposed to wait a few seconds, and put them back. But I forgot. So I powered the computer up without putting the jumper back.
    Would this short the pins?

I used a washable paper towel to wipe the grease.

your machine must be off to plug in a keyboard
    why would you unplug the other devices?
    That's what he said on his list. Unplug the external devices. Throw away the keyboard, and plug in a new one.

Did you unplug your power connectors and forget to plug the 4-pin back in (I did that once, doh)? Did your battery get knocked out? Is the CPU chipped, broke, or fried? When installing, did you notice any static sparks? Is your RAM messed up? Did you recently overclock your system? Um, can't think of anything else at the moment.
    I've never done any over clocking.
    The RAM has given me no problems so I have never messed with it.
    The computer is getting power and running like normal, but it's just not showing anything on the display. CPU is in perfect condition, no sparks.

is it an OS problem, or can you not get to the bios screen?
    I cannot get into the bios. I've tried starting it up, and hitting the buttons to see if I hear a beep.

14. spuriousmonkey Banned Banned

Is your screen broken?

15. lixluke Refined Reinvention Valued Senior Member

No.
    It turned out to be the video card. I tried out my other video card in it, and it worked.
    What I don't understand is this:
    If it was a problem with the video, how come the computer didn't boot? I know it didn't boot because Windows would have made a sound when it started up. Also, There would have been a beep as it booted up.

16. leopold Valued Senior Member

that is one of the first things to check when a computer doesn't boot.
    RAM is the same way. if ram chip is loose your machine won't boot

17. lixluke Refined Reinvention Valued Senior Member

I just had a thought.
    Maybe my video card isn't bad.
    Is it possible that if the power supply is low, a high end video card would not work preventing the conmputer from booting like mine.
    But when I put in a lower end video card, the power was sufficient.
    In this case, there is nothing wrong with the original video card or anything. The power supply must be replaced with a more powerful one.
    Could this be a possibiliy?

18. leopold Valued Senior Member

yes, if the power requirements of the power supply is being exceeded you will experience blue screens and various other lock ups.
    they would also be intermittent.

19. river-wind Valued Senior Member

does the higher-end video card have a sperate power plug on it? What type of vid card is it?

What os the wattage rating of your Power Supply?

20. exelax Registered Member

I have the exact same problem as cool skill. I got a new heatsink for Christmas (Thermaltake XP-90, not the copper one). So after applying some Arctic Silver 5 to it, I slapped it on and closed up my case. When I tried to turn on my computer, everything works, except there is no signal from the monitor.

I initially thought that the cause might be my video card (nVidia 6600 GT AGP), but I tested it out on my other computer and it worked fine. I haven't tried putting in a lower end video card but I'll get on that.

I hope my motherboard (ASUS P4P800SE) isn't fried. The power LED on it lights up as usual. The only unusual thing that goes on is both of the front LEDs (the green power LED and the red CPU LED) stay lit while it's powered on. While this isn't unusual for the green one, I believe it is for the red.

Thanks in advance for your help.

21. vslayer Registered Senior Member

did your new fan came with an IDE power adapter for it? if it did then i suggest you try using that, as power demand in aftermarket fans can cause quite a drain on the motherboard.

22. exelax Registered Member

The fan has just a regular 3-pin power adapter thing and didn't come with anything extra. But I'll try what you're saying. BTW I tried plugging in a lower end video card and that did not solve the problem.

23. If you read through your motherboards specs you'll probably find its rigged with a Fault Protection trip - anything[ the board doesn't like halts the boot process immediately during POST - Some boards further this with an onboard display of four LED's, depending on which sequence of lights are lit you can use the halt point as a diagnostic pin pointing the specific problem. Basically though you're Video Card sounds like it was just drawing more juice than the board is designed to deliver and the FP trip shut everything down before it could risk damaging either the processor or the returns on the ATX.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.