My cat

Discussion in 'About the Members' started by Absane, Mar 28, 2011.

1. Captain Kremmen All aboard, me Hearties! Valued Senior Member

True I suppose.
    They will all chase cats though, won't they?

2. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

Honestly I did not do much. I've discovered that with topical injuries the best you can do is avoid infections by keeping the wound clean and keep kitty warm, safe and dry. She actually started improving only after she found both pups and so rapidly that within two days she looked much better. She's skittish although - like other cats in the locality - she knows that we will help her.

Someone wrote earlier about wrapping the cat in a towel, but I've discovered that most cats can sense when you want to help them and will let you without too much damage. The worst/best example of this was an albino I knew ages ago, who had injured and infected his entire right arm and had maggots along the length of it. I used to get tears in my eyes at his bravery, because I would smother his arm in chloroform soaked cotton [anyone want to experiment on how painful chloroform is on open infected wounds will find out what that means] and he would just sit there, with his saliva running rapidly from his mouth as he held himself stiff against the pain. He sat in a little plastic basin for one whole week while I smothered and picked out the maggots from his wounds and treated them. He recovered completely and lived in our neighborhood for many more years before he was driven away by a tom.

4. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. cosmictraveler Be kind to yourself always. Valued Senior Member

While that is true in most cases they can be taught not to do that sort of behavior. It's up to the owners to teach their dogs to stop them from chasing other animals for the sake of the dog as well as the cat. Owners of dogs are at a high degree of responsibility of training their dogs to keep them from chasing cats or prevent them from doing so. Dogs that you see chasing cats can be killed by the owners of the cats if they are on the cats property. So while it is the nature of dogs to chase cats they can be prevented in many ways from doing so and should be if the owners are truly responsible people.

6. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Captain Kremmen All aboard, me Hearties! Valued Senior Member

Hurrah for Sam!

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

Hi. I'm Mother Samesa of Mumbai

Let's have some pics when the cats are well enough.

Last edited: Apr 16, 2011
  8. wynn ˙ Valued Senior Member

We use a iodine preparation, the kind they use for surgeries. It doesn't burn and seems to do a good job.

9. chimpkin C'mon, get happy! Registered Senior Member

I would like to teach this dog not to chase cats, but I can't trust him after this. Not alone with a cat.

He's not a terribly bright dog...and when I say insane...I mean "terrifically hyper active."
    The dog just does not wear out. He can run 20 mph also.
    The reason he got loose? he wore through a tie-out cable when I was at work. He wears through cables, collars, and rings.
    I went and bought some really good hardware for the tie-out-I think he will be staying put.
    For a while, anyway.
    I plan on building him a long, narrow pen, but it will cost me about $150...and I just got to the point where I could afford that financially...now to get the physical energy necessary...(sinusitis fatigue is kicking me around.)
    I think I am going to buy the dog a muzzle, which he will wear when I'm not home, as a backup, in case he does get loose.
    I'll have to buy one of the good ones-he'll get out of anything less through sheer persistence.
    I may also try getting an electronic training collar...show him cat, he goes berserk, he gets zapped and scolded.
    Show him cat, he's calm, he gets cheese.
    He'll do almost anything for cheese.
    We have one cat who's not afraid of dogs and would probably cooperate with this.

Not only do we have(now) seven cats, the neighbors three houses down have ten, and this guy at the end of the block has 12.

People come out here from the city and dump animals, you see.

This is ALSO how I ended up with the dog...someone dumped this little puppy in the middle of a 98-degree heatwave, and I wasn't going to let him die of heatstroke while hiding under my car...

Although I'm probably unique in that two of the current cats were rescued from freeway bridges-the one 200-some-odd feet up and in the median.
    She was very depressed at first, but now beats everybody else up just as she should.

Since SAM has cats that show up on her doorstep? she must also have the invisible "sucker" sign my vet tells me I need to get rid of.

Last edited: Apr 17, 2011
  10. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

I've gone through many medicines and I like the herbal spray the best - [its called Topicure and its an ayurvedic preparation made by Natural Remedies specifically for veterinary use]. Open seeping and infected wounds dry out and get healed in a matter of a couple of days or less. I use Betadine [Povidone-Iodine] or Negasunt [Coumaphos, Propoxur and Sulfanilamide] dusting powders if I cannot use the spray.

Many cats are dumped on our doorsteps by kids and watchmen in the vicinity and yes, many of them follow the "smells" which say "cat people live here". All our pets are rescues who would not make it in the real world. We usually release the ones who recover and are alpha - some of them hang around a bit and then take off.

Pics:

This is the cat - as you can see, her face and eyes are healed. She's a little skinny and not eating too well, but she will be okay

These are the kittens. The one that is looking up is active but malnourished as most of these outside kittys are - they also don't wean as well as home grown kitties. The other one has eye infections and is also malnourished. He may not survive, being pretty sickly

11. Enmos Valued Senior Member

Why would he tell you that??

12. Enmos Valued Senior Member

13. wynn ˙ Valued Senior Member

I don't know of such herbal sprays being available here. I'll have to ask.
    Grapefruit extract has good disinfectant properties as well, but it burns.

I don't understand why cats are so averse to sage tea. Camomile or mint is bearable, but sage seems to be out of the question. I poured some into my eyes once, just to see whether it really burns so badly (since tasting it didn't seem to be anything too special, although tasting a bit gross still), but it didn't burn at all.
    Namely, our cats have teeth and gum problems, so after attempts at brushing their teeth have failed, I tried to at least rinse their mouths, to ease the gum inflammation.
    (Rinsing with sage tea twice a day, for three days straight almost completely reduces the inflammation - but administering sage tea is an ordeal ...)

Mild camomile tea can be used to rinse eyes (they will tear for a while afterwards, though).

I have seen similar on one of our cats after he came home from a walk on the town.
    I suspect it could be from hot water.
    He had no hair on half of his face, but it grew back within a couple of weeks or so.

I hope your new cats get well soon!

14. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

No it was not a burn. The skin had got scraped off - there is a mall construction next door and I have a feeling her kittens had gone behind some steel sheets and she could not get in there - the eyes were also damaged - this is after one week of healing so the skin has grown back. I thought she would lose this eye, it was so damaged, but yeah, I am very glad she is okay. I should've taken pics but I'm superstitious like that, I don't like to jinx my patients.

Yes of course, cats are very territorial. We resolved this issue years ago by training indoor cats to specific "places" which they can call their own.

We keep "outdoor" cats in the balcony, where they will not meet the indoor cats

But most of our cats are used to visitors

Here is Bagga with the same stray cat when she was younger.

All our cats are thin, except Chinky [who sits astride my bolster] who is a lazy butt and only goes out to relieve herself. But this stray cat is sickly and I can feel her ribs which is a sign that she is not eating well. Plus you can tell she's not very happy

15. Enmos Valued Senior Member

They definitely have a different built than their European cousins.
    Contrast with this:

Klaas looking a bit devilish

16. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

You take such gorgeous pictures

/sigh

Yeah, your cats have a lot more hair - is he heavy and muscled or light [like a Persian]?

Our cats are solid hard muscle. You could probably knock someone out if you swung them

But not all of them have the same build

Bagga and Beauty are both medium sized and hard packed muscle with very soft hair

Sonali is a small cat about two thirds of the size of the others and more fluffy, less muscular

They are enjoying the outdoors and sunshine.

17. Enmos Valued Senior Member

Thanks. That particular picture is a bit overexposes though, at least the white bits of his coat.

18. Captain Kremmen All aboard, me Hearties! Valued Senior Member

Spud will probably notice this and post a picture of his cat.
    Now that is one strange cat.

19. Cowboy My Aim Is True Valued Senior Member

Since this is the "About The Members" section, you should probably tell us what your cat's SciForums user name is.

20. chimpkin C'mon, get happy! Registered Senior Member

She, and I don't know...considering she just had a very nice, new clinic building constructed...of which I joked one room ought to have my name on it...

Sonali looks like our Dangercat-he's the first one I rescued off of a freeway bridge. I was only able to grab him b/c he was sick from heat and dehydration-he was a feral kitten, and was living on bugs.

Now, not so much.

He like-a da kibble.

21. Giambattista sssssssssssssssssssssssss sssss Valued Senior Member

Hooray for cats!

But honestly, SAM, if the above pictures are an example, can't you read something other than English language newspapers? Like, something with indecipherable gobbledygook that confounds Westerners such as myself?

I like the snippet I can read though.

I suspect they had something to do with the cat's injury. I'd like to think that, anyhow.

Keep up the good work. I almost wish cats would pay a visit around here once in a while, but we only have neighborhood housecats. They're stuck up and xenophobic.

22. Enmos Valued Senior Member

She. Apologies for my sexism

To me it seems like a very strange thing to say for a vet.
    The clinic benefits, the animals benefit, you do your bit. What's the problem?

23. Captain Kremmen All aboard, me Hearties! Valued Senior Member

Lovely photo, Enmos.
    Inspired by your photos, I bought a digital camera last year. Cost about £80.
    It is much easier to take a good photo with a digital camera, especially in good sunlight, than the old film cameras.

One problem I have found is that there are few graduations in blacks and whites.
    White quickly becomes pure white, and black pure black.
    I look forward to the next step, where they overcome this.

Meanwhile, I have taken better photographs than I ever did with expensive SLR cameras. You do get a lovely range of warm colour, mood and texture, which was hard to get on film without spending huge bucks.