"Mutt Like Me..."

Discussion in 'Politics' started by superstring01, Nov 8, 2008.

1. ElectricFetus Sanity going, going, gone Valued Senior Member

Hey why not wish for slavery to end in the USA, or equal legal rights for all people including women, or oooh I got it for a man to walk on the moon! All ideal dreams that well never happen eh?

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Baron Max Registered Senior Member

None of that happened with just wishes and dreams. In fact, there were millions of Americans who died in the Civil War to solve the slavery issue, and it's not completely solved yet!

All those "ideal dreams" almost always come from the muzzle of gun that's carried by many who don't even believe in the ideal! The Civil War is a good example ...without the power of the gun, the south would still have slave ownership.

Power of dreams? Nope, power of the gun or threats of such power.

Baron Max

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Baron Max Registered Senior Member

No, String, I didn't actually miss your point. I just wanted to be sure that you and others realized that all is not always rosy and cheerful and peaceful and harmonious.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

Geez, String, it's already here! Have you not heard of some of the small, violent, Muslim extremist groups that have almost the entire USA population qivering in their boots in fear and ready to pull out of Iraq and Afghanistan?

And, yes, I do see your point. But then, what about the KKK and the neo-Nazis? And the pro-abortion small groups? Or the pro-life groups? Or the death penalty reformers? Gay rights advocates? ... Geez, there's about a gazillion of those "smaller groups" who are vying for power. With all of them wanting power, do you suppose that civil war in the making in the USA?

Now for the more serious part of my post; It's my personal opinion that we already have far, far too many "small groups", which I take to mean "special interest groups". Those very groups have caused the USA to be more divided than ever before in history, including during the Civil War.

Hey, here's something interesting. If one small group, out of all those gazillion small groups, becomes more powerful, what are the others going to do? ..fight for power of their own? ...try to steal the power for themselves? ...have scheduled fights in arenas to see who's the most powerful? ...have gunfights on the streets near the OK Corral?

Baron Max

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Mr. Hamtastic whackawhackado! Registered Senior Member

My foundations are rocked. String-are you a girl or homosexual? or both?

Racism? Nothing has helped smooth racism like Dave Chapelle. I wish he had run for something.

8. Mr. Hamtastic whackawhackado! Registered Senior Member

Sorry, Max. As a southerner proud of the confederacy, I gotta say that slavery was on the way out. New Agricultural technologies, like the cotton gin, were beginning to make the overhead of maintaining slaves economically unsound.

9. superstring01 Moderator

Negative. I said "the fate of humanity". We're not there yet, but the technology almost is here.

Oh. I know that. And I also, grudgingly, accept your point that peace usually comes at the point of a spear.

No. I don't think so.

~String

10. ElectricFetus Sanity going, going, gone Valued Senior Member

I never said anything about no action being taken, neither for perfection.

I don't have a problem with guns, but I don't see how effective guns were for civil rights, women vote, etc. Guns were used when they were available, like the revolutionary war, but women certainly did not win the right to vote by threatening men at gun point!

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 9, 2008
  11. Baron Max Registered Senior Member

I think you're forgetting the power of the THREAT of guns. Civil rights? Don't you remember the National Guard troops being used in Alabama and Arkansas?

Again you're forgetting the THREAT of the gun. In the case of womens' voting rights, it was decided to give up rather than to face the THREAT of armed civil war over the issue.

Baron Max

12. Baron Max Registered Senior Member

You seem to think that slaves were only used in the cotton fields! There were slaves doing all kinds of domestic chores as well as chores around the farms and plantations.

Cotton gin? Who would have operated that cotton gin? Slaves, right? Who would have cleaned the cotton gin? Slaves, right?

I grew up on a farm, and we could have definitely used slaves if we'd had them! As it was, we had to do all the shitty jobs ourselves!!

Baron Max

13. ElectricFetus Sanity going, going, gone Valued Senior Member

The threat of guns sure didn't stop them niggers did it? Tell me who had more guns, the whites or the blacks? Blacks did not win by shaking their guns (the ones that managed to get their hands on some that is). I read the NRA bible too, but I read it as a work of comedy.

Civil war over the women's right to vote? what are you smoking?!? I WANT SOME! Tell me have all revolutions and social policy happened because of guns?

14. Baron Max Registered Senior Member

No, it didn't. But then the guns were intended to stop the racist whites, not the niggers, ....and it worked quite well and exactly as intended.

No, the blacks didn't "shake their guns", the liberal, progressive whites "shook" their guns at the racist whites and FORCED integration onto people who didn't want it.

Revolutions, yes. Or the threat of guns, yes. I don't know any major revolutions that have occurred without the threat or the use of guns in some way.

As to "social policy" ...what's that cover? Ya' mean something like a rule that spitting on the sidewalk is not nice?

Baron Max

15. Roman Banned Banned

Millions, huh.
    Try 700,000. Maybe a million through disease, displacement and starvation. But definitely not millions.

16. ElectricFetus Sanity going, going, gone Valued Senior Member

Here the problem: I notice that revolutions involve people peeing, because you know people pee, there for peeing is central to all revolutions in some way! This is your logic and it misses the important parameter of stating how valuable X (guns,peeing, etc) is to event group A happening alone. Guns were even around in gandhi revolution but they were not the most important factor by far to winning that revolution. Same to saying that a pro-civil rights whites with their guns somehow were the most important factor towards making civil rights happen is completely ignoring far more important factors that were in fact what drove those events.