Multiple Universes..

Discussion in 'Astronomy, Exobiology, & Cosmology' started by SeeKer, Jun 11, 1999.

1. rouge236 Registered Member

I don't know if you have read the work of David Deutsch, but he has done some interesting work on the theory of multiple universes. including documenting an experiment with light which provides evidence of multiple universes. In the experiment you have two walls with a space between them, and a slit in one of the walls. when you shine a light through the slit you see a single bar of light on the far wall. If you have two slits side by side, you will see six bars of light due to photons interfering with each other. When you use a device that emits one proton at a time through the two slits and a sensor that records where on the back wall each photon hits, (this experiment has been performed.) you end up with a pattern of six bars even though there are no other photons to interact with. They concluded that in multiple prallel universes, the same experiment is occuring but the photons are going in slightly different directions, and the photons are interacting across the different universes.
    If anyone has heard of this experiment please give me your thoughts on this topic.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. cyborgrrl Registered Member

yeah, i've heard of it. i'm reading "minds, machines & the multiverse" right now. have you watched any of deutsch's video lectures online? the man has some pretty . . . eccentric . . . ideas, but amazingly, he is able to explain quantum physics with remarkable clarity. watch him talk at: http://www.quiprocone.org/Protected/Deutsch_videolectures.htm
    There's also a fantastic interview with him at:
    http://www.edge.org/3rd_culture/deutsch/deutsch_index.html
    sorry if any of this has been covered already - i just joined the forum and didn't read back very far.

i think the whole concept of a photon acting like a wave, and not being localized as a particle until it is MEASURED is really fascinating. whether you're talking about science, nature, or documentary film, it's shown over and over again that the act of observing something changes it. what does that say about everything we've observed and then concluded about reality?

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. cyborgrrl Registered Member

sorry - i just realized that you might have been talking about a different experiment. i was referring to the one where a single photon is sent toward two parallel slits and a single photodetector is located behind first one slit, and then the other. no matter which slit the photodetector is put behind, it always detects the single photon - the photon goes through both slits as a wave until it is measured by the photodetector. the act of measurement localizes the particle aspect of the photon - sort of causing it to materialize behind whichever slit the measurement is made. what do you think about that - about measuring something that isn't measurable until its measurED?

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. rouge236 Registered Member

hat is very interesting. I would like to find more information on this experiment, where could I find it? Unfortunately not many people have discussed much about the nature of photons or the work of David Deutsch. I recently read his book The Fabric of Reality: The Science of Parallel Universes and its implications. Also I finished a fiction book by Michael Crichton, called Timeline which deals with multiple universes, and explains the evidence using photons. Incidentally he got the idea from Deutsch. Thanks for the links.

8. cyborgrrl Registered Member

no problem! i haven't read 'fabric of reality' yet - did you like it?

i read about the experiment in an article from electronic engineering times. the heading was "photons eyed for quantum computer design". yhe date was 1.22.01, issue 1150, p71 and the author was r. colin johnson.

you might be able to find the article online: www.eet.com

9. rouge236 Registered Member

Actually 'Fabric of Reality' was pretty good. It made some interesting points, but I don't want to give anything away if you plan on buying it. It definetaly gave me alot to think about. Though I do find it interesting that a photon can behave as a wave in one case, and a particle in another. And it is also neat that they can use them to provide evidence of multiple universes.

10. ambasador grey Registered Member

multiple universes

yes it possible it is just we cannot understand it on human intelligence form for its just like telling up that thier is a down
    the only reason we cannot adjust to other universes is because we cannot adjust to them all at the same time
    i did how ever find a way to issolate myself in a pitch black room
    and travel through time through a worm hole that was bottled in dark matter to any space time i would choose to the volume of the radio
    for example
    i would switch on a blue green light
    i would watch the acid battery heat the crystal
    the crystal would levitate inside the glass jug
    as the crystal levitated it released a blue plasma from the cable
    into a bottle and outside the room and all over
    as soon as all the bottles would fill the house levitated through
    a worm hole via a radio signal that would be broadcasted on a radio when adjusted would levitate the house up and down and through space time to any where or any place in time
    i had a view like i was in the bottle and could not go outside of it
    and on earth my body stayed while my mind went into this artificial transporter
    i could be on any demension at any time
    so i had a little trouble adjusting to time because i was time shifting so fast through all space and time i did'nt even know where i was it took a little getting used to but i figured it out
    the only reason we cannot figure out why we have been in contact before is because don't have tools or resources to follow up on such supernatural or paranormal experiences
    thier is no measurment to measure a demension you just have to know when you past another threshold

11. Tristan Leave your World Behind Valued Senior Member

Check out This months issue of Scientific American. The cover story is about the Multiverse. There is like 10 pages to the article... so far its really good.

Later
    T

12. revbill2001 Registered Senior Member

shifts

The multiple universe theory is fact, in my opinion. There have been many times in my life when a fact that I know to be true, suddenly has never been. Words disappear from the dictionary, and sometimes reappear later, due no doubt to a shift from one universe to an alternate one. History changes and no one notices it. Items that I have never heard of are well known to everyone else. Paranoia is a facinating thing, and if they weren't out to get me I would stick around and tell you about it.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

13. ambasador grey Registered Member

multiple universes

possible that they re are parrellel universes and parellel yous
    so if you ever thought of something and not did it somewhere the parrellel you did and takes on another direction possible that anything you ever have thought of was already done in another parrellel universe

14. Gifted World Wanderer Registered Senior Member

15. ambasador grey Registered Member

mutiple universes

anything is possible you just have to be in the right state of mind to accomplish it

16. river-wind Valued Senior Member

boris- you are bugged by the idea of trillions apon trillions of universes spontainiously being created every instant. But what if you removed the idea of new universe creation, and instead made these changes om exsisting universes?

Instead of all the optional universes being created every instant, there already exsist, it just that as time goes on, the differences become apparent?

For a this-world thought example, take three sealed (even from light & heat) glasses of water, all identical down to the location, direction, and speed of each sub-atomic particle (this is in thought, remember, so that is possible to do) Now wait for a while. No new glasses of water are created, but differences appear in the locations of molecules, the speed of the molecules, etc. Now if you had enough glasses to account for all possible differences, and the said "go!", you could end up with every possible outcome, but nothing is created during the time frame of the experiment. Some would spontaniously freeze solid, others would boil, but more than 99.99999999% of them would exist in a range somewhere in between. Things just happening differently due to quantum uncertainty.

You could have multiverses in the same way-nothing new is created as changes take place, the othe runiverses are already there, they just are different.

17. I Like Pencils I'll send you to Heaven. Registered Senior Member

The theory that in different dimensions that there are different yous, who make different decisions, is impossible because the laws of physics won’t allow it. If the person in that dimension is actually you, and arrived at being you through the same Big Bang as you arrived at being you, then every single action he made would be exactly the same action as you made.

The fact is that we have no freedom of choice, despite what anyone may think. Everything we do was predetermined because all your choices were a direct influence of something else, and that influence came into being because of another influence, you know? You could trase this whole influence thing back to, um, say, the pillar of physical logic.

18. Nialfire Registered Member

I find it somewhat comical yet disturbing at the same time, that men could let their imaginations run so wild with fertility, embracing baseless nonsense with such veracity all the while indulging in a self induced coma of blindness to the true reality in which we exsist...

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

R.A.ONeal

Romans 1:18-22 For the wrath of God is revealed from heaven against all ungodliness and unrighteousness of men, who hold the truth in unrighteousness; Because that which may be known of God is manifest in them; for God hath shewed [it] unto them. For the invisible things of him from the creation of the world are clearly seen, being understood by the things that are made, [even] his eternal power and Godhead; so that they are without excuse: Because that, when they knew God, they glorified [him] not as God, neither were thankful; but became vain in their imaginations, and their foolish heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools,

19. Dywyddyr Penguinaciously duckalicious. Valued Senior Member

Re-opening a thread that was last posted to EIGHT YEARS ago seems somewhat foolish. As does quoting the bible in a science sub-forum.

20. Nialfire Registered Member

You see, that's the beauty of it. The message never dies, and the Bible is the ONLY science book that's NEVER been found to contain errors..

Job 26:7 He stretcheth out the north over the empty place, [and] hangeth the earth upon nothing.

John 14:2 In my Father's house are many mansions: if [it were] not [so], I would have told you. I go to prepare a place for you.

Last edited: Jul 3, 2011
  21. Dywyddyr Penguinaciously duckalicious. Valued Senior Member

Supposition.

I have bad news for you.
    1) The bible is neither a science book nor scientific.
    2) The bible contains numerous errors.

22. Nialfire Registered Member

The scriptures, told us we were formed from the building blocks of dirt, thay fortold of the law of thermodynamics I.e. that Gods power is eternal. They described the strecheing out of heavens,,,, so on and so on... Not one of which can be proven wrong...

Your "accusations" without context.

Psalms 19:1 The heavens declare the glory of God; and the firmament sheweth his handywork. Day unto day uttereth speech, and night unto night sheweth knowledge. [There is] no speech nor language, [where] their voice is not heard. Their line is gone out through all the earth, and their words to the end of the world. In them hath he set a tabernacle for the sun,

Jeremiah 30:23-24 Behold, the whirlwind of the LORD goeth forth with fury, a continuing whirlwind: it shall fall with pain upon the head of the wicked. The fierce anger of the LORD shall not return, until he have done [it], and until he have performed the intents of his heart: in the latter days ye shall consider it.

And as stated being the latter days, We now have a better understanding of this whirlwind. Yet his whirlwind resembles a tightly wound burning spiral galaxy but on a cosmic scale rather then the galactic scale we currently see..

We now know stars truly sing... Something not understood 3000 years ago

23. Dywyddyr Penguinaciously duckalicious. Valued Senior Member

So?
    It makes a claim. Making claims is not science.

I think you're confused. The laws of thermodynamics say nothing whatsoever about god.

Again, merely a claim.

Apart from the above, how about a fixed Earth (geocentric solar system)? How about "bats are birds"? How about insects have four legs? How about pi being 3? Or the Earth being formed before the Sun?
    And so on and so on...

False.
    Your claim has no basis in fact.

To cover your edit:

No they don't. So apparently it's not truly understood today, either. At least by some...