MSN question about completely deleting contacts

Discussion in 'Computer Science & Culture' started by water, May 23, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. water the sea Registered Senior Member

Is it possible to completely delete a contact from one's MSN?

Namely, if I delete a contact from my list of contacts in the MSN main window, I have found that in the menu under
    Tools > Options > Privacy
    those contacts are still there, and cannot be deleted.

Thanks for your input.

Last edited: May 23, 2006
  2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Winner of Discontent i am a banana Registered Senior Member

i was going to try to help, but i looked in my privacy options and people i haven't spoken to in years and that i deleted years ago are still there. i am stumped myself. the only thing i came up with is those that you delete that are still in the allow box maybe haven't deleted you. when you delete a blocked person, they remain blocked and cannot see you. when you just delete, they can still see you online. of course this is probably the kind of information you already had. sorry that i can't be more helpful. *wanders off to google it*

http://messenger.msn.com/Help/#LQ18

though it doesn't address the exact issue, i believe my premonition is right that you are still on theirs since it mentions how you can monitor who will know you're online.

Last edited: May 24, 2006
  4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. perplexity Banned Banned

The contacts are not kept client side.

They're downloaded from a list on the MSN server so the same effect results whatever client program happens to be used to communicate.

The actual MSN protocols are detailed on this page:

http://www.hypothetic.org/docs/msn/notification/example_session.php

It may be irritating to see a handle remain as a blocked user but because of this you are in effect more removed from the object of disaffection. A mutually deleted entry would still be able to seek to contact.

--- RH.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. water the sea Registered Senior Member

Thank you for your input.

I have just tried out something -- In the Tools > Options > Privacy list of contacts, on the left side list with contacts allowed to see me online (all of them are not visible in my main window though),
    I placed some of those on the list of blocked contacts. And from there, some contacts could be deleted completely!

Hm. It appears if both parties set each other on the blocked list, then such a contact is deletable.

8. perplexity Banned Banned

This does in effect appear to be the case; the MSN server list is in effect a combined list of handles, those you wish to contact or block and those who wish to contact or block you.

With a complete deletion though the trouble would then be that the person deleted is completely deleted, i.e. free to initiate another MSN contact procedure from scratch, even with the same e-mail handle previously employed.

---

9. Jenyar Solar flair Valued Senior Member

You could just have asked.

10. water the sea Registered Senior Member

Ask what?

It appears it was you who put me on the blocked list first.

11. Jenyar Solar flair Valued Senior Member

No, you weren't able to remove me until I blocked you. I only did that after Perplexity told me about this thread of yours.

12. water the sea Registered Senior Member

You've got your time logic screwed up.

Until I posted this thread and the subsequent findings, I did not know whether it was possible to delete contacts or what it takes to delete them.
    This is why I posted this thread -- to find out what it takes to delete a contact.

I could not have asked you anything in this regard, because I did not have the information necessary to ask the pertinent question.

13. §outh§tar is feeling caustic Registered Senior Member

14. icantthinkofaname Registered Member

Hey

I came accross this while trying to find an answer to why I could delete some contacts but not others and I think I may have found an answer.

Below (where it says "Contact Lists") you can view a list of who has added you to their contact lists. I found these same people I couldn't delete. So it appears you can delete the people you add, but not the people who add you.

I've double-checked and all the people who were on the list of people who added me, I couldn't delete and the people who weren't on this list (thus people I added) I could.

Hope that helps

Last edited: Jan 19, 2010
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.