Most pivotal battle of WWII?

Discussion in 'History' started by Undecided, Jun 6, 2004.

1. ashpwner Registered Senior Member

oh and what d u mean they would have scuteld there ships?

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. ashpwner Registered Senior Member

i would stil have to say battle of britian i mean come on when we won that battle it showed the rest of the world that the axis were not undefeatable this also trigured america joining the war otherwise i dont think they would have botherd oh well you stole al the credit anyway even tho we fought for 6 years and if britian had fell the troops on the eastearn fronts would have been pulled out same as the african ones.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Buffalo Roam Registered Senior Member

ashpwner

The would have sunk their own ships, the English would never have allowed their ships to fall into Nazi hands

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. ashpwner Registered Senior Member

oh ok were a bit of a proud nation then to do that lol

8. ashpwner Registered Senior Member

what do u think was the most inportant event on ww2

9. Genji Registered Senior Member

Stalingrad was the most important WW2 battle in the Euro theater.

10. nietzschefan Thread Killer Valued Senior Member

Stalingrad was just stupid - it didn't NEED to happen.

El Alamein needed to happen and was the most important.

Cairo would have been MORE important, but Rommel didn't get that far. After the suez - all gravy and oil.

11. ashpwner Registered Senior Member

rusia was important i just think if britian fell it would have ended there than again the canadian and all other nations would carry on the fight i hope but i dout america would have joined but the british fleet would be under canadian control so maybe victory was posible after we fell we will never no posible but shit loads harder

12. nietzschefan Thread Killer Valued Senior Member

Well in classic Sun Tzu theory, WWII was decided before it started. Hitler had planned to attack Russia even before he invaded Poland. It was a "faulty" strategy. He miscalculated Churchill's growing support, Commonwealth strength/resolve and gear-up ability. He should have known from WWI the capabilites of Britian/Canada/ANZACS to fight him. He should have realized that factor would not let him hit Russia with everything. He just plain thought the brits would give up after the fall of France, a gross miscalculation shared by many staff officers(yes men).

So if you want to go into details of what is the most important battle for the overall outcome of WWII then it must be a strategic argument with the likes of Hitler VS Rundstat, Rundstat VS Guderian, von Leeb VS Hitler VS Jodl or some such thing in the early planning stages.

I know a polish vet whom spent time in POW camps, he said most German soldiers would sum it up like this:

"Too many enemies, not enough friends."

But of actual battles that happened and the STRATEGIC importance - El Alamein El Alamein El Alamein.

Rommel + Oil = Victory.

Taking oil from U.K and giving to germany = major strategy.

Iraq and other arabs would have joined axis at even the hint of autonomy(this was a problem for Hitler to promise though). Turkey might have thrown in against Russia, for a slice of caucuses oil. Don't forget Hitler was a master politiker previous to being warmonger.

Also seizing Suez would have had a big time plus effect for taking control or at least naval superiority of the Med. Certainly in the East Med. Would also make more choke points for U-boat crews to harvest. I could go on and on and on.

Stalingrad was an ego battle of Hitler and Stalin. Ask any vet - it was just stupid. Of little importance to Russia and of NO importance to Germany. Russia just played it smarter and decided if Germans want to trade man for man, tank for tank, then "sure why not" Russia always had more.

13. ashpwner Registered Senior Member

thank you that was very informative sorry i was thinkin that film you know enemy at the gates was a litle more historicaly corect lol and i also thought that taking rusia would have gained them oil to the east

14. ashpwner Registered Senior Member

i got a qeustion what would have happend if britian fell in the battle of britian

15. leopold Valued Senior Member

there were many battles of WW2 that deserve merit i almost feel ashamed to name just 2. for america the pacific theater battle would be the battle of midway. the battle of midway was the turning point for japan. she suffered a defeat there that she would never recover from.
    in the atlantic theater the battle would be the u-boat battle. germany was decimating the supply lines to britain with 10000 tons sunk a month not being uncommon. the defeat of the u boats signaled the end of germany, it was just a matter of time.

16. nietzschefan Thread Killer Valued Senior Member

Most of Russia's oil was in the Caucuses (south of Stalingrad), or far out to the east(scattered somewhat).

Russia was always going to have enough oil to power it's toys. Even the goal of grabbing the caucauses oil was a faulty one. For one, Russians would just burn it(and they did burn quite a few wells), For two, transporting to German refineries, would tie up rail lines, be exposed to increasing partisan activity and turn into a defensive war which the germans HATED to do and Hitler would always interfere with. Germans were pretty good at ad-hoc procedures, they might have made use of the oil anyway in some sort of mobile procedure, but I digress.

Basically the strategy should have been Moscow Moscow Moscow. Forget all these side adventures. Leningrad - siege, with NO ASSAULTS. Cut em off, fight only in open country, be nice to ukranians, ouilla! LOL Stalingrad wasn't even that big a factor if they absolutely HAD to get to the caucuses. Good god - prolly cost more oil/gas/resources/energy to drive to the Caucuses than you'd get from it. Thank the gods, the Germans had Hitler lol.

17. ashpwner Registered Senior Member

i think america take to much credit for the war and austrila new zeeland south africa and canada get to lilte oh and poland

18. ashpwner Registered Senior Member

would hitler have been good if he dident h8 jews wasent war beant he rebuilt germany and made it great again so i wonder how differnt the world would have been without hitler bieng a hell bent world domination lunatic

19. leopold Valued Senior Member

if hitler hadn't screwed it up germany was poised to be the next super power.
    german scientist were the best in the world, eclipsing anything america had.

as a matter of fact german scientists were so good that america was willing to compromise its security by "operation paperclip" where german scientists would be brought, covertly, to america. werner von braun was part of that operation. some of those scientists were loyal to the nazi regime and to the party and NEVER would have been allowed in the US.

Last edited: Apr 26, 2007
  20. nietzschefan Thread Killer Valued Senior Member

Well the Jews did a lot of "work" during the war. Slave labour is very nice to have during war. He should not have killed them(other than moral reasons), it was quite detrimental to his own war efforts. It's a good point. Also he would have faced far less partisan activity in Russia, Yugoslavia, the Ukraine had he not demanded them shot on sight or abducted.

Poland is often overlooked, it's true. The top allied ace of the battle of britian was a pol and all the pols captured by russians in '39 were given over to General Anders and attached to the British 8th army...which fought at...yes El Alamein! What a battle! A smorgeousborg of Allied units, pols, brits, aussies and kiwis ...oh god the kiwis, way to shine it on!

21. ashpwner Registered Senior Member

it's a shame germany fuked it up with hitler i mean to be fair the u.s is corupt in my opinion then again would germany be aswell the jews were just scaped goated due to the efects of ww1 and treaty of vesigh sry if i spelt that wrong so people just blamed them for the down falling of the country am i right?

22. Fungezoid Banned Banned

Have all of you fools ever heard of the LONGEST battle of WW2? The biggest battle, with the most monetary damage and losses. Also with massive losses of lives, SHIPS AT A TIME! The Battle of the Atlantic!??!?! If Germany had completely won, the Allied effort would have crumbled. If the Allies had won, Germany would have lost in weeks. Both powers rely on their shipping!

23. ashpwner Registered Senior Member

i think that people should not claim that the u,s did evrythink and vice versa with the u.k