More Dangerous/Deadly Cr@p from China

Discussion in 'World Events' started by sandy, Feb 15, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. shorty_37 Go! Canada Go! Registered Senior Member

I am selective when I buy food. Considering I hate Chinese food,
    I don't have much problem there!

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Orleander OH JOY!!!! Valued Senior Member

But I don't read the labels as to where candy, cookies, crackers, etc are made.
    I haven't a clue.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Anti-Flag Pun intended Registered Senior Member

In all seriousness though, why does it matter what country it's made in, isn't it down to the company that makes the product to ensure it's satisfactory? Lots of companies make their goods in foreign nations.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Orleander OH JOY!!!! Valued Senior Member

Yes, and they trust the out-sourced company to do what they say they are going to do. To do what they are paid to do. Not cut corners, follow procedures, have quality control, etc.

8. Asguard Kiss my dark side Valued Senior Member

BTW people you do realise its a little hypocritical to be critising china while at the same time taking koria to the world court for banning the importation of beef with CNS in it because of the risk of BSE

Oh and

You do realise that anthrax lives in the ground for 100's of years so there could be an outbreak of ANTHRAX at any moment.

9. Myles Registered Senior Member

You are right. The flood of Chinese goods seems unstoppable. I simply ask where something is made and, if told China ,I will seek an alternative. It's but a small gesture but it helps me to feel comfortable with myself.

You can sometimes find stuff from Taiwan or South Korea, for example. The one item that I can guarantee does not come from China is god's handcream. Stock up npw before it's too late and, while you're at it get some for John.
    He deserves the best

10. Myles Registered Senior Member

Not in it. ON it. Haven't you heard anyone asking for a side order of cardboard with extra fat ?

11. Orleander OH JOY!!!! Valued Senior Member

never heard that. :shrug:

12. Myles Registered Senior Member

I have seen several tv documentaries made behind the scenes in countries where kids as youn as eight work a twelve-hour day. The companies for which the goods are made are not represented on site. They make periodic inspection but, as they signal their intention to visit, the kids disappear and everything seems ok. When secret film footage is shown to company officials, they invariable express surprise and promise to look into the matter, Then nothing happens.

My impression is that these companies know they are using exploited labour by proxy but don't give a damn about anything but their bottom line.

I have seen four such documentaries in about the last two years.

Are you aware that there are US companies manufacturing offshore which means they can pay less than the the US minimum rate ?

13. Asguard Kiss my dark side Valued Senior Member

i cant find the artical but it stated that the US was taking SK to the WTO because they refused a second shipment that breached there no bone and no CNS rules. Ie there were bone fragments in it and they sent it back to the US. The US was VERY unhappy about that

14. Anti-Flag Pun intended Registered Senior Member

Agreed, I don't think any of these companies are naive enough not to realise it goes on, in fact a lot of companies(in general) encourage cutting corners such as that, it's all about the profit margins after all.

I'm sure I've heard that before, they can and do try anything possible to reduce costs, it's why so many companies move their services abroad to places like South America and India as the labour is far far cheaper than in developed countries, the people there love the companies because they pay 3 times their average wage but less than half that of a developed nation, everyone's a winner as they say.:shrug:

15. Asguard Kiss my dark side Valued Senior Member

hey anti flag, did you name yourself off the band? Im watching an interview with them now actually

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

16. shorty_37 Go! Canada Go! Registered Senior Member

LMFAO!!! It guarantees to lift and tighten!

17. sandy Banned Banned

You're blaming *me* for China's POS behavior? WTF?

There's a whole list of cr@p from China that kills/maims/ and is dangerous for Americans. Anyone who buys ANYTHING made in China is trusting morons with their health.

18. Anti-Flag Pun intended Registered Senior Member

Yeh I did.

I like the name, and the sentiments of the band, so it seems very appropriate for my views and personality, at least politically.

19. USS Exeter unamerican american Registered Senior Member

Other way around, our businesses go over there and exploit the workers, and we keep on buying from those businesses. Do your homework sandy, China is communist, all of the money people make goes to the community, not the individual.

20. USS Exeter unamerican american Registered Senior Member

I do agree with Sandy, but not for her reasons on it, but we should stop sending manufacturing jobs over there and keep them here in America.

21. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

I'm gl@d she put the @ in the title instead of an "a". I almost thought of something ba...

too late.

22. Michael 歌舞伎 Valued Senior Member

My iPod was made in China and it's great - not a single problem.
    My PS2 was made in China and it's great - not a single problem.
    My DocMartins were made in England - lasted less then 6 mo and the sole snapped right in half

23. Myles Registered Senior Member

Forgive me but I'm not up to speed with my geography. I was referring to offshore places governed by the US, something like a dependency, or a protectorate; that sort of thing. Because they are offshore and not, therefore, part of mainland US . there is no minimum wage.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.