Morals: Homosexualtiy

Discussion in 'Ethics, Morality, & Justice' started by Cactus Jack, Apr 25, 2002.

1. Tiassa Let us not launch the boat ... Valued Senior Member

Scotland, for instance

Scotland to approve same-sex marriages
    The above article came from The Scotsman via Yahoo.

• First off, I don't understand what the hell the problem is with the Catholic Church or "Relate". Well, okay, the Catholics, but they're nearly over, anyway. But when I put the opposition into its own context, I see a conflict.

Namely, the Catholic Church and Relate both see the move as damaging to the "institution" of marriage. At the same time, though, the Catholic Church is lamenting that the union registry attempts to "mimic marriage without legal responsibilities."

Well, crap. You know, there's the problem. Give gay couples the right to marry and then they'll not have to "mimic" marriage. Give them the legal responsibilities of marriage and they won't have to "mimic marriage without legal responsibilities." And in terms of Relate's histrionics: what, if you're worried about the "demise of marriage" then let people get married, damn it!

• And those legal responsibilities are part of what's at issue. To hop back to the US for a moment, it wasn't too long ago that a court in Pierce County, Washington, awarded the estate of a dead man to his family instead of his gay partner of 30 years. That the family had kicked the man out and essentially disowned him in response to his homosexuality mattered none, and the judge awarded the estate to the family because that was all the law allowed him to do. The right for two people to provide for each other is what the Catholic Church and this Relate organization are opposed to.

Of course, I live in a city with civil unions. I would like to see my gay neighbors allowed to provide for each other without the fetters of insidiously-devised pseudo-morality. I think the union registry is crap because it doesn't award the rights of that union.

Whether Glasgow or Seattle or Buttpimple, Nowhere, what is the problem with allowing people who are committed to each other's wellbeing to do their utmost to that end? How can people hampered by exclusivity be expected to contribute to that which excludes them? And yet, they do.

Two cents on an interesting development.

thanx,
    Tiassa

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Latexlover Registered Senior Member

I don't mind gays as long as they don't have to tell me about it. "Look at all the rainbow stickers on my car! I'm gay, look at me! Notice me!"

Who cares. Do straight people have straight stickers on their cars? What would that look like anyways?

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

If they want to marry, they should be able to. As long as they are treated exactly the same as a straight marriage.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. ratbat Hippie of Darkness Registered Senior Member

Have you ever seen any of these stickers:
    I Love my wife!
    Proud parent of an honor student.
    Pimp-Style
    No Fat Chicks
    All of these are considered straight stickers.

So I'm gonna have to say, YES I have seen straight stickers, on their cars.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Zoidberg Registered Senior Member

Let people do what they want. Who are we to control peoples actions. What kind of society would we be if didn't let people be who they wanted to be. It would be like Nazi Germany.