Morality and atheism....

Discussion in 'Religion Archives' started by VitalOne, Jun 5, 2007.

1. Wisdom_Seeker Speaker of my truth Valued Senior Member

But yes, most of morality is about what we have being told is good or bad. Not what we really think, but what society have made us think.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Wisdom_Seeker Speaker of my truth Valued Senior Member

Please reffer to the context on which the person wants to die, are you talking about euthanasia?

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. VitalOne Banned Banned

Yeah, or mass-suicide......is it wrong to kill MILLIONS in this way? In my opinion it is, because I know the truth of karma...

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. ashura the Old Right Registered Senior Member

Depends, is God the one doing them?

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

8. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

See again you are assigning values to actions.

What if I feel no hatred but I merely want to kill everyone because it will make resources more available for the remaining?

9. Wisdom_Seeker Speaker of my truth Valued Senior Member

But why would you have to kill millions if they want to die? they would do suicide, and what they get is another chance to get it right. I don´t understand how you need to kill millions that want to die. If they really want to die they would do it themselves. So for me yeah, "they want to die so I killed them" is a lame excuse.

About euthanasia, well, maybe is not wrong if the person is in extreme pain and wants to die more than anything, I guess is ok. I personally would have a hard time figuring it out, I don´t know, it depends on the situation.

But about karma, I´m in the same page as you are, if a person kills millions like Hitler, death is nothing, he will surely have a hard time paying for that in cyclic existence.

10. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

let us stick to atheism for this debate.

11. Wisdom_Seeker Speaker of my truth Valued Senior Member

Then you will be a cold hearted bastard, and that is the attitude you would get in response, only people acting like cold hearted bastards around you. I hardly see that as Utopia.

12. VitalOne Banned Banned

Well, what about people who want to die but don't have the balls do it themselves? There are millions like this, what's wrong with killing them out?

13. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

Again you are assigning a value. Why would I be cold hearted?

14. VitalOne Banned Banned

What do you mean?

What's the difference between the act of intentionally killing innocent people and the killing of innocent people? The two are certainly connected...whats the context have to do with it?

15. Wisdom_Seeker Speaker of my truth Valued Senior Member

Because you won´t feel other people´s feelings, you wouldn´t have what is called empathy, the most basic of human emotions. You don´t see other people suffering, you wouldn´t care about that, you would show no bit of empathy. without empathy, we would all be phsycotic killers. That is what I call a cold hearted bastard, a person without empathy.

Empathy is the feeling we have in order to understand other people´s expressions, if a person is feeling pain, we notice it, and we act upon that. To person with no empathy, an expression of pain and a smile are exactly the same. There it is, a cold hearted bastard.

16. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

Why should anyone feel good or bad about it?

17. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

The context is important; a murderer kills one person and goes to prison for life. A soldier kills hundreds and is lauded and appreciated.

So, is killing people wrong?

18. Wisdom_Seeker Speaker of my truth Valued Senior Member

About what? about empathy?

Because that is the way a newborn child communicates with his mother. People without empathy are the people who were mistreated by their mothers or "caregivers". For example, a child whos mother hit him to stop crying because he was hungry learns this. So in school, the kid would see another kid crying and he would go and hit him. Because he can´t relate, he feels no empahy. He would get mad at the other child that is crying and go and hit him.
    Is this good for you? mothers that abuse their childs when they are hungry? this is basic nature.

19. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

About living or dying, it is a fact of life; everyone will eventually die.:shrug:

20. VitalOne Banned Banned

Well yeah, if they're innocent, ofcourse if a soldier kills innocent people they're equally wrong, however if a soldier kills other opposing soldiers (who wouldn't be innocent people), then its completely different......

21. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

So if two soldiers are fighting and one kills the other, who is wrong?

22. superluminal I am MalcomR Valued Senior Member

Hi everyone.

Don't have time to wade through six pages of posts but here's my opinion anyway.

Religion imposes an additional, mostly arbitrary (and irrational) set of meta-morals on top of those already inherent in humans (and many other animals). For example, not killing your own kind on a whim is inherent because individuals that practiced that kind of behavior were mostly killed of thus leaving fewer offspring and therefore leaving that behavior to fade from the gene pool. Not eating cheese popcorn on fridays or covering the sin of nakedness are arbitrary imposed morals designed to reenforce the power and the hold of the particular religion.

Therefore, atheists, who posess all of the normal inherent morals that allow social groups to function well simply eschew the baggage of those irrational arbitrary "morals".

Anyone who thinks that you need a god fantasy to make you a responsible, caring, relatively normal adult is ignoring the facts of evolution and demographics (there are millions of nice atheists in the world).

23. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

So what makes war and genocide so rampant? Why is murder such a common phenomenon?