money..money..!

Discussion in 'Business & Economics' started by Veselin Andreev, Oct 5, 2011.

1. Veselin Andreev Registered Member

i wonder about the guy,....!
    who would've thought about inventing money...?

i see a reason to connect all,.....which eventually turned out just opposite....!
    we are all departed...!:bawl:

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Michael 歌舞伎 Valued Senior Member

Money is really the only way to deal effectively with large armies, such as Persian, Greek, Roman, Egyptian. See, most of the time people deal in Gift Economics. Barter is possible with Armies but money is just more efficient.

Money and War is your answer, welcome to Humanity

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Stoniphi obscurely fossiliferous Valued Senior Member

I believe that it was in Sumer about 8500 years ago. The standard of trade at the time was barley, which got cumbersome to haul around when you bought something expensive.

Barley was used because it had intrinsic value to that culture - for making bread and beer (not necessarily in that order).

The ruler of Sumer had silver coins made with his face on them to replace measures of barley and set up a stone pedestal with the first formal set of laws on it. One of them should be familiar - "An eye for an eye and a tooth for a tooth".

If memory serves me right, it was the stamping of the coins and the setting up of the laws that convinced a particular group of Semite tribes to leave Ur for parts unknown....

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Read-Only Valued Senior Member

That's got to be one of THE silliest things I've seen anyone post here in quite a while!

What if you are horse breeder by trade and need a pair of pants - trade an entire horse for a pair? Or drive yourself crazy trying to find someone who wants a horse to trade for something else to trade for something else to trade for something else - until you FINALLY get that pair of pants????

8. MacGyver1968 Fixin' Shit that Ain't Broke Valued Senior Member

Try getting a hooker to accept a box a turnips.

9. Me-Ki-Gal Banned Banned

Beer then Bread Stoni . Enki worshiped the Beer Goddess . He gave up his throne for a shit load of beer drinking . Shit there would have never been a Jesus if he didn't do that . Gave away the Me's of heaven for beer . Only in Mans world would that happen . Think about what we do for beer still to this day . Beer Woman and Guns don't mix real good , but it sure is fun . Gimmi a shot of dat whiskey ! Ahhhh Dats good boooooooze ! George Dickel

10. Michael 歌舞伎 Valued Senior Member

There's a new book on the history of money and economics out (I saw the author give an interview but I just can't remember the name of the book

In short, for most of history, money wasn't used. Neither was bartering. Most of the time if you needed something you asked for it and was usually given it, with a promise you'd give something in return later. Which is the way we do things in the home. No big surprise there. Everyone knows everyone and so obviously if you're a cheat, or your family is a cheat, that's going to screw you out of the local economy. People in such societies have an idea of what stuff is "worth". Something I think we greatly lack today. Anyway, when large armies stomp through, you'd obviously need a different system. Thus gold and silver coins. When the armies disbanded, people go right back to promise trading.

11. Stoniphi obscurely fossiliferous Valued Senior Member

Right you are, Me - Ki! LaBatts Blue here, preferably.