Modern Christianity, the bible and God's laws

Discussion in 'Religion' started by davewhite04, Mar 4, 2024.

1. Pinball1970 Valued Senior Member

Tour thinks god created life, there was no Abiogenesis as far as he is concerned.

He is a creationist and is a spoke person for the Discovery Institute who are anti Evolution, pro ID and anti science.

From memory I have not read one single headline in the literature that claimed, "this is how it happened."

There is a mountain of evidence out there already also possibilities in terms of mechanisms, models are explored, studies in the lab, spectral data from space and Webb is still early in its career.
    Samples from Asteroids are being analysed as we speak.
    This will not be one answer, just as Quantum Mechanics was not one answer, it is a rich story and has many chapters.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. davewhite04 Valued Senior Member

Really well described.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Pinball1970 Valued Senior Member

Yep that messed with me too.

This is where pop sci fails. The Universe did NOT begin as a "point" smaller than an atom that "exploded" into space.

The "Observable" universe is part where light from the furthest region can still reach the earth.
    Beyond that who knows but there are reasons to think that beyond that it is more of the same forever in all directions.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. davewhite04 Valued Senior Member

I believe God created everything, and science can eventually figure out exactly how He did it.

The question that is left is, why He did it? That's when I wish there we more theists on sciforums, or at least philosophers willing to explore that area.

8. davewhite04 Valued Senior Member

So you don't believe in the big bang?

9. Pinball1970 Valued Senior Member

Not Penrose's, it's called CCC. Pretty far out.

That's a long discussion!

10. Pinball1970 Valued Senior Member

I said, "pop" sci fails. Science is ok.

11. Pinball1970 Valued Senior Member

If science works it out it will not be god.

12. Pinball1970 Valued Senior Member

When you say "everything" you mean people? Trees? Mountains? Planets? Stars?

13. davewhite04 Valued Senior Member

Not from what I've seen. He does think abiogenesis is an explanation, but it will take many years for it to establish itself as a theory, like evolution. He does believe God created everything(he is a Christian), but that doesn't mean that evolution is not true or abiogenesis is a promising hypothesis.

He is a believer in Intelligent Design. Creationists tend to believe that the earth is 6-7k old.

14. davewhite04 Valued Senior Member

Yes. But He used evolution to do it(Cosmic, Chemical etc..).

Why? Same reasons He made shit teeth, because He wanted dentists. He wants us to think, He wants to test us, see if we worship something else over Him is what I think.

15. davewhite04 Valued Senior Member

Science will work out and improve on every scientific question. If we don't blow each other up first.

16. Pinball1970 Valued Senior Member

Amen.

17. exchemist Valued Senior Member

Ah but that's not what he believes, according to what I have read. Tour thinks life required divine intervention - a miracle - to get it started. He ridicules the idea of natural abiogenesis, for no better reason than that he, personally, can't see how life can have been created in a chemistry lab like his, on a human timescale. It's just a version of Dawkins' "Argument from Personal Incredulity".

Pinball1970 likes this.
  18. davewhite04 Valued Senior Member

I'm not sticking up for him, but to his credit he has said that we'll figure out how life begun. Not in our lifetime or in our children's, but we will. He may of said miracle before but has changed his tune last I heard.