MMORPG WAR: Wow, Starcraft, Everquest,Runescape, Cabal Online, Guild Wars, etc

Discussion in 'Computer Science & Culture' started by Forceman, Mar 19, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Forceman May the force be with you Registered Senior Member

MMorpg fans. It is war amongst the fantasy rpgs.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. pjdude1219 The biscuit has risen Valued Senior Member

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Bells Staff Member

WoW has been dumbed down to such an extent that it is now idiot proof and no longer fun...

EQ2 is dead boring..

As for the others.. meh..

Wait for The Age of Conan.. MWAHAHAHAHAAAA!!.. I want a war elephant so I can stomp on people.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. pjdude1219 The biscuit has risen Valued Senior Member

wow was always more less idiot proof. though i do agree with on the whole war elephant thing

8. original sine Registered Senior Member

I'd say Starcraft because it's the only game that I have played out of those mentioned, but I'm inclined to geek out and say that Starcraft is not a role-playing game... it's a real-time strategy game. Even though it allows for RPG elements, it still functions like an RTS. If you don't care, well then, I vote Starcraft.

9. Bells Staff Member

It was an easy game to take to, but it has been dumbed down so much that my 2 year old could probably play it. I mean honestly, they are scrapping all of the attunement for all end game content such as MH and BT. It's as if they have dumbed everything down so that everyone can just get "epics" without any effort at all. The TBC ruined WoW... PvP is a joke.. AV is just a zerg fest. The other BG's are all just PM's rolling over pugs. Arena.. LOL.. you can sell arena points now so that getting arena gear is even easier.

It became sucky for those who actually raided or PvP'ed seriously for their gear pre-tbc, only to now have any nub going to a few BG's in one week and coming out with the same gear that you may have worked for weeks, if not months for. The stuff you can buy from badges now virtually makes raiding not even worthwhile anymore.

Meh.. bring on TAOC.. I want my elephant..

Stompy stomp stomp!!

10. pjdude1219 The biscuit has risen Valued Senior Member

as a more casual gamer i guess i have a different view of things. and as i said i think TAOC looks good

11. lucifers angel same shit, differant day!! Registered Senior Member

world of warcraft all the way! i love it!!

i have about 4 differant characters!

12. pjdude1219 The biscuit has risen Valued Senior Member

what server?

13. Bells Staff Member

I used to raid.. now I am casual and only play when I get the chance... usually doing bg's to keep my violent side happy.

14. lucifers angel same shit, differant day!! Registered Senior Member

i play on thunderhorn!

longview
    shortshanks
    loocifer

and i also have horde characters:

bloodraine

15. Ganymede Valued Senior Member

I assume you've gotten a 2000+ rating in the arena? Probably not. Anyways, here's the link to my character in the Armory.

http://www.wowarmory.com/character-sheet.xml?r=Stormscale&n=Cetawayo

16. Bells Staff Member

Started off well in S1, but then got side tracked by real life and children.

Was never really into arena to be honest.. I liked pvp in the pure sense.. such as raids or what can come close which was the old style AV.. the one's that could go on for days.. They were fun.. But I used to raid pre-tbc so pvp was mostly a way to relieve tension or to just do something else. I stopped when tbc came out and I had my second child. I went back to it briefly, but 25 man raids just aren't the same as the old 40 man raids.. and the content seemed so rehashed.. Plus the patches since then which have buffed classes to such a ridiculous extent. They ruined the game basically.

WoW was fun when it first came out, even with the thousands of bugs and server issues. But during the last couple of years, instead of fixing the classes, they simply just gave them more (dps, etc).. For example, the inequality between alliance and horde were ridiculous in pre-tbc. Paladin buffs made raiding easy for alliance, while horde usually had to tough it out. So instead of fixing shaman skills to make them slightly on par, they simply allowed horde to have paladins and alliance to have shamans. I mean.. wtf?

It's just become dull now. A zerg fest basically and they are so desperate to give everyone epics that in a few weeks, a person can deck themselves out with raid quality epics or buy arena points for gear. Again.. wtf?.. As I said in a previous post, you can simply buy arena points now, so all it really is all pointless.

17. Ganymede Valued Senior Member

Actually, you can't by Arena points anymore. I mean you can, but it's pointless. The devs have introduced something called personal rating. Personal rating is something that you build with every Arena win. In Season 3, If you wanted to buy an Arena weapon you have to have a rating of 1850 and a personal rating 1850. Whenever you leave an Arena team, your personal rating is reset to 1500. Also, if you would like to purchase shoulders you would need to have a 2000+ rating.

So, lets do some quick math. The average arena player has a score of about 1600. And most players participate in the 2v2 bracket. At 1600 you're getting 354 points a week, to get a full Season 3 epic set, you'll need 8,325 points (not including off hand and Weapon). So it would take 23 weeks for someone to get a full epic gear, by being an average player. Balanced? I think so. Even if you were in the top 1%, it's going to take 14 weeks to get a full epic set, including weapon and offhand. Balanced? I think so

Last edited: Mar 20, 2008
  18. sly1 Heartless Registered Senior Member

I played for about a year from open beta.....and I must say the game progressively got shittier. And here is my conclusion as to "why" First off.....the storyline and lore has gotten so diluted its hard to keep track of everything.

I remember back when it was UBRS runs and there was ONLY world pvp......PvP was at its best and most raw when there were absolutely no BG's and people actually tried to raid and kill faction bosses.

40 man dungeons sucked logistics wise but that difficulty in content will never be met again as the 25 man dungeons have too much margin for error.

I remeber back first doing MC and getting attuned it was fun because you got a taste of the lore. As the game expanded, to bwl, aq, naxx, tbc....I noticed I cared less and less about the lore and the bosses.

world pvp was destroyed with the addition of BG's and DK's.....and world pvp was the most enjoyable. Nothing motivated you to cap your level faster than when you saw a bunch of opposite faction level capped bad asses roll through and destroy everything.

There is just far far too much content in wow now.

I do enjoy 5v5 arena matches though as they can get pretty interesting dpending on the group make-ups

edit: All in all though wow was a very memorable experience with a decent pay-back when you finaly decide to quit. full epiced out, keyed, exalted faction toons sell upward of $1600

19. shichimenshyo Caught in the machine Registered Senior Member

Diablo 3? yes it will happen....one day

20. Bells Staff Member

You don't need personal rating to buy S2 gear. And on my server, people buy points to get the gear they need.

The game used to be balanced. It isn't anymore.

Look, WoW introduced a lot of people to gaming, who would otherwise never have tried. Its interface is probably one of the best to use, because it is easy. Other games have not even come close in that regard. But as the years have gone by, they have dumbed down the content and buffed every single class to ridiculous proportions. Granted, standing there shooting shadowbolts at a mob from your hands is ridiculous, but you know what I mean.

Like Sly, I remember when there were no BG's and UBRS was actually a challenge.. Then MC opened up and the rush for FR gear started and the first entry into MC and getting stomped by the giants by the bridge while the raid leader was screaming 'OMG RUN RUN RUN!' and then laughing when we realised he was dead and the rest of us had managed to run out. That was fun. The 25 man's just don't have the same feeling. By the time we got through most of Naxx after clearing AQ40, I was starting to feel 'meh' about it. So I stopped playing for a while and returned when TBC was released. And that 'meh' feeling still hasn't changed. BG's and arena have nothing on what world pvp was like. I remember pvp raids on Ironforge or Stormwind and having so many people crowded in one place would make our computers chug.. Hell, I remember raiding SW and getting there just as someone started their Onyxia attunement event..

So now, I only play as a distraction when I am bored after the kids have gone to bed. I don't even bother playing my 70's anymore.. done all the quests and the instances and raids.. So I am levelling a squishy.. never played a lock before so it's different for me.

I'm waiting for Conan and will see how that goes. It appears to promise to have a lot of potential.. similar to what wow used to have when it first came out.. hopefully they won't ruin it like blizz ruined wow over the last few years.

21. SkywalkerJedi アスラン・ザラ ( Athrun "Alex" Zala ) Registered Senior Member

Star Craft is gonna win

22. sly1 Heartless Registered Senior Member

its not an MMORPG......for the same reasons COD4 and CSS are not.

23. Xelios We're setting you adrift idiot Registered Senior Member

I think that was put in there to disqualify EVE, because it wipes the floor with other MMORPGs.

Unless you just want a game that's easy to have fun with, then I'd have to say WoW.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.