Misinformed people

Discussion in 'General Science & Technology' started by Enigma'07, Jul 15, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Enigma'07 Who turned out the lights?!?! Registered Senior Member

Two statements I have heard, the person being compleatly serious:

1. "I can't eat blue barries and banana's because the are too fattening."
    this person also had a shopping cart full of patato chips, pork rinds, cookies, etc.

2. "The thighroid is in your thigh. Duh!"
    she was absolutly certain she was right

This is sad! Where do people learn such things?!

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. hotsexyangelprincess WMD Registered Senior Member

well, some people didn't make it all the way through high school. and some are just ignorant. and you wonder why 100 is still the average IQ. :m:

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Communist Hamster Cricetulus griseus leninus Valued Senior Member

And people who campaign against GM food, even though they havn't any proof of any kind that GM food is bad in any way. Thick.

Let's round them up and cull them.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. guthrie paradox generator Registered Senior Member

Stalinist.

8. invert_nexus Ze do caixao Valued Senior Member

My grandma used to tell my sister and girl cousins that they had to be careful going to the bathroom after a guy's been in there. They might get pregnant because the sperm have tails.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

9. hotsexyangelprincess WMD Registered Senior Member

lol. so if a guy took a piss, they might get spoojed? lol, how stupid. :m:

10. invert_nexus Ze do caixao Valued Senior Member

You callin my grandma stupid?! The woman was a saint! Them's fightin' words, mister!!

Actually, my grandma was really smart, but she was a product of an earlier time and certain misconceptions are difficult to remove. She had an excuse. She was old. Very old. She moved to my home town as a little girl in a covered wagon. Believe it or not. She died in the 90's. That's a lot of change, man. A lot of change.

11. Closet Philosopher Off to Laurentian University Registered Senior Member

I saw a guy at the library today who was insisting that the symptoms of Multiple Sclerosis was unexplainable scarring. He thought it was "Multiple Scarosis".

yeah, I also hate it when people say that fruit are too high in sugar yet they have a cart full of junk food.

There was this gorl on my school bus a couple of years ago who must have weighed over 300 pounds and she would criticize me when I would come on the bus with a diet coke, she'd say: "you know, diet Coke is bad for you". It was stupid because almost every day she would have sugar pop, candies, cookies and chocolate bars on the bus with her. She would eat a meal of junk then complain about how slow her metabolism is for an hour (the bus ride to school was one and a half hours). She was so stupid, it made me sick. She had to go back to high school for two extra years because she kept failing subjects like parenting and english. When she finally passed high school, she went to college for Early Child Education. I won't want my kids being exposed to such a negative role model at a young age!

Anyway, I am kind of upset at her stupidity because she keeps emailing me about how she has no friends at college and how she wants me to visit her dorm. I told her I was not interested in seeing her but she keeps insisting!

Stupidity!

12. ElectricFetus Sanity going, going, gone Valued Senior Member

My step mother and my father hate GM foods, I would not want to kill them! People can easily become misinformed and believe false facts, when questioned or criticize they will become defensive and reinforce them self’s that they are right. Its best toe leave the stubborn ignorant the way they are.

13. Facial Valued Senior Member

These people are good entertainers.

That is, until the moment when their cumulative potential embarassment unleashes itself when they see the light.

14. phlogistician Banned Banned

I'm anti GM, so step up, gerbil face.

Monsanto have sued people who's crops have become cross pollenated by GM crops in the vicinity, stating that the offspring use Monsanto's intellectual property, and therefore they have a right to be paid. I say stuff them, they should be able to contain their pollen, or eventually, GM food will mean there can be no non-GM crops, or organic crops ever, which will ruin the livelyhoods or organic farmers.

15. Communist Hamster Cricetulus griseus leninus Valued Senior Member

16. ElectricFetus Sanity going, going, gone Valued Senior Member

phlogistician,

To be technically correct all food that we eat is genetically modified: wheat for example is not a natural organism but the hybridizing together of 3 different species over the ;last few thousand years by people, corn, oranges, apples you name it are all significantly larger in there heavily breed variants, many natural plants were even poisonous until people found a non-poisonous mutant and breed them.

Also many of the ills that many claim GL foods could do like making super weeds and causing ecological damage have already been done with conventional breeding and hybridizing practices. Examples like the Killer Bee, Purple Lucite and Kane Toad. As well as health hazards have occured with conventional breeding and hybirdizing practies.

I have no problem with putting restrictions on GM foods such as the requirement for infertility and lethal operons which would make it so that a GM organisum could not breed or even live on its own without human monitoring.

17. phlogistician Banned Banned

WCF, I nearly agree with you that selective breeding is close in effect to GM, until we get cross species splicing, and it comes to experiments like 'ANDi', a primate that had foreign (transgenic) DNA inserted.

I see GM food as being the thin end of the wedge, opening up acceptance of far more bizarre and pointless splicings, the long term ramafications of which are uncertain.

Nature doesn't need a helping hand, it looked after itself just fine before this branch of primates though they were in charge.

Of course, the 'intellectual property' angle is a huge can of worms. If Monsanto can own a genetic pattern in corn, what's to stop biotech companies demanding royalties on everything that's grown eventually?

18. vslayer Registered Senior Member

about gm:
    we have almost no gm at all, the only stuff we have is for research and not consumption.
    its partly because the govt is going for a "clean green" image and also because we have so many hippies that rip up the crops all the time

i remember a while back when some corn got contaminated with GM, the hippies forced the govt to destroy the entire crop aswell as the crop in all the other farms in the area

19. Communist Hamster Cricetulus griseus leninus Valued Senior Member

I agree, the 'intellectual property' thing is a sticky situation. But GM will make things better, like increased crop yeilds, etc

20. ElectricFetus Sanity going, going, gone Valued Senior Member

Actually nature fuck up repeatedly: mass extinctions, imperfectly designed organisms, aging, ect GM is about correcting natures horrible, horrible mistakes

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

I totally argee that is a serious problem, but that not limited to GM foods that problem encompacies the politics of all genetic Biotech research.

Communist Hamster,

not just crop yeilds, we can make food more healthy, more ecologically friendly and even make plastics and fuel.

21. Communist Hamster Cricetulus griseus leninus Valued Senior Member

Yeah! Biofuels **hits himself on head*** why didn't I think of that?

22. Alpha «Visitor» Registered Senior Member

100 will always be the average IQ, that's how it's defined. If people get smarter, the scale will be adjusted so the average is still 100.
    It's funny, Monsanto was the first thing I thought of when I saw "GM food". I have to agree, Monsanto is pure evil, but I'm still not against GM foods as a rule. They have good potential, but obviously certain safeguards need to be put in place, and the laws need a bit of ironing out.
    To be technically correct, those are naturally modified. GM refers to being genetically modified by us.
    It can make some things better, but it will (and is) making some things worse.
    See here for more info on the Monsantano case.

23. ElectricFetus Sanity going, going, gone Valued Senior Member

they were genetically modified, selective breeding and hybridizing changed their genetic structure, nature did not choose these plants or animals, we did.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.