Millionaire Soldier signs on for 3rd tour in Iraq

Discussion in 'World Events' started by madanthonywayne, Mar 1, 2008.

1. nietzschefan Thread Killer Valued Senior Member

Allowing the military to be deployed against the wishes of the people, is a failure of the people(GWB got reelected by the people) he's the CIC.

The general fact that it IS a shitty mess in Iraq right now only adds more honor to this man's re-up. Well, there is a chance that he loves to kill rag heads I guess...hell I don't know, but neither do you. I just don't see to many millionaire acting in service to their country that brought them prosperity.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. hypewaders Save Changes Registered Senior Member

Good effort nietzchefan- although you didn't answer the question.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. The Marquis Only want the best for Nigel Valued Senior Member

You see, Hype, sometimes the results of actions matter far less than the actions themselves. Sometimes, to be seen to be doing something is more important than actually doing it.

Maybe you'll understand that someday.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. hypewaders Save Changes Registered Senior Member

The Marquis: "sometimes the results of actions matter far less than the actions themselves."

Can you give me an example?

"Sometimes, to be seen to be doing something is more important than actually doing it."

Deception is a virtue? I don't get it. How has this credo worked for you?

"Maybe you'll understand that someday."

I'm trying... but I still don't get it. Maybe some clear examples will help. & while you're here- would you explain to me what the occupation is accomplishing for the USA in Iraq??

8. Challenger78 Valued Senior Member

The internet didn't make people harder to manipulate, in fact since the goverments were so successful in discrediting it, It made it easier for people to manipulate.

9. Echo3Romeo One man wolfpack Registered Senior Member

Very commendable. I doff my cover to thee, SGT Leyde.

10. Harnu Semper Fidelis Registered Senior Member

Well there's a big difference between volunteers and those who go but may not really want to. If you want to go over there, you're probably a lot more enthusiastic about going over there and accomplishing your mission, no matter what it may be. As opposed to someone who, though enlisted during a time of war, may not really want to go over there (maybe for a 2nd or 3rd time), these kind of people will probably care less about what their doing. And if that means interacting positively with the general populace, the volunteer will be more apt to have a positive influence.

11. one_raven God is a Chinese Whisper Valued Senior Member

Can you have an honorable warrior without an honorable war?

12. hypewaders Save Changes Registered Senior Member

In the absence of any war, yes. Under the conditions of a wrongful war- not for very long.

13. Echo3Romeo One man wolfpack Registered Senior Member

To me, the honor comes from pledging servitude to the people and the Constitution, irrespective of personal feelings about what your duties may entail. That is why it is called service.

One thing to remember, for some perspective, is that if people like this guy didn't volunteer for military service, we'd be drafting angsty tweens who would rather be home smoking weed and hammering the controls of their PS3 than getting deployed to dark corners of the world every so often. Not only that, but like Harnu explained above, draftees tend toward the inferior side of the performance spectrum because they don't want to there in the first place. Lord knows we have enough problems with recruiting douchebags already, I can't even imagine what a conscript army would be like, especially during an unpopular war.

14. hypewaders Save Changes Registered Senior Member

A sense of patriotic duty is not unique on any side of a war. On the wrong side of a wrongful war, honor is expended. That is why you and I swore to support and defend Constitution first. Dissent can become a duty of honor under circumstances of unlawful and wrongful warfare. The occupation of Iraq is depleting the honor of our troops- even the honor of those who do not understand what's going on.

15. Syzygys As a mother, I am telling you Valued Senior Member

Do you know what a samizdat is? Back in the days of no internet people who tried to act against the government used it for getting the info out. You had to type the info, photocopy it then spread it among friends or strangers. Nowadays I just have to make a website.

THAT is the difference....

16. Syzygys As a mother, I am telling you Valued Senior Member

You know, the German soldiers who overran Poland were also servicemembers.

It is really a missnomer. The USA doesn't have a volunter army. Only stupid people (mostly politicans) call it like that. Correctly it is called a professional army. Meaning they are PAID for doing duty.

You don't volunter to work for McDonalds, you get employed by them. You do volunter for PTA extrawork for free. See the difference?
    So you can not say if I didn't volunter to work for McDonalds you wouldn't get a burger unless we would draft people working for McDonalds.

See???

17. hypewaders Save Changes Registered Senior Member

I think McDonald's is a poor comparison. There is an aspect of volunteerism, service, and self-sacrifice in taking the oath and training, putting on a uniform, and going in harm's way. Where I differ from many other veterans is over the assumption that honor is unimpeachable regardless of the nature of assignments undertaken. I strongly believe that soldiers forfeit honor by participating in unwarranted aggression or oppression. Among the many dire hazards of combat, sometimes situations arise that honorable people should recognize involve the mortality of honor.

18. Syzygys As a mother, I am telling you Valued Senior Member

Are we talking about here policemen, firefighters, miners or rescueworkers? Because all of the above classify and they are all EMPLOYED, not volunteered.
    (except for volunteer firefighters, but I think even they get some kind of monetary contribution)

The point is, just because your job is dangerous, that doesn't make you a volunteer.
    Look at any other similar armies, Germany, France, UK. They call theirs professional armies, because that's what they are.

19. hypewaders Save Changes Registered Senior Member

Syzygys: "Are we talking about here policemen, firefighters, miners or rescueworkers?"

Yes, there is a similarity there, especially in post-911 US culture.

"The point is, just because your job is dangerous, that doesn't make you a volunteer."

Well, I know it's in a different sense than you intend it here, but I had to volunteer for submarine duty after enlisting in the Navy, because of some weird protocols. It wasn't nearly as hazardous as what infantry enlistees are expected to do in Iraq as a duty of enlistment. This is really just semantics we're getting into- US military service is currently a voluntary profession, setting aside the young USAmericans who default to military service in a duressed attitude of economic or legal last-resort.

20. Echo3Romeo One man wolfpack Registered Senior Member

The token Nazi reference. How delightfully original.

Your analogy is false. There is no article in the Constitution giving McDonald's the authority to raise a workforce. If nobody chose to work at McDonald's, McDonald's would go out of business. If nobody chose to man up for Uncle Sam, he'd start drafting people again. The terms "professional" and "volunteer" are synonymous and interchangeable, not loaded in the way you seem to think.

Forfeiture implies volition. The military establishment doesn't get to pick its battles, so I'm not sure how a soldier can forfeit his or her honor by adhering to their oath, regardless of how odious the task at hand may be.

21. hypewaders Save Changes Registered Senior Member

Did you somehow miss the Nuremberg part of military history E3R?

22. Echo3Romeo One man wolfpack Registered Senior Member

Wait...are you seriously attempting to conflate today's US military with the Nazi war machine?

23. vincent Sir Vincent, knighted by HM Registered Senior Member

I think he has watched to many john wayne movies, & he seems to think he is doing good in iraq, there is nothing worse than a soldier fighting for religon & fighting with a bible in his hand.