Milk in a thermos?

Discussion in 'Free Thoughts' started by chroot, Jan 5, 2003.

1. wet1 Wanderer Registered Senior Member

Sometimes your taste buds can pick up the taste of milk going bad long before it goes bad. At other times it has to be a bit closer to the time.

I have always been sensitive to the taste of milk going bad and found that usually it bothered me a day or two earlier than my counterparts could detect.

Milk is not one of those items that does well in a thermos.

A tip for keeping your liquids warm longer. Fill the thermos with hot water prior to use. Allow enough time for the lining to absorb the heat from the water before pouring it out and filling it with whatever you wish to take with you. Heat is lost in the liquid you take with you in warming the liner. By eliminating the heat transfer to the lining you gain a longer time that it will be hot.

2. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Gifted World Wanderer Registered Senior Member

I made instant cider once. I tried pouring milk in for flavor and to cool it down, and up came little white flecks. The flecks tasted nasty. Perhaps something similar happened?

4. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Gifted World Wanderer Registered Senior Member

Also, did you use an instant mix, or make it from scratch?

6. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. pumpkinsaren'torange Registered Senior Member

Chroot

CHroot...you'd think so, but sometimes stainless steel can be destroyed (anyways..i'm sure you already know that) ...not so much by the milk's enzymes ;D but, rather by lack of oxygen in the passive layer of the container made of stainless. the passive layer can become damaged/corroded at certain points, so keep enough oxygen circulating around in the enclosed thermos to avoid such stuff happening like, pitting and small hole developments. in other words, don't leave the milk in the thermos for years and years, but, rather take the stopper/cork out from time to time and let the innards of your thermos breathe. why am i telling you this...i know you know. bye.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

8. pumpkinsaren'torange Registered Senior Member

ok ok...i'm back-peddling ....the first time i read your thread, i read through it quickly that i didn't even notice the stainless steel part. so, there.