Mental illness and parapsychology.

Discussion in 'Pseudoscience Archive' started by Bebelina, Mar 9, 2010.

1. cosmictraveler Be kind to yourself always. Valued Senior Member

Why not visit a mental health hospital and find out more. There are many reports about the problems with mental illnesses but as yet I've never seen anything that link the two together in any way.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Bebelina kospla.com Valued Senior Member

A small note:

Atkinson& Hilgard: According to the ganzfeld procedure, the test results were 38% correct, 25% is considered normal for "chance", I qote " The probability that it could have arisen by chance is less than one in a billion" (Ben & Honorton, 1994).

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Bebelina kospla.com Valued Senior Member

I would appreciate that and other related links, surely there must have been some kind of investigation in this field too, or am I breaking new ground? Wow, maybe there's an award waiting for me then.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Dywyddyr Penguinaciously duckalicious. Valued Senior Member

So? The procedure was flawed which makes the results more than suspect...
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ganzfeld_experiment#Analysis_of_results
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ganzfeld_experiment#Criticism
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ganzfeld_experiment#Controversy

8. Bebelina kospla.com Valued Senior Member

Naw, I didn't find that "criticism" strong enough to have any value.

9. stateofmind seeker of lies Valued Senior Member

And if you have a TV but it's turned off you won't pick up any signals either

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

10. Crunchy Cat F-in' *meow* baby!!! Valued Senior Member

Here is a good start:

http://www.everydayhealth.com/schizophrenia/hallucinations-and-delusions.aspx

There are more links at the bottom of the article.

The content of any particular hallucination or delusion generally isn't important unless a study is focusing on why people choose to believe weird things (and there are plenty of separate studies for that).

If you make a discovery related to the pathology of schizophrenia or some unknown aspect of how humans think then you might be able to earn some form of recognition.

11. Crunchy Cat F-in' *meow* baby!!! Valued Senior Member

You should:

"Julie Milton and Richard Wiseman carried out a meta-analysis of ganzfeld experiments carried out in other laboratories. They found no psi effect, with a database of 30 experiments and a non-significant Stouffer Z of 0.70."

12. Bebelina kospla.com Valued Senior Member

Well, where is the criticism to that study? Was it supervised properly?

13. Bebelina kospla.com Valued Senior Member

Great article though, I might refer to that in my report.
    The ultimate "goal" would be to somehow prove that the voices actually are coming from other people and are being overheard, or transmitted, instead of labelled as delusions. It could be that schizophrenics actually are extremely telepathic but the people they seek help from deny this possibility, which makes them afraid and in conflict with themselves and the voices.

14. Dywyddyr Penguinaciously duckalicious. Valued Senior Member

You would have to show conclusively that telepathy actually exist first.

15. Bebelina kospla.com Valued Senior Member

Did the voices tell you to write that?

16. Dywyddyr Penguinaciously duckalicious. Valued Senior Member

Nope, it was the leprechauns that live with my hamster.

17. PsychoticEpisode It is very dry in here today Valued Senior Member

If that is how you feel then you might want to check out some of this guy's literature.

'The American psychologist Lawrence LeShan proposed that each person has his or her personal reality, and the psychics and mystics share separate ones from other people which allow them to access information not available to others.'

18. Doreen Valued Senior Member

Nope, yourself. It is not the same. They have evolved a process that specifically uses quantum processes, unlike other processes in organisms which of course on one level have quantum phenomena present, but are not specifically utilized as they are in this case in the sensory apparatus of the birds. The same goes for the photosynthesis process in the bacteria I linked to. The organism is specifically utilizing a process dependent on quantum processes. In fact the scientists noted that the mechanism is similar to that used in magnetoscopes. In other words the sensory system is like one of out tools and no doubt evolved because the tool worked. What part of the liver, the kidneys, the genitals or some other part of the body evolved due to the fact that a specific quantum effect made that organ work better? You are going against the understanding of the scientists involved.
    Actually it is all on probabilities, given what we know. You spoke in certain terms. I presented examples of things that would have been ruled out by the given knowledge at various time periods, but you ignored this. This is why scientists explore things that would have seemed unbelievably unlikely at earlier times.

Not an argument. Come on D, you usually do better than this.

Yeah, and the oceanographers and fluid scientists knew all about waves and oceans and fluid physics. Except they didnt. And no one knew that a living organism could utilize quantum parallel processing, as the aforementioned bacteria use, could create photon utilization efficiency at such amazing levels. In fact they would have written off such high levels of effective use as not possible.
    Well, gosh I guess the scientists involved are wrong. You should write to them and correct them. My specific question to Graham Fleming was Do you know any other organisms that utililize quantum processes?

and he refered me to the studies of birds and how their sensory systems utilize the quantum zeno effect. .

1 - I did not say that this article on the brain indicated quatum processes in the brain. I linked to it as an example that the brain is, continually, turning out to be more complicated than previously realized. 2 - again it is bad science to rule out things in general based on current knowledge. Of course it is generally practical to choose research based on what seems likely now given current knowledge, but that is different from making statements based on speculation as if they were based on knowledge.

Last edited: Mar 11, 2010
  19. Dywyddyr Penguinaciously duckalicious. Valued Senior Member

Source?
    Because I have
    I.e.it's the quantum effect acting through chemicals that gets "used".
    http://news.softpedia.com/news/How-Birds-Can-See-the-Earth-039-s-Magnetic-Field-84707.shtml
    Which is your own link.

meh, okay.

Although that one does say "may".

It's your fault!! You always turn just before I go to bed.

Chemical processes and "may"?

Agreed. I was merely showing that it's been debunked (as any basis for "telepathy").

Not really, we can rule out a lot of things based on current science - if they directly contradict what we do know and what has held up for so long.

Yet it's done (and not just by me).
    And certain "avenues of research" ARE ignored because they are ruled out by what we know.

I'll try and catch you earlier next time: it's 3 AM here and I had a rough day.

20. darksidZz Valued Senior Member

I"m pretty f'd up right now

and im psychic!

21. Crunchy Cat F-in' *meow* baby!!! Valued Senior Member

You mean hallucinations (audio specifically in that case). A delusion would be believing the hallucination isn't one but something else. I can't imagine why you would want to achieve such a goal seeing as science has demonstrated schizophrenic audio phenomena to be hallucination.

What you could research is how a schizophrenics mirror neurons and normal senses combine and feed into audio hallucinations. Smelling emotional states and viewing facial expressions for example may result in mirror neuron activity that translates into somewhat relevant with audio hallucination. For example, if someone with schizophrenia spaces out on the road and then is honked at by a driver with an angry facial expression, he/she may hear voices that say things like "Moron! Idiot!".

22. Bebelina kospla.com Valued Senior Member

Exactly, and how has science proved that the honker actually didn't think that?

23. Crunchy Cat F-in' *meow* baby!!! Valued Senior Member

It really doesn't matter what the honker thought (many people don't think in words by the way). Science has already demontrated that the content of Person A's thoughts cannot be communicated to Person B using nothing but thought. Thats why we communicate with our bodies (voice, expression, posture, smell, etc.).