Medical errors now third leading cause of death in US

Discussion in 'Health & Fitness' started by Plazma Inferno!, May 5, 2016.

1. Plazma Inferno! Ding Ding Ding Ding Administrator

Analyzing medical death rate data over an eight-year period, Johns Hopkins patient safety experts have calculated that more than 250,000 deaths per year are due to medical error in the U.S. Their figure, published May 3 in The BMJ, surpasses the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention’s (CDC’s) third leading cause of death — respiratory disease, which kills close to 150,000 people per year.
    In their study, the researchers examined four separate studies that analyzed medical death rate data from 2000 to 2008, including one by the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services’ Office of the Inspector General and the Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality. Then, using hospital admission rates from 2013, they extrapolated that based on a total of 35,416,020 hospitalizations, 251,454 deaths stemmed from a medical error, which the researchers say now translates to 9.5 percent of all deaths each year in the U.S.
    According to the CDC, in 2013, 611,105 people died of heart disease, 584,881 died of cancer and 149,205 died of chronic respiratory disease — the top three causes of death in the U.S. The newly calculated figure for medical errors puts this cause of death behind cancer but ahead of respiratory disease.

http://sciencebulletin.org/archives/652.html

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Ophiolite Valued Senior Member

250,000 deaths from medical error per year.
    33,000 deaths from road accidents per year
    13,000 deaths from guns per year

3,000 people die fifteen years ago and we get a War on Terror.

I sense a logical disconnect.

sculptor likes this.
  4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. sculptor Valued Senior Member

(wild guess du jour)
    We do not have enough doctors in the U.S.A.
    ?

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. timojin Valued Senior Member

What does that mean ? stay away from doctors ?

8. Ophiolite Valued Senior Member

It means evaluate the importance of events and data in an objective manner, avoiding prejudices, biases and stereotypes in your thinking, thereby arriving at conclusions and plans of actions that will deliver the most favourable results.

9. Bells Staff Member

I think the problem goes beyond the number of doctors. As such, it isn't the lack of numbers that is really the problem.

The researchers caution that most of medical errors aren’t due to inherently bad doctors, and that reporting these errors shouldn’t be addressed by punishment or legal action. Rather, they say, most errors represent systemic problems, including poorly coordinated care, fragmented insurance networks, the absence or underuse of safety nets, and other protocols, in addition to unwarranted variation in physician practice patterns that lack accountability.

“Unwarranted variation is endemic in health care. Developing consensus protocols that streamline the delivery of medicine and reduce variability can improve quality and lower costs in health care. More research on preventing medical errors from occurring is needed to address the problem,” says Makary.

One of the main things the study noted was the lack of national figures to measure the issue and the lack of reporting of medical errors that result in a preventable death. As an example of the lack of reporting and accountability of a 'medical death' they used this case as an example:

A young woman recovered well after a successful transplant operation. However, she was readmitted for non-specific complaints that were evaluated with extensive tests, some of which were unnecessary, including a pericardiocentesis. She was discharged but came back to the hospital days later with intra-abdominal hemorrhage and cardiopulmonary arrest. An autopsy revealed that the needle inserted during the pericardiocentesis grazed the liver causing a pseudoaneurysm that resulted in subsequent rupture and death. The death certificate listed the cause of death as cardiovascular.

In short, the medical deaths are not being reported as medical deaths. The young woman died as a result of a medical mistake, but it was reported as cardiovascular.

This means there is a lack of data, which would provide a better picture of the true nature of medical errors that result in death or even serious injury.

And this problem is not just in the US, but pretty much everywhere. I found that out the hard way, when a doctor's lack of care/notice nearly resulted in my death and that of my son's during childbirth. When I went back and read through the reports after having filed to view them through the Freedom of Information Act, as a way to deal with what happened to me and to my son, I saw that the cause was not the doctor's failure, but the blame was placed on my body.. What had actually happened was that my obstetrician did not look at a crucial ultra-sound, which clearly indicated that I needed a c-section, because she was running late for her flight. Having just had the ultra-sound (which was required because earlier ones had shown that my placenta was too low and could impede a natural birth), the images had yet to be loaded on the system and when she called about the images, she was told it would take 15 minutes to be loaded and for the report to be made. Instead of waiting, she booked me in to be induced 4 days later and shuffled me out the door as she rushed out behind me to catch her flight for a weekend away.

When everything went pear shaped after being induced and sent to my hospital room and I was rushed into surgery, the head of the obstetrics department, who had seen me being rushed down the hallway with blood dripping from the gurney, stepped in, and in the normal course of trying to determine what was happening, requested the last ultra sound images be put up on the screen and immediately knew what had happened. One of the last things I remember his saying to me as he held my hand to help me sign the consent form for the surgery as I was starting to pass out from the blood loss and shock, was why was I not booked in for a c-section 2 weeks prior because the ultra sound images showed the placenta was covering the cervix and what had happened was that it literally snapped in half as I started to go into labour after being induced.

Instead of citing the clear medical error and negligence of my obstetrician, my medical records only indicated an adverse event due to a low lying placenta. It failed to note that I should have never been allowed to go into labour at all and that the only safe and viable option for me was a c-section. It was the head of obstetrics, who had performed the emergency c-section, who came in and explained what had happened to me a few days later and asked me to detail my last appointment with my obstetrician and asked me if she had seen the last ultra-sound images, the report of which clearly stated that I needed a c-section before I could be allowed to go into labour. I explained everything that had happened in my last appointment with her the Friday before and also advised that she had not looked at the scan images, or read the report and that she had literally left the office right behind me, with her suitcase and caught a cab as my husband was bringing the car around at the front of the hospital.. That is how I knew the extent of her negligence, so when I read my medical file and saw what was written there instead... Suffice to say, it took a long time for me to get over that mentally.. I was taken off her service and placed on his service during that time, because it was clear that what had happened was the direct result of her negligence. But my medical records never detailed that.

It is that lack of accountability and reporting that is a huge issue because the authorities and the powers that be, are unable to determine the true extent of the problem. As the study also notes, the problem is underestimated and this doesn't surprise me at all.

10. timojin Valued Senior Member

I cannot be predigest, my son will be a doctor God willing by 2017, my wife is a nurse , so I here sometime some comments .

11. timojin Valued Senior Member

I wonder if the causality could be divided like surgery practiced and family practices .

12. Bells Staff Member

This report only looked at hospitals. But it would be interesting to see what the figures are for 'family practices' as well when it comes to medical errors.

13. parmalee peripatetic artisan Valued Senior Member

As I've noted here before, I've been epileptic since about age four--but I wasn't diagnosed correctly until the age of 25! Why? you might ask: I was poor and had little to no access to decent healthcare. In retrospect, "no access" would have been preferable, as the docs I did get to see--at public health clinics--gave me a whole five minute appointment. Usually, more like two or three minutes. I was diagnosed and treated for "schizophrenia," among other things. As a consequence of some of these drugs, my epilepsy was worsened considerably, and in some instances, irreparably. Now I'm considered "refractory," or a hopeless case.

How did I get a correct diagnosis? Somehow, I managed to go to grad school in Toronto (Canada, for U.S. idiots unfamiliar) (by the way, my undergraduate education was paid fully by scholarships which covered tuition, fees, and way beyond any living expenses I could possibly conceive--as noted, I was/am poor), went to a psych, got a proper three hour appointment, and was immediately sent to a team of neurologists.

Fuck America. I treat myself now (with what I will not state presently), and haven't been to a doctor in nearly twenty years--oh, except for the time in Turkey in which I seized in a park and awoke in a hospital 36 hours later. They treated me just fine, and didn't bill me. In fact, I've long maintained that I will never go to a doctor in this shithole of a country again without a gun. I don't have a gun, so I'll probably never see a doctor again (at least in the U.S.)

Then there's my mother's older sister: she went in for a routine lower g.i. some years back, became severely ill shortly thereafter, and then had a multi-organ (five? six? seven? can't recall) transplant, and then she died. The apparatus for the g.i. apparently were not properly sterilized.

So I repeat: Fuck America, and fuck the rich. "Purging" ala the crappy film franchise (actually, the second one wasn't bad) is my dream.

14. timojin Valued Senior Member

Why are you so bitter on America ? because you are poor, because bad diagnosis , Yet you had all the scholarship and you had all you expenses paid . I don't know what you do for living . You have managed to travel. Was your family on a welfare system ?
    From were I come we don't have a welfare system, we struggle without doctors , we learn how to live , our country is our country, the country does owe us anything , it is for us to make a living , succeed or fail .
    Your anger , you have a lot of loose energy , why don't you channel your energy in doing some good for the who have less then you, and make a more pleasant world for them.

15. parmalee peripatetic artisan Valued Senior Member

My, how presumptuous of you. How do you know that I do not "channel" my anger into more creative endeavors? The reason I've gotten to travel so much is that I'm a musician--that's where I channel my anger, for one.

Moreover, I live in one of the most affluent nations on the planet; yet a majority of the populace have not had access to decent medical care for much of their lives, cannot afford a "500 dollar emergency" (look it up, I'm not bothering with providing a link for a presumptuous ass like yourself), and do not even have access to decent food (again, no link: just look up "food deserts"). Still, we seem to have a fair number of millionaires and billionaires with multiple homes and more wealth than they could spend in a thousand lifetimes.

You're not angry? Good for you. Let the rich shit all over you and be proud.

16. parmalee peripatetic artisan Valued Senior Member

Actually, here's link for ya:

Anger Is an Energy: My Life Uncensored, by John Lydon

Though you may not care much for Lydon's prose, as he has little patience for those who spew biblical nonsense wholly irrelevant to the topic at hand ( http://www.sciforums.com/threads/co...hs-great-oxidation-event.156160/#post-3376538 ).

And no, we did not get welfare: my single mother worked full-time for just slightly above minimum wage. She has lupus, and was advised by her doctors to pursue disability; however, disability (welfare) would have been considerably less than what little she was already making, and so she could not afford to do such. Instead, she just worked herself nearly to death.

17. timojin Valued Senior Member

As for food : many churches have food pantry. Same food that comes from big food markets are donated to churches to be distributed among need, there are also food stamps for needy . My sisters obtain food from time to time from the church. As for medical clinics : My son is medical school : they attend patients for free at the university hospitals .
    As for your mother> How much do you contribute to her well been, remember that is the obligation of the children to help parents when they are in need

18. parmalee peripatetic artisan Valued Senior Member

Fuck off, idiot.

And seriously, do you have the capacity to comprehend anything that you read? Or do you only retain that which you read only immediately prior? Most of your remarks have already been countered and addressed within this thread--do you seriously not understand that?

19. iceaura Valued Senior Member

I do not want to appear to be defending the bizarre dysfunctionality central to the US health care system, but in point of fact the better we get at treating disease and trauma and so forth the larger the share of deaths due to medical error will become.

Our treatment capabilities are almost certainly nowhere near good enough to make medical error the cause of a legitimate third of all deaths, but it's a statistical factor to consider.

If we could cure everything by mistake-free medical care, all deaths would be medical error.

Ophiolite likes this.
  20. Ophiolite Valued Senior Member

Excellent point. I created consternation in my company when I suggested we should aim for a situation where all our equipment failures were a consequence of poor design or manufacture, since this would mean we had eliminated inappropriate selection or application of said equipment - currently the main causes of failure.

21. Fraggle Rocker Staff Member

Because of new technologies, as well as better understanding of how human body works, doctors are performing far more surgeries than they were in the past. It stands to reason that there will be more errors, but on the balance more people are saved.
    How about a statistical comparison: In the last 15 years, terrorists have killed no more than 4,000 Americans. Meanwhile in those same 15 years, Americans with guns have killed roughly HALF A MILLION of us. Which danger would a sensible government focus on?

22. Ophiolite Valued Senior Member

You are the linguist. Isn't sensible government an oxymoron?

23. timojin Valued Senior Member

Is you British system any better ? could you explain a little better what you mean by but in point of fact the better we get at treating disease and trauma and so forth the larger the share of deaths due to medical error will become. "

I am not sure how valid are the number by medical death . There are cases were the doctors have no power over death, are the death by accident , poisoning , suicide car accidents natural death , and other incluided in medical death since everyone is taken to the hospital , then pronounced death due to medical practice ? most death are pronounced death are by the hands of a medical doctor.