Mathematicans trying to list all possible shapes in the Universe

Discussion in 'Physics & Math' started by river, Jun 12, 2015.

1. river

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. rpenner Fully Wired Valued Senior Member

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. river

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. danshawen Valued Senior Member

After they finish that project, they should certainly do a follow-up project to determine how many ways each of those shapes are affected by differential aging of different parts of those shapes at different rates in different environments. Sounds like another colossal waste of supercomputing resources inspired by some of Brian Greene's discrete math challenged science videos.

Who really cares if they do that, or simply spend the rest of their meaningless and finite lives chasing the last digit of the constant pi? Hundreds of like minded savants did just that, you know.

In a universe that only endured for a zeptosecond, only one shape was actually possible. Which shape do you suppose that was? Something that could be calculated in polynomial time to great precision, no doubt.

If they manage to finish either project before it is time to have dinner at the restaurant at the end of the universe, please resurrect me so that I can see all of those interesting shapes, and also find out what the last digit of pi was. Perhaps then eternity won't be quite so boring...

I guess the shapes of viruses and snowflakes just aren't interesting or plentiful enough for some folks.

Last edited: Jun 13, 2015
  8. river

I understand your point ; heck of a long time

But at the end of the Universe , at that restaurant , it might be the understanding of shapes that got you there.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!