Mass bannings, anyone?

Discussion in 'SF Open Government' started by James R, Nov 9, 2008.

?

Read the first post, and vote:

Poll closed Nov 19, 2008.
  1. I want mass bannings, according to the suggested process.

28.0%
  2. I do not want mass bannings.

54.0%
  3. I abstain from this vote.

18.0%
  1. Mr. Hamtastic whackawhackado! Registered Senior Member

draqon for Head Cheese!

2. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Mr. Hamtastic whackawhackado! Registered Senior Member

Wait. James R, this is serious? LOL I'm sorry I assumed the idea was so patently ridiculous it couldn't be serious. Sort of like asking what breed of dog was the best lay.

4. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. draqon Banned Banned

A double take, heh? James' a dog dude, ya know.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

6. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Mr. Hamtastic whackawhackado! Registered Senior Member

He may know which breed is the best lay then. Tell us, James. I'm betting on cocker spaniel.

8. GeoffP Caput gerat lupinum Valued Senior Member

Which racist tirades are these? And what should be done about cultural supremacists? There are some of them also.

9. draqon Banned Banned

cultural supremacists? leave them alone.

10. Ophiolite Valued Senior Member

James you are completely missing the point. I was one of the people who called for OilIsMastery to banned after you banned Kakard, or whatever the hell his/her name was.

I did not make that request because I disagree with him. I disagree with, for example, Baron Max. I find the Baron to be a selfish, bigoted, fascist pig. I abhor the positions he adopts on most things. I imagine, if he thinks about it, he has similar warm feelings about me. I would object vehemently if he was banned. He has done nothing to merit banning. He expresses opinions, with which I disagree, but does so with justification. The justification arises out of a different perspective base, and so his conclusions differ from mine. Fine.

I requested OIM to be banned because in dealing with facts, not opinions, he distorts, manipulates, takes out of context, employees multiple logical fallacies, and generally runs rough shod over the scientific method. When any of these are pointed out he ignores the response, or replies with more of the same.

I am offended that you think my banning request was based upon someone holding different opinions from me. If plazma wishes to post a message to the effect that he is happy to allow individuals to post unscientific nonsense, to post it repeatedly, to deliver a non-stop string of logicall fallacies, and otherwise break the posting rules of the forum, then I'll stop requesting the ban on OIM.

11. Ophiolite Valued Senior Member

Could you give me an example. I've only ever been thrown out of a fundamentalist Christian forum and would like to broaden my experience.

12. AlphaNumeric Fully ionized Registered Senior Member

It depends on whose views are considered to be more important, the members or the moderators. Do the moderators want SciForums to be a particular way? What if the members, or at least a majority of them, want something different for the forums? In whose hands should the power to remove unwanted elements be in?

For instance, in principle the PhysOrg forums were set up to be a discussion area for mainstream physics. The majority of the members were cranks and so if they had had the power to ban they would have banned myself, Rpenner, Trippy and others who aren't members here, thus taking the forums even further from their originally intended nature.

Are the moderators here to make these forums as palettable to the members as possible, in which case 'Majority rules!' should be implemented. If the moderators are here to uphold the original vision of whoever set up this site, then they should not give banned powers to the majority vote because if the majority are people against the original vision for these forums, they will take the forums further from that vision by banning the people who stand for it.

I'm sure I'd get a few people voting for me to be banned, I do rub people the wrong way in many 'discussions'.

13. draqon Banned Banned

AlphaNumeric you are so considerate and so appreciative, sorry for thinking otherwise.

14. leopold Valued Senior Member

bull fucking shit diamondhearts.
    i've been moderated by skinwalker, i know his MO.
    the man does not deliberately infuriate posters that he is "after".

you're full of shit clear up to your eyeballs.

15. leopold Valued Senior Member

and those that are left can proudly wear sciforums official colors.

16. draqon Banned Banned

guys and girls, I think you are all missing a point here, even though James has suggested such an outrageous idea as "mass bannings" he voted against it.

17. DiamondHearts Registered Senior Member

I have had some previous experience with this moderator, I speak form experience.

http://www.sciforums.com/showpost.php?p=1440015&postcount=25

This is but one example. My friend Kadark is but one of the recent victims of this.

Furthermore, who are you? I don't even know you, why are you so profane and devoid of common courtesy?

Posts like these are why sciforums is sinking and its membership is declining. We allow these hate-filled posts to dominate these forums. Obviously members will leave because of this.

18. Bells Staff Member

Sciforums survivor!!

19. draqon Banned Banned

you missed the point, what he meant to say is those who have not been banned will be wearing insignia of bloodmarks, the killers of the members before them.

20. leopold Valued Senior Member

i also speak from experience.

is that relevant to the discussion who i am?
    i have no idea who you are, and i could care less.
    i'm only interested in your opinions.

ah yes, political correctness rears its ugly head.

21. Killjoy Propelling The Farce!! Valued Senior Member

No, you missed the point.
    Personally, I think you need to drink much more and whore around some, but that's an aside...

In the aftermath, the remaining "fuh-roomers" will change the logo to a variant of the Tareyton cigarette ads, and all will wear a fake black eye thingy like this:

22. draqon Banned Banned

I don't smoke, Mr. KillJoy

23. Killjoy Propelling The Farce!! Valued Senior Member

`
    I weep for the world - such is the sad state of its youth...
    :bawl:

No, really... I do.