Martial Arts question.

Discussion in 'Human Science' started by Dinosaur, Apr 28, 2002.

1. MooseKnuckle Registered Senior Member

Ok ill end this discussion with you, cause who really cares. We just disagree, no problem. Good luck with your fighting training though.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. freefighter187 Registered Senior Member

fine

im right, but we can disagree anyway. Thanks for the kudos though, you can expect a person of my descrip to be fighting publicly sooner rather than later in the next few years. Itll be me

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. MooseKnuckle Registered Senior Member

And of what description would this be?

What is your weight/height? What kind of discipline are you? How old etc, Im interested in hearing what you have going for you.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Persol I am the great and mighty Zo. Registered Senior Member

Actually freefighter, I am the best fighter you will ever see. I bring a gun into the ring with me. You'll be on the ground before you realize what happened... and there is no second round.

Generally I'd leave the gun at home, but you are kind of ignorant... and I have a feeling you are also like this in person.

8. river-wind Valued Senior Member

silliness, both of you!

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

Moving on to education, the only usefull part of this thread:
    ki and chi are the same thing. chi is the English translation of a Chinese word, ki is the English translation of a Japanese word.

Aki Do is the defensive subset of aki-jitsu, and was created by a Buddhist munk who did not believe in aki-jitsu's use of attacks, only in defending.

Tae Kwon Do is a good art of simple self defence and for show, but will not win against a person trained in most other martial arts, for one simple reason: It was watered down when it entered the US to appease Americans who didn't like working too hard.

Hap Ki Do is a sort of middle way between Aki Do and Tae Kwon Do, some grappling as well as kicking.

Kicking above the stomach is a slow attack, because it has to travel faerther to get to where it is going, and because the distance between the attack point of the limb (leg vs arm) and the previous joint is much longer. Longer limb=more power behind strike, but longer time for maximum velosity to be reached.
    Kicks to the head *can* be usefull, Just as Dave "the Super Foot" how he won all those tourniments.

American Kempo Karate (fdr: Ed Parker) was designed for street fighting multiple opponants, goal #1 - remove your current attacker from the scene in one move if possible. Krav Maga, style of the Islralie military, took alot of its teachings from Kempo Karate. Note the above posters use of the "I raised my hands and said 'Ok, I'll give you my money' then attacking. Ed Parker's favorite move. He liked to put his hand behind his head as if scratching his neck, 'I don't want to fight, man', and if forced to, would then break the nose of the attacker w/ a hammer fist to the face with the up lifted hand.

That said, my first Kempo teacher competed in UFC in 97, and got both his arms broke. Anhd he was a double black belt Kempo guy.

There is no one true style, it depends on the goals of the fighter, yes, but alos on the body shape/reaction time of the individual. I am thin, I do not make a very good grappler. I do make for a very good pin point striker. Dim Mak mixed with 5-animals kung-fu ended up being a good fit for me.

Bruce Lee was one of the worlds best fighter of the past 100 years, without question. His Jeet Kun Do (Way of the intercepting fist IIRC, it's been a while) is amazingly simple and flexable. A crashing wave can be as forceful as a brick wall, yet it can soften and flow to fill it's container. Be as water, my friend.

I have studied the following for at least 3 belt advancements:
    Judo
    Kempo Karate
    Isshinryu
    Tae Kwon Do
    Wu Shu (I did this for 3 years. they do not have belt advancement but a single step from "white sash" to "black Sash" I stopped when my instructor told me he would grant me black sash if he were allowed to)
    5-star mantis Kung Fu
    Hap Ki Do
    I have studied the following off and on enoguh to feel comfortable in the basic katas, and the basic manuvers. Not enough to say I "know" the styles:
    Tang Su Do
    Ti Chi
    Dim Mak
    Drunken Monkey Kung Fu
    Bagua
    Krav Maga
    Ninjitsu
    I have recently gotten into the following styles, and have only a bare essence of what they are about
    Akido
    Akijitsu
    Iai-Art of drawing a sword. I currently have only studied written material on this style.

I list the above so that anyone who wants to argue with me *inteligently* may do so. any name calling will be ignored. I'd love to discuss stylistic differences and uses therin.

9. Avatar smoking revolver Valued Senior Member

it's a matter of how hard you train actually
    I've once even almost fainted
    I agree about what you said TKD against other martial arts except kickbox- we get all the medals in their championshps over here

what style would you advice to add to my possibility range apart from gripping? I have a weird dislike towards that

10. river-wind Valued Senior Member

I haven't done much grappling, for the same reason, not a huge fan of it.

Before I try and suggest a style, what are your strengths? what are your weaknesses? What body type do you have? How hard do you want to work?

And yeah, TKD can be pretty impressive if you work hard - I've seen some very fast sidekicks just as they hit me in the stomach from TKD people

not a bad style, by any means. And perfect for people with no to mid-range high levels of expirience. It a great style to teach balance and form- including strength training for keeping your leg lifted for long periods of time

I don't mean to knock it as a style, but from my exp, it's not as usefull in a street fight situation, where, as was mention, you'll very possibly end up grappling.

American Kempo has a number of moves to deal with grappling attacks, judo deals alot with grappling, as does ninjitsu.

If you don't want to learn how to grapple, you need to learn how to get out of a grapple. Untrained people will, when attacking, throw their weight at you, it is in your best interst to move out of the way of that momentum, and strike them as they pass. if then knock you over, you need to free yourself, and immobilise them ASAP.

Bruce Lee's advice was to study one style for years, so you can get all it's moves down, then shop around, learn other techniques and how to replell htem. the more you know, the less often you will be surprised.

btw, I apoligise for being so preachy, but it appeared to be needed.

Last edited: Apr 28, 2003
  11. Avatar smoking revolver Valued Senior Member

thanx - good input

p.s. I'm not from the USA so I don't know what the TKD is like there

12. freefighter187 Registered Senior Member

my descrip

Ok mooseknuckle,
    just so you know where im coming from heres my exact descrip, no lies. I'm 6' 2", 175 lbs(pretty lanky but well muscled), i bench press 280+, squat 620+, and curl 135-(thats some good crap for my weight if you ask me). I run cross country and track with a 18min 20 sec 5k, 11.87 100 meter, and 18 1/2 ft long jump avg. I also play basketball and football. As you you can tell im still in high school, so ill tell you im 17. Ive loved martial arts forever, especially the jkd philosophies. I self taught jkd since i was 9 with a little bit of help from my instructor in tkd, which ive only been doing for about 3 years. I've also grappled forever wrestling when i was younger and then jiu jitsu, so i do have grappling experience. I may seem young to be so arogant but hey, ive never lost a match even just messing around in class. I plan to gain recognition in grappling rather soon, ill be the guy that never loses. Ive not wanted to enter tournaments until recently though.

As for persol, i swear im not as arrogant as i sound, i just know im good. I personally would never get in a ring with you and your gun cause im more of a comedian when people try to get me to fight, rather than a testosterone pumped teen. I like making people happy but i love martial arts more.

and river wind, everyone knows everything you said already, so why bother. I am a huge fan of grappling, but not as a fighting art, its more of a sport dont you think?

13. river-wind Valued Senior Member

Re: my descrip

Cause I think I actually know something

I'm arrogent, too

in my exp, most people, espetially when drunk, tend to quickly move from a boxing-type fight into a grappling style (many times by accident. they simply fall, and try to roll with it). The less training they have, the more likely they are to fall onto you or pull you ontop of them. I've ended up in grappling type situations more often than I have standing face to face w/ someone, as we spar back and forth.

I a situation such as a bouncer or body gaurd, where you can't just "take the person apart" for legal (and moral) reasons, grappling is the 1)most likely thing that will happen, 2)the best way to subdue the person w/o getting sued afterwards.

I'm really not a big fan of grappling, though, as I'm lankey and thin. I'm flexable, which helps, but I do alot better when there's a space between me and the other guy.

thanks for replying to my post, I was a bit worried I had overdone it

How entrenched in JKD are you these days, have you done most of your study through books, or have you found an instructor to learn from? I'd love to find someone to train under in the JKD area a few years down the road.

Avatar- where are you from? do you take TKD in Korea? I have heard stories about how much harder the Korean TKD instructors are; my fourth belt advancement was overseen by a guy from korea, and he kicked us all in the stomach as a final test before the new belt was bestowed. he kicked hard, too!

14. Avatar smoking revolver Valued Senior Member

no, I'm from Latvia, but TKD in Latvia was established only some 14 years ago (fall of the USSR) by Korean instructors. We try keep the old training traditions (although we lose a lot of new students that way - that is, we can all training just learn one hit or one block and the newbies get bored fast) and our trainings can not be called the easy way by any means . ok- so we had to quit all the excercises where you just can't get hurt because of the complains from the new generation

lol.
    To get the black belt you have to face 2 oponents at a time for 3 times and they fight you without any protection gear. Only blocking is allowed from your side.

all in all - we are no Shaolin extreme, but we try to keep up our form to say the least

laughs- btw I can be considered quite a newbie also. I went from the World TKD Federation to International TKD Federation and they didn't accept my previous sertificate. Had to start from the begining, but I'm very sattisfied with the decision. I.T.F. here is much tougher.

15. river-wind Valued Senior Member

It sounds like your TKD is tougher than most of the TKD I've encountered here in the US (though there is one school in Maryland that is the exception, they train pretty hard. I'm sure there are other school around the US that train harder than the average too).

the black belt test sounds like it is the same as it is here, but here, the instructors are pretty flexable about what "successfully defending against two attackers 3 times" actually means. I've seen 3 or 4 people who I'd say got their butts kicked, but the people attacking them pulled their attacks (didn't attack fully, and stoped before any real contact occured). So in the end, the person testing was tired but ok, and they were passed. These same people regularly lose sparring matches w/people w/lower belt rankings :\

I'm training one person right now (don't ask, it was a strange situation, I'm training her cause she needs it, but can't afford to go anywhere formal), and I'm using alot of the TKD white->yellow belt katas in what I'm teaching her. she got so excited over learning round house kicks (while holding onto the wall) yesterday - it reminded me how fun teaching can be

Last edited: Apr 29, 2003
  16. freefighter187 Registered Senior Member

to riverwind

well river wind, most of my training in jkd is mostly vid and book read, but i recently have been studying with an instructor who is an 8 year practitioner. It seems you may be right about tkd, it is getting to easy to belt. My self training is very rigorous, working the 70 lb heavy bag arms and legs for 2 hours to end the training session after various speed, precision and technique drills.
    on a side note, Im lanky and thin also and have become my jiu jitsu instructors prodigy student.(LOL) its true. I love jkd and welcome the chance to talk or train with anyone on it.
    Also i know where your coming from on these pitiful people making belt, theres a black belt in my tkd class that would get torn to shreds in a match against me or a friend of mine(another skilled jkd follower) Just goes to show that they let practically everything slide but forms, aint that shit. A black belt should be able to kick some ass.

My instructor currently sets up title fights in jiu jitsu for me vs whoever so someone will finally gain the rank of class champ besides me. But you know what, ya beat once ya beat em a million times.:m:

17. sciencegeek Registered Senior Member

In reality you don't really need to kick above the waist. I used to do Tae Kwon Do tournament competition and I've only got one kick to the head in competition sparring. I nearly knocked her out. It was rather affective but impracticle for actual use. That was before I went into Shao Lin and learned that TKD was kids stuff. In most forms of martial arts it wasn't until the 20th century that they started really kicking above the waist a lot.

18. BLASTOFF Registered Senior Member

freefighter187/ i dont fight in the arena anymore, i teach now and have some young fighters which will make it later in life, i hope they may get to meet yourself in the arena, in time to come, i still keep up with my training and i am still fast even though i am forty three, but i beleave that age is only a number, i was trained by master ho chi wan, and now i teach by his side, i also train in the art of bushido, i meditate every day, i train every day, i own a farm so i get a lot of weight training every day, but if you have a dream of being the best, dont let anyone spoil it go all out for it and get it, good luck.

19. freefighter187 Registered Senior Member

of course

even if i dont become the best it'll be fun to try right? I hope to meet any of you or your students in the future. I swear im not to cocky.:m:

20. Siddhartha Registered Senior Member

I try not to get involved in any fights, and will go to lengths to dissolve any potential for conflict, however, when faced with one... I don't tend to think in any particular style. The moves made are all... suggested by themselves. It's like when you're trying to balance something, what's logical presents itself. However, I am kinda influenced by recent inroads to Shotokan Karate.