Marijuana linked to Psychosis?

Discussion in 'Biology & Genetics' started by madanthonywayne, Apr 7, 2010.

1. PsychoTropicPuppy Bittersweet life? Valued Senior Member

I think I can live with that.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

Last edited: Apr 8, 2010
  4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Fraggle Rocker Staff Member

Well duh! Children are still growing; that's why we don't call them adults. The circuits in their brains have a lot of development left, as does the regulation of their endocrine system. Their judgment is being formed from their experiences, so the distorted experience of being high will distort their judgment.

Yet we pump them full of a psychoactive drug--caffeine--in some cases daily.
    Yes indeed, almost everything in life comes with risks. Each of us has to do his own risk analysis to decide whether the positive result of the experience is worth the risk, and then do his own risk management. The results are not the same for everyone, and so neither is the proper course of risk management. Of course the government--the people who told us Saddam Hussein was responsible for 9/11 and who pay subsidies to corporate tobacco farms--is clearly not qualified to do risk analysis for us. Especially its trademark WalMart-style "one size fits all" risk management.

Nonetheless, children are not qualified to perform risk analysis or management for themselves or anyone else, which is why they are supposed to have parents who actively participate in their upbringing.
    No. But based on centuries of empirical observation, it is more benign than alcohol or nicotine, roughly on a par with caffeine. Caffeine is a major mental health problem for me, and I'm hardly alone.
    I didn't find that assertion in your link. Is the point that psychotic people are more creative than the rest of us? That would be easy to believe. I've known many people who were more creative when stoned, and were easily able to retain their revelations and exploit them later. That's one of the reasons pot is so popular among musicians.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

I'm sorry, I could find a link to an article about the connection between psychosis and creativity, but the link was actually about something slightly different.

8. Anarcho Union No Gods No Masters Registered Senior Member

Ive only read the title and I can tell you for a fact that pot ussage is not linked to psychosis

9. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

Well, your opinion means more than a scientific study, so...OK.

10. parmalee peripatetic artisan Valued Senior Member

except that's NOT what australian investigators reported--see post #17--and neither is the contention supported by any of the other work cited.

no one seems to be contesting that marijuana may exacerbate psychosis in those with an existing condition, but to suggest that marijuana use increases the risk in young adulthood is unsupported (and you will note, if you review the study itself, that the researchers agree).

as i noted, the writer of the article--and a few members here--seem to be conflating schizotypal attributes and psychosis, which is sheer nonsense! some with schizotypal attributes may experience psychotic episodes--either as consequence of bipolar, schizophrenia, epilepsy, or some other factor--but most do not; IOW schizotypy is "psychosis related," but it absolutely does not suggest or cause psychosis--see post #14.

did anyone here actually read the articles cited?

11. parmalee peripatetic artisan Valued Senior Member

and finally, an observation--though perhaps this might belong in "open government" or "site feedback": within a single thread, three moderators have either reiterated an unsubstantiated claim made by a popular science writer, but not the researchers themselves, and/or confused/conflated personality attributes for an "abnormal" state of "mind" and/or echoed a claim for which there is some substantiation, but this claim bears only a trifling resemblance to the claim in the OP. is that "scientific"?

12. Dredd Dredd Registered Senior Member

There is a link between living and dying
    a link between light and darkness
    a link between religion and science
    a link between two pieces of chain
    where that link between them breaks.

But the etiology of dementia does not have much
    to do with marijuana, other than the link.

13. Fraggle Rocker Staff Member

Sorry, I didn't mean to imply that I agree with that contention. My point is that there are already more than enough reasons not to let kids have drugs, yet people let kids have drugs anyway. The accretion of one more reason is not going to win this argument. There is quite a bit of irrationality on both sides.

14. Stoniphi obscurely fossiliferous Valued Senior Member

This really doesn't say much other than somebody figures there is a possibility of something being there that is not totally incredulous.

I think that much of the cynicism directed at such studies is this: a few years ago several politically motivated, very flawed "studies" were announced originating in New Zealand and Australia. These 'studies purported to show a causal link between cannabis usage and the development of schizophrenia. These studies were shown to be flawed and were dismissed by serious scientists.

A few years later, these flawed studies were gathered together, re - summed and re - presented by a group of conservative UK politicians looking to re - re - classify cannabis in Great Briton.

Now, any such study - especially one done down under - is going to be taken with much more than a grain of salt by anyone with a nodding familiarity with the topic.

Yes, schizophrenics and bipolar persons often self - medicate with cannabis, often before they are diagnosed.

15. parmalee peripatetic artisan Valued Senior Member

alright, i actually have little interest in this particular subject matter--i am more interested in the matter of moderators on a science forum being held accountable for the nonsense they spew.

fraggle has had the decency to clarify his position in the matter, but Hercules and Madant, well...

so Madant, which is it? were you in fact being willfully misleading here? or are you simply incapable of reading through a simple, mainstream news story and recognizing that what is stated initially does NOT follow from the study, or studies, linked?

and Hercules, what does the substantiated claim that you made have to do with the unsubstantiated claim made in the OP? i'm assuming there must be some relation, as you went on about how folks on the internet like to question such things, when in fact NO ONE was questioning the claim you made, but rather the unrelated claim of the OP? or are you too incapable of reading?

oh, and i am not so certain that "all" scientists/doctors are "very much aware of cause and effect."

Last edited: Apr 26, 2010
  16. madanthonywayne Morning in America Registered Senior Member

Nothing I said is not supported by the studies linked.
    I made no claim of a causal relationship between marijuana and psychosis. I simply pointed out the growing evidence of a link and some information regarding a plausible mechanism that might suggest that said link is not mere coincidence. However, as clearly stated in the information quoted in the OP:
    It should be noted that much of the research conducted to date does not allow for causal determinations. Ongoing research of varying designs will undoubtedly enlighten the field

So I don't know what the hell you're all worked up about.

And please refrain from personal attacks in future posts.

17. parmalee peripatetic artisan Valued Senior Member

uhh, have you read through the thread? sorry, but this:

is not supported by the study. IOW the australian investigators did NOT claim this. and neither do any of the other studies.

did you not claim, in post #12?

sorry, but the preceding is NOT supported. hence, it is "information."

likewise, "psychosis related" is NOT psychosis--and schizotypy is NOT schizophrenia nor psychosis.

is this really that hard to follow? have you read your own words?

p.s. i removed the "personal attack" from the preceding post. my apologies.

Last edited: Apr 26, 2010
  18. madanthonywayne Morning in America Registered Senior Member

I said nothing I said was not supported by the linked material. The above quote is from one of the articles I linked to. I didn't write it. Go bitch to Charles Bankhead if you like.

I don't recall us setting the standard that one must vouch for the accuracy of every statement made in any article one quotes. The linked articles are a starting point for a discussion and are representative of how the subject is being presented in the general press.

19. sly1 Heartless Registered Senior Member

Honestly marijuana use is so common you could probably do a study and link it to every damn problem in the freakin world. This shit is getting old.

Marijuana is about as harmfull as the air we breathe today. If these scientists tried hard enough I bet they could find a link between breathing California air and road rage.....

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

20. John99 Banned Banned

:facepalm: