Man suffocates to death in his sleep because his nose was blocked

Discussion in 'The Cesspool' started by SarahEllard, Aug 29, 2023.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SarahEllard Registered Member

https://www.thefreelibrary.com/DIY snoring cure killed man of 26; Tampons put up nose.-a061333426

Before anyone says ''he died because he put tampons up his nose, therefore, having a blocked nose isn't dangerous!''

Irrelevant. A blocked nose is a blocked nose. Doesn't matter what causes it, whether it be tampons, a deviated septum, broken nose, nasal polyps, allergies, or a bad cold. It's like saying that because a person died from being ran over by a Toyota, that means being ran over by a Ford is harmless.

The end result is the same - you can't breathe through your nose. The relevant part is that the guy in the article suffocated because he was unable to breathe through his nose.

2. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. origin Heading towards oblivion Valued Senior Member

You must live in fear for your life every time you get a stuffy nose.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

4. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. SarahEllard Registered Member

I stayed up for 7 days straight once when I had a bad cold. It's doable, and completely normal. I mostly watch lots of movies and drink caffeine to pass the time until my nose clears up and then I sleep.

6. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. DaveC426913 Valued Senior Member

*sigh*

No, the relevant part in this article is that he did it to stop his snoring.

Sleep apnea is a thing. People die from it. It is not because their mouths stay closed, it is because their throats close up. That's what causes snoring. And it happens as easily with a blocked nose as a clear nose. Because it happens in the throat.

1. He didn't treat the apnea - the cause of the suffocating.

2. "... had drunk wine and taken sleeping tablets..." Well there's a recipe for death...

It is extremely unhealthy and dangerous.

Sleep deprivation for that long can cause brain damage. It can also lead to heart problems.
    And it sure interferes with your body's ability to fight a cold.

But you certainly weren't awake for seven days straight. And certainly not without help. By day four you were blacking out with your eyes open.

Next time, lie on your side. You should be fine.

Last edited: Aug 29, 2023
    exchemist likes this.
  8. exchemist Valued Senior Member

So you are Clara1995, eh? https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=7392258

R
    eminds me of Gaiagirl95.

Alcohol, sleeping pills and chronically obstructed breathing, PLUS a tampon up both nostrils, combined to cause this idiot’s death, in this story from nearly 30 years ago.

But not as funny as the man strangled by his own thymus gland, which you previously posted.

9. SarahEllard Registered Member

He developed snoring as a result of a nose injury. There's a difference between sleep apnea and snoring. Sleep apnea is a lot rarer than snoring is.

10. DaveC426913 Valued Senior Member

No one dies of a blocked nose. That's a conclusion of yours to support your beliefs.

He died by suffocation, after failing to cope with a debilitating case of snoring. Snoring happens in the throat.

He "... had drunk wine and taken sleeping tablets..." A really good recipe for dying in one's sleep.

11. SarahEllard Registered Member

He died of suffocation because he couldn't breathe through his nose as he slept.

He had issues with snoring for a while, but just coincidentally happens to die of a blocked throat the very night he has a blocked nose? I'm not convinced.

12. DaveC426913 Valued Senior Member

"Omg not this again, I remember how long this went on for last time...
    "Not this crap again, you have a serious fetish for blocked noses and suffocation, yes?"
    "Seriously? This again?"
    "You think this is a worldwide conspiracy?"
    "Not this again."
    "Why are people engaging with OP lol?? She's as stubborn as a mule and a hairy troll too so you're wasting your breath and your finger typing energy."
    https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=7392258

13. DaveC426913 Valued Senior Member

That is a conclusion of yours, to support your unevidenced belief.

No, he's always had a blocked nose.

He died the night he treated it with alcohol and sleeping pills.

14. SarahEllard Registered Member

That is the conclusion of the newspaper and the coroner.

15. DaveC426913 Valued Senior Member

No it isn't.

The articles mentions nothing about a blocked nose at all. It says he was treating his snoring.
    The article does mention alcohol and sleeping pills.

16. SarahEllard Registered Member

He suffocated because he had tampons in his nostrils.

He suffocated because he could not breathe through his nose (since he had tampons in his nostrils).

I am not sure why this is so difficult for you to understand?

17. DaveC426913 Valued Senior Member

He suffocated because
    - his breathing was obstructed (which happens all the time), but
    (and take note of this next part)
    - he did not wake up (which is unusual).

The reason he did not wake up is because he had depressed his system with a lethal combination of alcohol and sleeping pills.

It is nothing more than a pet idea of yours that one can suffocate from a blocked nose. There is zero evidence of it. The one article you have been able to find is about a man dying when he combined alcohol and sleeping pills - a known and not-uncommon cause of death. Whereas there is a thousand years of evidence of people having colds, getting blocked noses and surviving just fine.

You have zero evidence in support of your claim and plenty of evidence against it.

18. SarahEllard Registered Member

So, a person must be awake to mouth-breathe?

That was already my point.

19. exchemist Valued Senior Member

Wrong. He had to wake up for his obstructed THROAT to re-open. Obstructive sleep apnoea is a well-known condition in which the upper airway in the throat collapses when muscle tone is reduced during sleep. It has bugger all to do with the nose.https://cks.nice.org.uk/topics/obstructive-sleep-apnoea-syndrome/

Booze and sleeping pills would make it harder to wake up enough to reopen the airway.

20. exchemist Valued Senior Member

That would be because it is garbage.

21. exchemist Valued Senior Member

This shit is also all over reddit, apparently.

22. DaveC426913 Valued Senior Member

Good Lord, you have trouble with reading comprehension and analysis. You are confused. Your conclusions do not follow from the premises. You need to stop.

23. SarahEllard Registered Member

The articles said his DIY snoring cure (blocking his nose with tampons) is what killed him. Not sleep apnea.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.