Male baldness

Discussion in 'Biology & Genetics' started by timojin, Jun 13, 2015.

?

why some male have a bald region on the top of the head and some male do not

1. genetic

3 vote(s)
    75.0%
  2. environmental

1 vote(s)
    25.0%
  1. timojin Valued Senior Member

Male head baldness could be related to an early primitive stock

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Dinosaur Rational Skeptic Valued Senior Member

Most (much/all?) Baldness is a sex-linked recessive genetic trait carried on the x chromosome. Males have an x & y, while females have 2 x chromosomes. A male cannot inherit the gene from his father.

A female will always inherit the gene from her father. A daughter of a bald father will not be bald unless she inherits a second gene from her mother: This is a 50-50 chance if the mother is not bald.

I think there are some rare abnormal genetic situations not implied by or included in the above, which provides all the necessary data for analyzing inheritance of the most common types of baldness.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. timojin Valued Senior Member

Please correct me >
    Y chromosome is passed only from the father .
    In my amateur observation I don't see female bald as males
    I have not noted many American natives at age around 50 to 60 be bald . Correct me again if you have observed otherwise.
    As to me , the kind of baldness, ( mainly on the Parietal of the scull ) is specific to some segment of the male population .
    I suspect it can be identity of some specific stock of early men.
    If there is some work done in the past I like to see some post .

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Dinosaur Rational Skeptic Valued Senior Member

Female has xx chromosomes; Male has xy.

The gene responsible for most (all?) baldness is carried on an x chromosome & is recessive. Father cannot pass this gene to a son.

If male inherits baldness gene from mother, he becomes bald: There is no gene on the y chromosome to counteract the gene on the x chromosome.

To be bald, a female must have the gene on both chromosomes.

A bald father passes the gene to his daughters. Due to its being recessive, a daughter will not be bald unless she inherits another baldness gene from the mother. This gene must come from the maternal grandfather.

The above provides all the data to analyze inheritance of the most common (only?) type of baldness.

8. timojin Valued Senior Member

9. timojin Valued Senior Member

Well you might be right , as far publication I definitively would like to see a lead to it
    In my daily life observation I see male been bald and not female , and since male passes its Y chromosome to its son, to me it would logically to think the Y chromosome would have
    characteristics of a male . This is my layman's view.
    I am very interested to see data to change my position.

10. Dinosaur Rational Skeptic Valued Senior Member

TimOjin: The information in my Post #4 is common knowledge to anyone who took a high school course in biology.

From http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2005/05/050520172151.htm
    The above relates to the most common type of baldness.

I have read that male baldness can be inherited from the father, but this is uncommon (I think it is rare).

Fo your convenience, the following is from my Post #4
    There are environmental factors which can cause baldness, usually disease: Such causes are less common than genetic causes.

11. timojin Valued Senior Member

12. timojin Valued Senior Member

It is an interesting article , thank you.

Here is a part of the article that gives room for other conclusion to be drawn.
    "The findings are also interesting for the aspect of how hair loss is inherited. The gene for the androgen receptor lies on the x chromosome. Men always inherit the x chromosome from their mother. In many cases men therefore take after their grandfather on their mother's side rather than their father. However, this defect is not simply caused by one gene: "We have indications that other genes are involved which are independent of the parents' sex," Prof. Nöthen stresses. The hereditary defect can therefore sometimes also be passed on directly from father to son. Bald men wanted"

This work was done in 2005 which is great. I searched for newer articles to follow up this work , unfortunately so far I did not find.

13. timojin Valued Senior Member

Is male baldness common among Chinese stock, I mean crown baldness.

14. Jake Arave Ethologist Registered Senior Member

This is actually a good question. Androgenetic alopecia (Pattern Baldness) is extremely prevalent in the general population of Asia - there is an estimated genetic incidence rating of approx. 73% amongst the GP. Although the prevalence of hair loss in Asian population groupings is relatively similar in scope to that of Western Europe, the onset of symptoms (shortening/thinning of hair) is typically ~10 years delayed. There is some minor scientific research that has found a correlation between smoking tobacco and the onset of hair loss in genetically affected individuals (usually presenting with androgen dependence) this isn't always the case, though. Trichotillomania is a common cause of hair loss in people younger than 40 years old, trichotillomania is described mostly as a nervous 'tick' (associated with anxiety disorders) - patients with trichotillomania present with habitual pulling of hair until the hair is completely removed.

Sorry for the scatter-brained response, I wasn't really feeling up for structuring the information with a way that possibly makes more sense.

Here's a paper that you might find personally useful:
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3412231/

15. sculptor Valued Senior Member

http://ghr.nlm.nih.gov/condition/androgenetic-alopecia