Maldive Marriage. Seriously weird!

Discussion in 'Free Thoughts' started by Captain Kremmen, Oct 28, 2010.

1. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

They wouldn't be the first. Bottomline, caveat emptor

Hopefully, one realises that a single spoofy celebrant is not representative of the Maldives.

2. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Captain Kremmen All aboard, me Hearties! Valued Senior Member

You say that like it's a bad thing.

4. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Bells Staff Member

Well apparently it's only a bad thing if you can understand it. If you can't, it's apparently okay!

6. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

Thats the general rule of comprehension. In one of the books I read, a Lakota woman named a white man as Maka Wichasha which made him feel very good and privileged to own a Lakota name, until he got it translated. It was Skunk man, for his body odor.

8. Captain Kremmen All aboard, me Hearties! Valued Senior Member

Can we infer from your remark that they do this all over Asia?
    And that it is common practise?

When you are in a restaurant in India, will the waiter be calling you a swine and wishing you to have spotty children as he serves you?
    Can you sort of expect that?
    Do you only leave a tip if he has been up to standard with his insults?

I thought the French were rude, but this is a whole new level of obnoxiousness.

9. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

I think its pretty generic and global to use crudity against those who don't understand your language. Its one of the oldest forms of passive aggressive behaviour.

10. Captain Kremmen All aboard, me Hearties! Valued Senior Member

Yes, but not for an hour.
    Don't you think it's a little bit excessive?

If I meet a French person, I practise my French on them.

Pourquoi n'avez vous pas la plume de ma tante.
    Est-ce-que le chien est dans le jardin?
    Non. Quelle domage!

11. Ripley Valued Senior Member

So apparently hypocrisy, insincerity, duplicity, lip service, sham holiness, slyness, double-crossing, exploitation, debasement, vulgarity, discourtesy, prejudice, etc., etc., all shrouded behind homegrown hospitality and rural dignity, is simply classified as "passive aggressiveness".

How unusually prudish the response to such an exposure.

12. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

The words that come to mind are "much ado about nothing". Its one person's bad experience at a tourist resort. If you've travelled as much as I have, you'd realise that this kind of situation is easily avoided by using common sense. People seem to spend more time choosing vegetables for dinner than planning a wedding.

13. Captain Kremmen All aboard, me Hearties! Valued Senior Member

If it is a non representative bunch of nasty youths exploiting and insulting people that they resent because they are richer than themselves, then that is a whole lot different from it being a common practise.

If it was a common practise, it would make me avoid that country, whatever the scenery looked like.
    You did say that you thought it was fairly normal, but perhaps you meant behaviour which is far less malicious than this.

It is not much ado about nothing.
    Good people, unfortunately not all people, visit other countries in good faith to experience local cultures and befriend local people.
    The local's behaviour was inexcusable.

If the tourists had come to exploit the local people, then they would have deserved what they got.
    But this couple were only enjoying themselves, and by doing so preserving life on the Islands for as long as it can last.

Last edited: Nov 3, 2010
  14. Pinwheel Banned Banned

I like it!

15. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

A lot of assumptions here. As far as both parties were concerned it was a great wedding, so memorable that the couple made a video and put it on youtube. Who knows what the motivations of the so-called celebrant were? Perhaps they felt secure in doing what they did because they assumed they would never be found out.

The way I see it, no one died, no one was injured or abused. All we have is the implication of malice which only came to light after the fact. But then, thats one of the chances you take when you trust some stranger in a foreign country where you don't even speak the language. Its not like the Maldives is some mutant location where there are only perfect people.

16. Captain Kremmen All aboard, me Hearties! Valued Senior Member

Yes, but is it a common practise in the Maldives, and perhaps as you suggest, the whole of the subcontinent, or is it a rare practise indulged in by people with some personal grudge against visitors?

If it is some aberrant behaviour by a few arseholes, then I would consider spending money in India. Otherwise I wouldn't go there.
    I was considering a holiday in India.
    This event has made me wary of the Maldives, and what you are saying is making me wary of going anywhere in India.

Last edited: Nov 3, 2010
  17. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

Frankly I don't know anyone who gets married in foreign countries where neither half of the couple knows the language. But that is obviously a niche that is just made for exploitation. No doubt they paid hefty sums of money - its the kind of thing which our god men and those who promise hashish dreams and "unique" ethnic experiences live by. Is it common? I doubt it since its obviously unique enough to make the news.

18. Captain Kremmen All aboard, me Hearties! Valued Senior Member

Yes, but would it just be people indulging in some marriage ceremony who would be mocked in India, or would it be anyone who doesn't understand the language.
    Is mockery of people in a language they don't understand something people would naturally do, or something they would only use against people who had annoyed them?

19. Pinwheel Banned Banned

I know loads, they combine a holiday with a wedding. I dont know anyone that went for huge sums of money for an "ethnic" experiance though, that sounds stupid.

20. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

They get married in a ceremony where neither of them speak the language? And this is a binding legal ceremony? I guess there is plenty of stupid to go around.

A thought just occurred to me. How do we know that this story is true? Does anyone speak the language of the Maldives?

21. Pinwheel Banned Banned

Oh right I misread that, no the ceremony would be in English. Yeah i dont know anyone getting married in a foreign language completely. As for legally binding, I didnt think any ceremony was legally binding? Isnt uit just a ritual. You still have to register, or is that just a UK thing.

22. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

So its just a bit of frippery? They are not legally married? Well I guess that makes more sense, its just a kind of holiday gobbledygook

23. Bells Staff Member

Again..

The couple were not the ones who put this on youtube. The hotel staff who attended the wedding were the ones who put it on youtube.

The article I linked earlier and the comments of Maldivians who commented on the article were quite disgusted. But one individual pointed out something quite interesting. The lack of reaction by most of the staff at the wedding, as if they were used to this or had experienced it before. I mean, imagine if this was the first time, I'd hazard a guess that there would be quite a bit of snorting of laughter or indication of extreme amusement as he was doing it to that couple. But there was very little if any.

I mean its like going to a restaurant and enjoying a meal and then finding out that the wait staff had smeared your soup plate with their shit.. Would you say 'as far as the meal was concerned, it was a great meal' and that it only became an issue after you find out about it?

But they were found out. The article also stated that the hotel found out well before it hit youtube and suspended the supposed celebrant and left it at that. They then fired him and another staff member who uploaded it on youtube. They then had to be pressured by the Government to refund the couple their money and apologise. I find that atrocious service.

I'm sorry?

Taking what?.. $1400 or so from a couple for just the service.. calling them mother fuckers and accusing them of having sex with animals, along with other choice terms over the course of an hour and then without the consent of the couple, posting it on youtube with translation.. you don't think that couple was abused?

The Maldives and this hotel in particular advertise their wares overseas as an ideal destination for weddings and holidays and especially honeymoons. Now you are saying that if you can't speak the language, you should just avoid going to a country altogether, because well, you just can't trust anyone who's not just like you and speaks just like you do. In short, you are in effect saying 'just stay the hell home and never ever mix with anyone who doesn't speak your language'.

The ceremony, filming it and then uploading it on youtube (with the translation) was malicious in the extreme. There is no implication of malice here. The malice is explicit and intentional.