making a real lightsaber.

Discussion in 'General Science & Technology' started by EmptyForceOfChi, Jan 23, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. EmptyForceOfChi Banned Banned

would it be possible to use a controlled elecric current, and magnets to propell and keep the electric line outwards keeping it from earthing in something?.

or a kind of super high powered blowtourch cutter with a meter long stream, or a plasma blowtourch type saber?

peace.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. wesmorris Nerd Overlord - we(s):1 of N Valued Senior Member

you couldn't exactly fight with it like swords in either case could you? the beams would just go right through each other...

besides that, I'd think there's a possibility of the plasma thing, but a fuel source would be kind of uhm.. cumbersome?

hell I dunno.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. EmptyForceOfChi Banned Banned

what if you made a posativ ended saber and a posative ended saber, or vice versa
    as the magnetic field would be amplified by the electricity they would repell and parry strikes no?

peace

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. wesmorris Nerd Overlord - we(s):1 of N Valued Senior Member

hehe, or make it so you can switch polarities and suck the other dude's sword to your own..

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

8. EmptyForceOfChi Banned Banned

ha

seriously what do you think sbout the magnetic repel idea though would it work is anyone brave enough to make one out of high powered tasers and strong magnets?, who has enough knowledge to draw up the plans? i will e
    attempt to build it if someone who knows what there talking about can draw up plans.

peace,

9. Hukka4Life Registered Senior Member

Sounds dangerous. Waiver of liability?

10. Roman Banned Banned

With a magnetic field strong enough to contain plasma, you'd have a serious problem with anything ferrous near by.

11. cato less hate, more science Registered Senior Member

basically, you can't. the amount of power required is an unsurmountable obstacle. you simply can't get that much energy into a container smaller than a pop bottle and have it last more than a few seconds.

12. wesmorris Nerd Overlord - we(s):1 of N Valued Senior Member

hehe, oh yeah that's a great point.

13. EmptyForceOfChi Banned Banned

what if there was a backpack and waist pack, that helped contain the energy cells, with a small fiberoptic rubber coated wire linking to the bottom base of the lightsaber.

?

14. EmptyForceOfChi Banned Banned

use an alternative to plasma?

15. Hapsburg Hellenistic polytheist Valued Senior Member

Just shoot the opponent in the head with a gun. Faster, quicker, cleaner, funner. Also less dangerous to yourself, as long as you know which end of the gun in the barrel.
    Always bring a gun to a knife/sword fight.

16. EmptyForceOfChi Banned Banned

it might not be for killing people, i might want to catch a fish with it,,,,

peace

17. Hapsburg Hellenistic polytheist Valued Senior Member

Then shoot the fish. Much more challenge anyway.

18. Thor "Pfft, Rebel scum!" Valued Senior Member

You can do what some kids in the states did. Get a flurescent light tube, fill it with petrol and set it alight.

I still laugh at that story! Those tubes make a stupendous smash even if you drop it from 5cm, what were they thinking when they decided to set it alight from the inside!!!

19. domesticated om Stickler for details Valued Senior Member

Assumuning you wanted to make a light saber, you would have to use light wouldn't ya? If you use anything to make the blade other than light (IE- something that just happens to glow brightly like a giant blowtorch) then it isn't technically a light saber.

So..... assuming the blade is made completely from light, there's the first problem.....How are you going to make the light terminate at 3 or 4 feet? The only thing close to a star wars styled light saber that exists is a flashlight/lazer beam, but the beam projected from it doesn't stop in midar-- it just keeps going and going.
    Even if you made a little super strong fiber optic line running from the hilt, there would be no way to keep the light projected from the line from projecting omni-directionally into infinity.

Last edited: Jan 23, 2006
  20. EmptyForceOfChi Banned Banned

ok the name lightsaber was wrong, its my fault, for just wanting one because they look good, but the science behinnd the energy saber could be possible with elecricity and megnets no?

peace,

21. spuriousmonkey Banned Banned

Let's use a mirror.

How much light would you need to do some serious damage though? Industrial laser? A 'star wars' laser (not the real starwars, but the one proposed in the Reagan era to keep out the commies)?

If you have mirrors on both sides you just have to make a laser beam of a meter or so. How much energy do you need for that?

What kind of mirrors do we need? Invisible, not made out of matter, controllable.

What happens when you cross a light saber with another one. I guess nothing.

Or what if a lightsaber is just a laser beam surrounded entirely by a flexible mirror. This mirror prevents another beam of light going through it. Hence another lightsaber will be stopped by it.

Oh man, what a bunch of bullshit I just wrote.

22. Light Registered Senior Member

No. Even if it looks good, it's just pure imagination, a fantasy from the mind of a sci-fi writer.

23. EmptyForceOfChi Banned Banned

imagination spawns creation, if you told somebody 200 years ago that you can fly to the moon in the next centuary or 2, it would be seen as madness and a dream,

im not saying i can make one etc, but to me it dosent seemtoo out there its just about energy manipulation storage and output,

maybe there will be a saber looking weapon in the near future,

could you tell me the drawbacls to making one then out of electricity and magnets and why it wont work,

peace,

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.