Mac OS X 10.4?

Discussion in 'Computer Science & Culture' started by cotton, Apr 11, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cotton Resident Pirate Registered Senior Member

Somebody told me that tiger is only going to work for computers with G5 processors. Is this true?

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Jinoda Registered Senior Member

From what I've heard, Tiger works fine on Mac's with g4's and such.

I don't know for sure where to hear the official word, but I see on here: http://www.macosx.com/forums/showthread.php?t=50470&page=1&pp=15 that a lot of people have it working great on older machines (I thought Tiger wasn't yet released, but hey, these guys are playing with it apparently).

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Aborted_Fetus Bored Registered Senior Member

Well, there will probably be a 64-bit version for the new G5s, but I'm sure they will make a version compatible with G4s, if not, they are cutting a large percentage of possible sales. This would not make very much sense, so I don't think you have much to worry about.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. river-wind Valued Senior Member

Tiger runs on G4's and G5's. Many of the underlying system code checks for processor types, and then run slightly different versions depending on what the machine type is.

But all that goes on behind the scenes.

This has actually been how OSX has handled the bit-difference between the G4 and G5 since the days of 10.2.8 (the only OS X version with a seperate G4 and G5 versions).

edit: oops, I see now that this is an old thread.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.