Love

Discussion in 'Human Science' started by caffeine_fubar, Sep 28, 2004.

1. Fenris Wolf Banned Banned

I'm afraid that even if you were to do so, you don't quite have the... calibre, I prefer.
    But chin up. There are plenty of others in your league.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Dr Lou Natic Unnecessary Surgeon Registered Senior Member

Did you unzip your gimp mask before saying that?
    You're full of shit anyway.
    You'd be so ready to learn from the animal kingdom if I was louise.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. water the sea Registered Senior Member

Okay.

LOVE.

ROMANTIC love.
    BROTHERLY love.
    PATERNAL love.
    FILIAL love.
    Love OF ANIMALS.
    Love OF DISCUSSION.
    Love OF APPLES.
    Love OF LIFE.

All these kinds of love aren't one and the same thing!
    Love is a relational concept and the attribute in front of it determines its content.

What has been discussed most in this thread is ROMANTIC LOVE and so far, nobody made the practical distinction between INAFATUATION and LOVE.

Infatuation is the love-like relation an idealized self has for an idealized other; this is the relation you have in mind when you talk about "being half of a whole and therefore needing the other to make one whole". Yes, an infatuation is usually bound to fail, as it exists between two idealized versions of selves, not the real selves.

Love is the relation of deep affection between two selves who view eachother as non-idealized.

In this regard, infatuation is indeed something not to strive for, but love is certainly a very, very important emotion.

This is a totalitarian individualism that supposes that one is one's own creator and reason to live.
    I hope you see that to think that one put oneself into this world for one's own purposes is ... too much of a stretch, to say the least.

Like I said: we can use novel metaphors -- but we are still using language, and thus whatever we *say* bears the stamp of being common.

It relates to it inasmuch that I defend the stance that love is the specialness-maker and the maker of personal identity. (Yes, try to raise a child with minimum emotional affection: Hitler's Lebensborn. They all died.)

I state that identity exists only in relation to another identity; depending on the quality of this relation is the sense of this identity.

As such, logically, disregarding the quality of the relation to others, nothing is unique, or it is so unique that it becomes lost in its complete unrelatedness.

*That* I love someone makes this person special and unique *to me*. How I love them, what the quality of that relation is (whether it is love or infatuation), is decisive to how I perceive my own identity and their identity (idealized or non-idealized).

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Xev Registered Senior Member

Fenris:
    Doi. You missed the significance - it means I am the spice queen!
    I occasionally wonder whether chicky is replying to a thread of mine. It's easy to see member actions and frequency - I think even the ordinary users can do that.

Mu'dib!

No, preferring "Spanking stories of the Bourgainvillia Convent" and "Gom Jabbar for Dummies"

Yup, but all three treat.

Perhaps. I myself rarely post in religion, save to mock. It does not concern me.

I'll give you the advice I gave Wanderer, albeit on a different subject - if it does you no harm, why condemn it so vociferously?
    I personally think it's rather a dumb thing to dress up like Winnie the Pooh and fuck your second cousin while smearing her body with green jello and singing covers of Led Zepplin songs, but as long as nobody does that in public - who cares?

Okay, so people love in public. Yeah, it's gross. But that's the second thing I told Wanderer - "Quit obsessing about what other people do and wear, you oversocial freak!"
    You can't play being above others if you're so goddamned fascinated with how they act.

If you excuse me, I'm off to work - the data analysis must flow!!

8. Arditezza Banned Banned

It's one thread discussing love Xev.

Let's clear up your misconception now, shall we?

I am the sole breadwinner of my family of four. My husband stays home to raise the children, and I work. We made this decision because I am able to make considerably more money than he can, so it was the obvious choice. He is also a more adept caregiver than I am, and I am the more disciplinarian of the two of us. I don't drive a minivan, I don't go to soccer games, and I don't spend my time at the hair salon or at the magazine rack filling up on Redbook, Ms. and Vogue. At work, I am the manager of six tech geeks, and I am on a team of three highly skilled network administrators. I am in charge of 28 servers, 4 data centers and making sure that my tech guys are taking care of the 800 people we service on a daily basis. I have been honoured by my peers with awards, and am highly regarded by the men and women in the fishbowl we call the executive offices. I am on call 24/7. I carry two pagers, and cell phone at all time because I am the more responsible of the three of us and therefore am the one chosen to cover the time. I am proud of all this, as I have worked hard. I own one skirt, and two dresses. I own one pair of flats. I am not the epitome of motherhood and femininity, nor do I want to be. My children are well dressed, and well mannered. I attribute this to my husband, because he has raised them well. I make as much time for them as possible, but I do miss too much. This is my first vacation in two years, and it's because three and a half weeks ago, I had open heart surgery to repair a defect. That is why I've had a lot of time to post lately.

I'm tired of your stupid insults, that make no sense and are completely off base. I'm tired of some stupid little bitch trying to judge me, from her sheltered little world where there is little responsibility and nice little perks. Someone who lashes out at everyone, to make up and cover up for her own inadequecies and inferiority. I am tired of the spoiled little girl, that is so angry at the world because it encroaches on her precious little dreamworld of what she believe to be, because she read it in some book. Xev, you are intelligent, but you are a social moron. You do not know people, and you are a very poor judge of character. You are mean, just to be mean and then use the tired old excuse of "If you don't like it, then it's your fault for being thin-skinned.". Which hurts some people, and you relish the thought of hurting others. It's fun for you, as you've pointed out. You can't have a conversation without insulting somene else, or pointing out your percieved flaws of them. Internet forum or not, that's your sickness. You can only dream of being as smart as Gendanken is, with all her social skills. You can only dream of comprehending what she can. You think you are both so alike, but your head is not reality based, and hers very much is. That is the difference, and what makes her respected, and you just a figment of your own imagination.

9. water the sea Registered Senior Member

This:

is something to work with.

Why this aversion for the "common"?
    Why the desperate search for the "special"?

Methinks that the whole problem lies in how the "common" and the "special" are conceptualized.

10. Dr Lou Natic Unnecessary Surgeon Registered Senior Member

Even fecal ingestion has its fanciers. You look closer and you see they're toothless jim, crusty rusty, asthmatic melloy, creepy earl, etc, the activity is endorsed by freaks. It might be accurate to say its respected, but respected by whom? And what is their opinion worth?

11. gendanken Ruler of All the Lands Valued Senior Member

Classic.

I've been dragging this shitty thread around for- what, a month?- knowing the content would attract 3 certain species or people.
    Only one showed up in the third page.

Guess who??!!

Xev:
    Hilla!
    You still don't get it do you?

This is the part where you will tell me about warfare, death and progeny.

Ooohhh.

I mean really, me saying this:

"And how would you value integrity in comparison?
    Respect?
    Commitment?"

of all things should have given it away, but No!
    You, that antisocial, war enamored creature with her 12 posts per day and an ICQ splayed out like free pussy at one point was just a little too transfixed with the content put in here just for your kind.
    Hence your initial reply.
    And you still don't get it!

See the fun?
    And I know way too about you for that slogan to even fit- quit trying to be something you're not.
    One down, two to go.

Fenris:
    HA!

Having fun?
    This is perhaps the forum's biggest ass penny.
    Printing it out as we speak.

Dr. Lou:
    Edit- misread your tripe.
    Thought you meant in defense of Xevie.

Anyway- analysis of why we come here has already been covered- this self professed 'beautiful ice cold- woman' is simple grasping on chicky’s part.
    History is incredibly useful, I should know.

Now go post elsewhere, we’re bashing love and they’re swarming:

http://sciforums.com/showthread.php?t=41404:

Rosa:
    All forms that should be butchered and dragged through a Manchurian incident, or thrown whole into a blender with furry pink bunnies for women to slurp on their lunchbreak.

And I quote

"Bah humbug"

12. invert_nexus Ze do caixao Valued Senior Member

My what an interesting turn a boring thread has taken. The duel of the century is about to form before our eyes, is it? Should be fun to watch. I'm a voyeur too, you know.

Then you don't know the Gend too well. Do you?

Wow, Lou. You're my hero. You're like that really smart investigator and stuff. I mean look how you found out this dastardly secret plot right in your own back yard. Next you'll move on the FBI and start weeding out terrorist plots.

Oh...Wait...It wasn't exactly secret. Now was it. Do you know what a secret is?

What's the matter? Jealous that you can't voyeur those conversations from the shadows as well? Don't worry, you'd be just as bored as you are in the threads in which we partake. I'd call them discussions more than socializations. I won't deny that some socialization goes on, but the point is moot as this thread is not about socializing... it's about love.

And yes. Fenris is right. Your point has already been made elsewhere. And you'll never guess by who.

Interesting strategy. Yet not original. Xev already used it and now you just imitated her. Does that make you her he-bitch? We'll never know since she's one of the hidden. And, yes, Dr. Lou. I've seen you using the private messenger service as well.

Gendanken can take care of herself as you well know.

I just hate it when she puts us in the bag together with the cats. Gets rather confined in there. And the Wolf tends to fart when beaten. He always blames it on the cats though.

And this from a front to backer/stander-upper. You wipe like a girl.

13. gendanken Ruler of All the Lands Valued Senior Member

Irresistable.

Rrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrright.

Anyway,
    Invert, you've stuck your neck out on this one. Dr. Lou is fearsome.

14. TruthSeeker Fancy Virtual Reality Monkey Valued Senior Member

So much for interdependance........ :m:

15. water the sea Registered Senior Member

John Donne:

THE GOOD-MORROW.

I WONDER by my troth, what thou and I
    Did, till we loved ? were we not wean'd till then ?
    But suck'd on country pleasures, childishly ?
    Or snorted we in the Seven Sleepers' den ?
    'Twas so ; but this, all pleasures fancies be ;
    If ever any beauty I did see,
    Which I desired, and got, 'twas but a dream of thee.

And now good-morrow to our waking souls,
    Which watch not one another out of fear ;
    For love all love of other sights controls,
    And makes one little room an everywhere.
    Let sea-discoverers to new worlds have gone ;
    Let maps to other, worlds on worlds have shown ;
    Let us possess one world ; each hath one, and is one.

My face in thine eye, thine in mine appears,
    And true plain hearts do in the faces rest ;
    Where can we find two better hemispheres
    Without sharp north, without declining west ?
    Whatever dies, was not mix'd equally ;
    If our two loves be one, or thou and I
    Love so alike that none can slacken, none can die.

Of course, some will call Donne a ninny.

16. invert_nexus Ze do caixao Valued Senior Member

Gendanken,

I know. He has me trembling.

But, my Queen, you've trained me only with cats and Wolf farts. I feel that the good doctor is the closest analog to my methods of training. Don't you?

17. Xev Registered Senior Member

gendanken:
    No, I've said it before. I do not post to masturbate - I can masterbate to masterbate.

I have a kind?
    Morbid wage-slaves with a starting migrane?
    I feel so loved.

'Free pussy'.
    Didn't you say that before?
    Bring up the bathroom walls thing again. Can't you see I'm all tired from giving head for quick cash?

But who is called "Queen" and relishes the title?

Dr Lou Natic, Lucysnow, Fenris Wolf, Invert Nexus, RosaMagika - these are usernames to me, not actual people.
    You can talk to them like actual people, like they give a shit - like you can spill your life to them - and they will care. You like their validation, you tell them personal things, which I'd never say to a username - but you do.

I've honestly discussed aspects of my actual life with maybe one person here. You can say the same?

I am - what, tell me? I have a high post count? I have an icq number, which I put up so I would not forget?

Antisocial? The title occasionally fits. War-enamored? Also occasionally fits.
    I occasionally use what occasionally fits.
    Your point is...?

Perchance because I don't - care.

I am sure you know much about many of sciforums' denizens, considering the frequency with which you private message them.
    But we are not intimate.

Arditezza:
    Ahem.
    I'm glad you're the uber-fraulein, but my point stands.
    You, with a husband and children, are no person to judge those dependant on the love of others.

Oh and yes, Arditezza, I am terribly jealous of Gendanken's social skills. She's so very good at chatting with people, gaining their respect, getting them to like her -- I wish I could be just like her.

Last edited: Oct 10, 2004
  18. water the sea Registered Senior Member

A role, a part in a film or a play -- a username. You view online communication to be the same as it is between roles in a film or a play?

19. Xev Registered Senior Member

RosaMagika:
    I've never thought about it that way.
    Yes...it could be, but that depends on the user. Some might reply as they would to any social setting, others have an image or a persona they play, an exaggeration of their natural self.

There's a person behind the username - that I understand - and I understand that username a and username b can find common ground, even to the extent of going beyond the anonymity.

The abstract medium actually has a benefit over the traditional social. I can type while brushing my teeth, or curling my hair, or whatever. I can get to the bottom of what's interesting faster, rather than being bogged down - as so often happens in social settings - by silly stuff like clothing or chitchat. So it can be more idea based, more creative, and I obviously enjoy it.

Nor is there anything wrong with preferring it, embracing it. Arditezza's right in saying I lack social skills. Things like body language, tone, gossip, tend to bore me - I am not sure whether I'd call myself inept at them, or simply non-responsive. I can be charming, entertaining, funny - but there is something lacking in my desire. I'm flat under that skill - for it is a skill, and not (as it is for people who are actually good people) something that came from the heart.
    Online...I can be charming, but even less so than in my actual environment.
    The little intimacies gendanken can exchange with others, I rarely do, I am too much of a puritan. A spark fails, and I cannot be like one of the popular posters - gendanken or Wanderer or you - because of it.

What I object to is the hypocrisy - which I've been guilty of - of placing yourself in a priveledged relation to the social while on the internet. Idea-based or not, this is only a form of the social.

20. Dr Lou Natic Unnecessary Surgeon Registered Senior Member

I know she's prone to wrecklessness. I've seen her defeat herself.
    Frankly, I don't think she'll come out on top of this one.
    I tell you what, if it ends in a draw I'll be mightily pissed. If xev and gendanken reach a gay agreement I'll be fucking outraged. Previous light scuffles between the pair have ended that way, and its always torn me up inside.

Secret or not, its worthy of reiteration. It should be made clear that this isn't something gendanken can just brush aside. She associates with you- that's a massive handicap in any form of combat where maintenance of dignity is of pivotal importance. She's limping to this fight, her gameness is admirable, but will surely be her downfall.

Fascinating, please tell me more.

My point?
    I've merely come in here to address the significance of what is going down. Its the classic lion vs tiger fight.
    I've made a few comments of whats happened so far, simply pointing out that gendanken's in trouble early. Due to a self inflicted wound I might add, xev pointed at it and we all had a good laugh. It is those silent laughs which gendanken must be aware of that are doing the damage.

I've had the courtesy to return about a 3rd of the private messages I have recieved. I initiated one with "antisipatience" to pretend I was a member of a secret government who was angry with him for revealing all of our conspiracies, to which he replied "we want our planet BACK!!!" and thats about it.
    Anyway, what are you doing? This is really getting way off the topic of xev vs gendanken and i don't... oh right, sometimes I forget that losers take themselves seriously. You seem to be denying you're gendanken's he-bitch, right? Like, you're a man. You, invert nexus, are a person and not just gendanken's he bitch. You are comparable to me, I might be the bitch according to you, who's the he-bitch is very much up in the air and undecided, not flagrantly well and truely determined past the point of being debatable ... in your opinion.
    Am I understanding you?
    Are you really stuck way back there?
    Please, lets stick to the topic of xev vs gendanken.
    You were only mentioned in regard to being a hole in gendanken's armour. I didn't intend for you to come in here and defend your sorry self. Jesus.

I wipe like a human being, you should try it some time.

21. Fenris Wolf Banned Banned

Gendanken :
    That has to be a first. I'm going all gooey inside.
    It's difficult to see the attraction though. Wouldn't it be a little like staring at the NASDAQ for hours on end?

Something further - that whole function was designed to ensure that forum members could track each other. We used to be able to track pm's, check in to see if one had been read or not. Now, we have no idea - unless we sit and watch.

(Enjoying myself immensely.)

Still doesn't explain how you know even the ratio of time she spends pm'ing.
    Nor to whom. You're downplaying your interest.

Sequined Tapdancing, Xev-style.

Not hard to know what books you happen to be reading at the time either.
    Is the Gom Jabbar significant?

I admit to being rather judgemental. Although it should be noted that occasional interest hardly rates as an obsession. I'm rather interested in Bonobos as well, but I'd hardly want to spend any personal time with them, and more to the point I do in fact consider myself superior to them. If you were speaking about interest or obsession for the purpose of comparison, so that one might rank oneself aganst others, then you might have a point.

Not true.
    Last time I blamed you.

He said, licking his lips.
    You couldn't do it if she was asleep, so you're rather hoping someone else will. And that someone just happens to be another "feisty" female (and hopefully this time your attentions will be a little more warmly recieved).

Except that lions and tigers don't generally fight. People like you tend to wish they would, though. You justification comes only when the one you had your money on wins. You wouldn't dare take one on yourself, other than the occasional snipe to see if they'll notice you.

See?

That "silent laughing" might be hurtful - but only when it originates from significance.

I suppose if you're persistant, keep jumping up and down at the back and waving your hands around begging for atention, your "allies" might notice you eventually. Keep at it.

The phrase "you couldn't organise a fuck in a brothel" comes to mind.
    You only have significance here in order to further highlight the whole damn thing.

* - and as a distraction. I missed two Gendanken's. Now how will I make up for that?

22. invert_nexus Ze do caixao Valued Senior Member

Lou:

So... she is prone to recklessness. And this explains how the "wound" will have an inhibitive effect on her how?
    Do try to keep up.

Well, reiterate to your heart's content. It suits you.
    Reiterate long enough and someone might be convinced that you've had an original idea.

Ah, so now it's that she associates with me in particular that is her weakness. Not that she associates with others at all.
    I'm beginning to think you don't like me.

Tell you more what?
    It would be pointless to share our discussions with you because they are much the same as takes place in the threads in which we have mutual interest. I've rarely seen you in any of those so they must not interest you. So, I can't imagine our private conversations would interest you either.

But, that which is hidden is always more tantalizing, is it not? You can construct your own fancies in the unknown and make yourself feel superior because of your mental constructions.

Tell me. What do you think we talk about?

You know. Come to think about it, most of the times that I can ever recall you joining into any relevant threads is when a "bloodbath" is occurring. You do love to flock to carnage, don't you?
    Always so quick to take the bait.
    Over.
    And over.
    Christ, Lou. Even animals learn eventually. When will you?

Lou the commentator. How... fitting. Maybe if you circle about the action long enough stating the obvious some of the blood splatter will land on you. And then you might pretend significance, if only for the briefest of moments.

No. I don't think I would compare myself to you. We are completely different animals. But, you go on with your commentating. You're doing well. Maybe they'll hire you to announce for football or something. Oh, that's right. They usually hire former athletes, don't they?

No. It appears I lost you.

I was saying that you're only imitating Xev. You did find a novel way to make it seem as though you were being original by bringing my name up. At least that was new material. But, the strategy that you imitated was simple.

First you mention the "he-bitches" by name. And then you predict the arrival of this "harem" to defend their "queen". This way, you can claim victory in either the circumstance that the aforementioned harem doesn't show ("See, I told you they were bitches.") and if they do show ("See, what did I tell you. Bitches.")

Xev, at least, was intelligent enough not to be quite so obvious about it. Your mention of us arriving to defend our queen was extraneous. But, imitators must use every word they can so as to obscure their inability to come up with their own points.

But, regardless of the obviousness of the strategy, it is irrelevant in the present context of love.

Know what I'd call a bitch? Someone who pokes their bitchy nose into a situation that does not concern him in the least. Someone who just wants to state the significance of the situation to those involved who are already more aware than he of any possible significance.

Frankly, Lou, I couldn't care less about your opinion of me. It would be pointless to affirm or deny my place in the greater scheme of things to a non-entity such as yourself.

It would seem that you are the one that is stuck in that you think that your opinion matters.

The topic is love. Gendanken and Xev love each other, you know. Some people show love by hugging and kissing. Gendanken and Xev apparently show their love by hurling verbal assaults at one another. Maybe, if we're lucky, an orgy will break out after the brawl. I doubt that commentators will be invited.

Fenris:

Damn you. I forgot about that. She was beating us loud that day, wasn't she? I think they heard us screaming across town. But, I got even with her. I killed the cat she had in the bag with us at the time. She never found out it was me... yet.

23. Dr Lou Natic Unnecessary Surgeon Registered Senior Member

I was making a general comment regarding the contestants of the match.
    I'm finished with discussing the inhibitive effects of the wound. I predict the wound will have an inhibitive effect, what else is there to say?
    Geeze, we'd make a terrible commentating duo.

Original idea? Wtf? Are you drunk?
    You could have just as easily said "...and someone might be convinced that you aren't a faggot" and that would have been as relevent.
    Do you even know what you're talking about?

Aww, thats sad.
    You are what you are, I'm not mad about it, that would be like being mad at a shark for swimming.
    The bottom line is, you and the rest of the gendanken fan club were used as a weapon by xev against gendanken. Like the good commentator I am I called the action- "whoa! what a devestating blow, I can't see gendanken getting up from that one" -whatever.
    This doesn't sit right with you for some reason, why is that? Is it because the mention of you as a friend was used as an insult? What could possibly be so upsetting about that? I mean ..... oh yeah, my mistake, your depression is valid.

Well this is awkward, ahhh, I was being sarcastic.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

Learn what? This is rewarding, as it was the first time, thats why I keep doing it. Stop making it so fun for me if you want to train me to stop. You evidently don't know much about animal behaviour.

Man, you've got me all wrong.
    I don't see how I could possibly come out victorious, I'm the commentator. It was never my intention to win or have an original thought or whatever.

Where the fuck did xev call attention to the xev vs gendanken scrap unfolding? I'd like to see it. Thats the point I was making, as far as I'm concerned you being a he-bitch is a given and mentioning it doesn't mean I expect people to think I'm being original.
    Someone else has already said most commentators are former athletes- ooohhh you're trying to steal someone elses thoughts

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

I never presented referring to you as a he-bitch as an original thought. I never said "hey guys, i just realised, invert is a he-bitch".
    Obviously you are a he-bitch, I can't even believe you have the audacity to deny it.

And what you're saying couldn't be any more irrelevent to me. If you don't want to talk about xev vs gendanken, don't quote the post I made on that subject and dissect it. If you do, fine, lets discuss weights and recent performances. Not fucking whatever the fuck you're trying to talk to me about or accuse me of or whatever the fuck you're doing.

Maybe it was unnecessarry. You seem a little more irritated than someone who merely witnessed the unnecessarry though.

If that were true I'd be thrilled. This whole little hissy fit wouldn't have happened. You were the one that addressed me first, I mentioned you only as an object that related to the battle. I didn't want the object to come in and tell me it's life story.
    Please, don't care less about my opinion of you, I actually wasn't expecting to you. I'm kind of annoyed that you do care so much, it's distracting me from whats important.

Thats your topic, not mine. If thats what you want to discuss talk to the people who are discussing it, not me.

Ha, I love the "I'm a part of the gang and you aren't" vibe demonstrated in this passage.
    Even though thats exactly what you're being made fun of for. You just can't not try to use it to your advantage, even when it is the topic of your ridicule.
    "Haha you shit yourself"
    "at least I have this rad shit in my pants"
    "ahhh yeah, I know, thats why I laughed"
    Its almost cute. Shame you're like what, a 25 year old man?