Local Think Tanks?

Discussion in 'Free Thoughts' started by AmishRakeFight, Mar 17, 2006.

1. Hipparchia Registered Senior Member

You seem to have a lot of anger Jaybee. Is there a reason for that?

Amish, there are two, possibly fatal, problems with this idea.

1. Power rests in the hands of those who a) like power b) know how to acquire it. These individuals are typically smart rather than intelligent. How do you plan to get them to give up that power, or to wrest it from them.
    2. You are assuming that intelligent people will be able to reach meaningful agreement. The evidence from sciforums (for example) is against this.

2. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Jaybee from his cast Banned Banned

Your misinterpretation is the reason for what I seem to you. Anger is a strong emotion. I am not angry, this is just a bunch of words on some website. I am annoyed, rather, by the constant, disguised requests by the threadstarter for us to do his homework, masquerading as 'ideas', or 'conversation'. It's further irritating that I'm in the company of people too stupid to see through the deception.

In any case, if I were angry, and gave you a reason, what would happen then?

Last edited: Mar 18, 2006
  4. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Hipparchia Registered Senior Member

There is no misinterpretation, I assure you JayBee. You seem angry. That is an absolute. I made no declaration that you were angry, or that I thought you were angry. I very clearly stipulated you seemed angry. That is an objective fact, and so there is no misinterpretation involved.
    We certainly seem to share a similar assessment of your contribution.
    I haven't noticed any of his, or her, posts before. It may be a homework project. It doesn't especially look like one.
    Let's imagine that it is. (S)he will still have to evaluate all the contributions, discard some, amend others, package them together into a concise, cohesive whole. It sounds a lot like research to me. What do you have against that?
    Perhaps if you find stupidity irritating you should seek out locations where it is not so prevalent. Would that not help?
    I have no idea. I was just curious as to why you seemed so angry.

6. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. AmishRakeFight Remember, remember. Registered Senior Member

Nah, the idea isn't that all-encompassing. But it WOULD help to have kids enjoying learning instead of it being a drag going to school. If they want to become part of the think tank, then by all means, they can go for it, but that's not the goal I had in mind.

No, for the last time. You've taken a one-time-incident and started making assumptions, which is asinine.

Good point. And I wouldn't be the one who interviews and determines who's fit to be in the group, as I probably wouldn't be smart enough.

My area's schools are kind of different, I suppose. There is an air that smart people are geeks, however outdated and overused it is. Anyway, this aspect of the idea probably wouldn't apply everywhere.

AmishRakeFight

8. AmishRakeFight Remember, remember. Registered Senior Member

There are several things wrong with these sentences, that I'll be glad to point out to you:

a) The word "Constant" requires an incident to occur more than one time, which is not the case. In fact, the other time wasn't even a request to do my homework. My project was turned in BEFORE I even posted the "Political Correctness" thread, but the topic of the paper interested me. Therefore, you lose.

b) Disguised, by definition, means that it is not visible to the general public. But, since we've established in "point a" I've only done this once, and I openly admitted to it having been a project. You lose again.

c) Did you ever taken into consideration that maybe your not as intelligent as you make yourself out to be? Nobody else has come forward an even voiced this assumption, yet you see yourself as a beacon in the midst of SciForums ignorance. Yet, you fail to take into account the fact that other people realize that it is not deception, for the reasons above and below, so they don't feel the need to falsely accuse people who bring about ideas, whether they are half-assed or revolutionary. Ergo, your ignorance is placed on a spotlighted pedestal for all of SciForums to see.

d) By saying that others are "too stupid" to see through "deception", that effectively places you at the top of the pile, doesn't it? So, again, you've stated that you are superior to all of SciForums' vast membership. Yet, I find it interesting that I can find so many different people that disagree with that statement. Why are you lying to us?

This fairly new member, in his 21 posts, has already proved himself more intelligent than you, Jaybee.

AmishRakeFight

9. Jaybee from his cast Banned Banned

Yet more bluff, bull and horseshit.

Ultimately, we only have YOUR word to take for your claim that these are not homework. I don't believe it for a second. This whole, "I already handed in my project" is a convenient smokescreen.

Don't get me wrong, though - I admire the duplicity and cunning. As for your 'beacon' analogy, it's an interesting one, but slightly flawed; I'm not interesting in educating others, only gaining knowledge for myself. I may entertain myself on occasion by throwing out a few enlightening facts, but I'm largely happy for the ignorant to remain so.

I blew the whistle ONLY to see how stupid Joe Schmoe actually is.

Jaybee.

10. J-Rod Registered Member

If it bothers you that much dont reply or give theory on the subject matter. And from what I can see from the quote above "we" should be changed to "I".

11. Hipparchia Registered Senior Member

I shall keep that in mind.

I noticed one of the other posters, in the phrase below their name, uses the word TANSTAAFL. (Sorry, I don't recall which poster it is.) I believe this stands for "There ain't no such thing as a free lunch." You might find that a useful concept to reflect on.

I shall try to avoid further interaction with you Jaybee. It is evident that you are young and have been hurt in your dealings with the world. I don't wish to add to the negative perceptions you have of the rest of the planet. Good luck, but do think about the fact that there really never are any free lunches - we get out of any situation in proportion to what we put into it.

Amish, I would be interested on your thoughts about the two flaws I see in applying your idea.

12. Jaybee from his cast Banned Banned

"Try"? I think there is an 'Ignore' function, you may wish to use that when temptation overwhelms you.

At my age, 'young' is sadly a debatable description.

Haven't we all?

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

Some perceptions are positive, others negative, in my case it depends on the perceived, not the perceiver. But ALL are realistic.

Jaybee.

13. AmishRakeFight Remember, remember. Registered Senior Member

Most certainly. First off, I'd like to break down your first problem:

a) Your "a" is not necessarily true. Although many people in power worked to get there, others were thrust there by supporters (or enemies) without exactly wanting to be in power.

b) Your "b" is sort of an axiom, in that to have been in power they obviously must have known how to get there.

c) The difference between smart and intelligent is frequently under debate. One could argue that smart is just a byproduct of being intelligent. Or do you mean "street smarts", or "common sense"?

d) I think you've misunderstood the whole "local think tank" idea. This is not a revolution of local governments. The politicians of the local government won't have to give up their position, nor give control/power to the think tank. The think tank will not need government support on many issues, as the programs they implement will be self-sufficient, but the issues like crime will, indeed, need governmental backing to implement in the police force (if the solution relies on police aid). So the solution to this problem depends on the solution the think tank would come up with. If the solution to a problem rests with government cooperation, government cooperation is a neccesity.

e) The point of having so many intelligent people is for many different intelligent answers and solutions. And, since the problems usually wouldn't be ideological (although I can't say for sure they wouldn't), the group's probably wouldn't have as hard of a time of reaching a conclusion. If you've noticed, the Business and Economics subforum has a lot less argument than the Philosophy subforum.

This is the best I can come with off the top of my head, and they aren't really solutions to the flaws, merely rationalizations. What are your thoughts on this?

AmishRakeFight

Last edited: Mar 19, 2006
  14. The Devil Inside Banned Banned

i think it is an interesting idea, amishrakefight.

it reminds me of a simpsons episode i once saw where the intelligensia took over springfield....at the end of the episode, stephen hawking came to their city and called them all morons.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

i think something similar could be a problem with your model.

15. EmptyForceOfChi Banned Banned

i like the idea, but it would have to be completely indipendant from the government, to stop it bieng tainted.

peace.

16. EmptyForceOfChi Banned Banned

no voting, no polls, just on the tests and figures alone would be good.

peace.