Limits to Knowledge?

Discussion in 'General Science & Technology' started by Dinosaur, May 1, 2016.

1. Dinosaur Rational Skeptic Valued Senior Member

Not sure this is the correct place for this Post.

In many threads, There is speculation relating to what humans will know in a thousand or a million years, assuming we last that long. Sometimes the speculation relates to what some other technological culture might know now or in the distant future.

These speculations are generally mentioned to support notions such as the possible future existence of Star Trek transporters and/or Star Gate technology.

In a Thread, I mentioned that I did not expect either technology to be possible. I further stated that the Star trek transporter was magic or fantasy, not SciFi due to there being no equipment at the destination.

Some one posted a comment similar to the following.
    The implication was that both technologies were likely to be possible in the future. There was an implication that almost imaginable technology would be developed in the future.

The above POV implies that human knowledge plots like a parabola, with no upper bound.

I strongly believe that it plots more like an asymptote to some upper bound.

What do other Posters think about the above?

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. cluelusshusbund + Public Dilemma + Valued Senior Member

I thank biological humans will be out of production/extinct long befor 1000 years... an based on humanities prevous acheivments its my speculation that all thangs will be posible... an i have no idea if it will even relate to you'r issue of an upper bound or not.!!!

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. paddoboy Valued Senior Member

Of course no one can be 100% sure of what will or what will not happen.
    My view is that as long as we are able to survive and not wreck this planet called Earth, then in time [whatever amount of time you like] whatever is allowed for by the laws of physics and GR may well be possible.

ajanta likes this.
  6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.