Light colour and our internal clock

Discussion in 'Biology & Genetics' started by Pinball1970, Dec 22, 2023.

1. Pinball1970 Valued Senior Member

C C likes this.
  2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. DaveC426913 Valued Senior Member

The more ya know...

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Pinball1970 Valued Senior Member

I need to read the previous literature again see where I am before I follow up. I just wanted to get it on before I left work.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Hercules Rockefeller Beatings will continue until morale improves. Moderator

There’s certainly no shortage of publications that indicate light intensity and wavelength affect circadian rhythms. But maybe the issue isn’t as clear-cut as it seems. Interestingly, this 2018 systematic review suggests that only 15 out of 128 papers they reviewed on the subject fulfilled their quality criteria; most were excluded due to small sample sizes, narrow cohort diversity, and other factors.

Leena Tähkämö, Timo Partonen & Anu-Katriina Pesonen (2019) Systematic review of light exposure impact on human circadian rhythm, Chronobiology International, 36:2, 151-170, DOI: 10.1080/07420528.2018.1527773

https://www.tandfonline.com/action/showCitFormats?doi=10.1080/07420528.2018.1527773

Their review findings were:

“A 2-h exposure to light (460 nm) in the evening suppresses melatonin, the maximum melatonin-suppressing effect of light exposure being achieved at the shortest wavelengths (424 nm), but the melatonin concentration recovers rather rapidly, within 15 min from cessation of the exposure. This suggests a short-term or simultaneous impact of the light exposure. In addition, melatonin secretion as well as melatonin suppression were found to reduce with age, but the light-induced phase advance of melatonin circadian rhythm is not impaired with age. The circadian rhythm was found to respond to both morning and evening light exposure (blue-enriched or blue-depleted) without significant differences between morning-types and evening-types of persons (chronotypes).”​

Pinball1970 likes this.