Light came on in my car; tire pressure is low--have a question

Discussion in 'Computer Science & Culture' started by wegs, Sep 14, 2013.

1. wegs Matter and Pixie Dust Valued Senior Member

One of my dashboard lights popped on today, which alerted me to check my car manual, as to what it indicates. Apparently, my tire pressure is low. The odd thing is, to 'look' at the tires, they don't appear to be low. Here's my question; the manual states to check the tire pressure when they are cool. Why is it necessary to wait for the tires to cool down to check the tire pressure?

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

TIA for your advice.

(Not sure where to have placed this thread; it seems it is best suited for Computer Science, although it's electrical in nature, I guess.)

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. exchemist Valued Senior Member

Because when they are warm the pressure will rise. And, if the pressure is too low, they will deform more, so they will be heated more during driving, raising the the pressure and giving a false reading. I know from my bike that low air pressure absorbs energy - the bike is harder to pedal. So worth checking as your fuel consumption will rise if pressures are too low.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. wegs Matter and Pixie Dust Valued Senior Member

I see, so is that why the light came on upon starting the car? Because tires were still cool at that point? Like it didn't pop on while I was driving. I'm still a bit confused but ok. lol

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Stryder Keeper of "good" ideas. Valued Senior Member

It's always a good idea to check your tyres regularly, the advent of dashboard warning lights aids in people at least considering that it needs to be checked, although still all too often people tend to ignore the warning lights.

Most manufacturers tend to put the ideal tyre pressure into the manuals for the stock tyres that are fitted, they usually also state when to check the pressures (early in the day before it gets too warm or used) It's probably also why the check itself occurs when you first turn the engine on and likely won't suddenly pop the warning light on while in motion. (It wouldn't make sense for a procedural check to re-evaluate all the time, just at start-up.)

Gauges can potentially be problematic with non-stock tyres that aren't recommended by the Manufacturer since they could give faulty readings (unless there is a calibration method that can be used during a tyre refit)

Uneven tyre pressures can effect a car's capacity to steer, reduce the effects of traction or inversely the efficiency of fuel consumption (In regards to if a tyre is over or under inflated) Incidentally I'm sure that would generate a rather interesting mathematics problem in regards to the formula to work out how long a slow puncture could be run on before it costs as much in fuel inefficiency, as replacing with a new tyre.

8. leopold Valued Senior Member

as you drive your car the friction between tire and road, heat from the road, and tire flexing, all combine to raise the heat of the air inside the tire which increases the pressure.
    if you checked a "hot" tire and made the proper pressure adjustment then the pressure would be too low when cold.
    low tire pressure will cause premature tire wear and if severe enough can affect stability.

oil level is the same, check BEFORE starting your engine.

transmission fluid level must be checked hot and with engine running.

9. wegs Matter and Pixie Dust Valued Senior Member

It's funny/ironic that you mention the steering; I've been noticing the wheel is tough to turn ...the car is a sports model so the wheel is a bit tight normally, but it's really tight lately, then the light came on not too long, thereafter. Maybe a week or two after I noticed the extreme tension in the steering wheel.
    I'm wondering if there's a correlation.

Going to take it to the tire shop tomorrow. We shall see.
    Appreciate the advice.

10. wegs Matter and Pixie Dust Valued Senior Member

I *try* to keep up with general maintenance.
    Thanks for chiming in leopold.

11. Stoniphi obscurely fossiliferous Valued Senior Member

That sounds like a plan to me.

12. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

Just buy a small tire gauge and check the pressure. If it's low, use a bicycle pump. I overinflate my tires to about 40 psi for better gas mileage. Low pressure can also make it harder to steer.

13. Russ_Watters Not a Trump supporter... Valued Senior Member

Most gas stations have pumps/gauges for not much cost (like 50 cents) to use. No need to take it for service yet.

14. arauca Banned Banned

Don't do any thing wait until weather become a little more stable it will correct itself