Life On Mars (Sydney’s Red Dust Storm)

Discussion in 'Earth Science' started by ScaryMonster, Sep 23, 2009.

1. Asguard Kiss my dark side Valued Senior Member

its more than that though, in order for there to be dust storms in Adelaide and Melbourne the plains in between have to be so dry that everything is dead (even the grass that binds the dirt), further more the winds have to be strong and blowing from the center of Australia, ie perfect bushfire weather. Hense why dust storms precede the massive bushfires.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. EntropyAlwaysWins TANSTAAFL. Registered Senior Member

For comparison, here is a picture of the underside of the harbour bridge that I took today, just coincidentally.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Bells Staff Member

Here are some images from my home city. It started to roll in mid morning and by lunch time, it was like a dense fog, only made up of dust:

Here is a comparison of what it started out as at the start of the storm and what it was like within 30 minutes of it rolling in:

That photo was taken from the edge of the city, looking out over the river to an area we call 'Southbank'.

And here is one of the river that cuts through the city of Brisbane:

As I said, it was foul!

And there may be more on the way for us.

And for those who are curious as to just how much soil was eroded or moved in yesterday's storms:

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. EntropyAlwaysWins TANSTAAFL. Registered Senior Member

More pictures I took today, the dust appears to have cleared....for now at least.

Harbour bridge again:

The Sydney opera house:

8. Syzygys As a mother, I am telling you Valued Senior Member

It happened in the US during the dust bowl years. Soil was send from Kansas to DC through the air and it actually happened when a Senator was giving a speech about how to save the farmlands from drying out. He got his point made..

9. kurros Registered Senior Member

I'm out of the country at the moment, I can't believe I missed it. No fair. Although I would have been in Melbourne so would have missed it anyway. Oh well. It might have been unpleasant, but it would have been cool to see.

10. CharleboisE Registered Member

Wedding photos?

is it possible to find a photographer that will put a wedding package together based on the amount of photos that you will actually need?

11. Pete It's not rocket surgery Registered Senior Member

Start a new thread, dude. This one is a year and a half old, and has nothing to do with wedding photos.

12. Ophiolite Valued Senior Member

And when you start the new thread, please use correct grammar. "based on the number of photos", not "based on the amount of photos". Amount is for continuous quantities, not discrete numbers like individual photos.This common error places you in the lower 99% of the population. If you are happy being there, that's fine with me. Otherwise, shape up.

13. Pete It's not rocket surgery Registered Senior Member

I need a friendly way to politely suggest that someone who I respect is being a pompous pedantic ass. Little help?

(Split infinitive, I think it should be 'whom', sentence fragment, missed a comma... did I do anything else unorthodox? Maybe I could have used less words

)

Last edited: Mar 10, 2011
  14. jack123 Registered Senior Member

Wedding photos?

yes, most professional studio would work with you. try sunset studio.