Libertarians Plot to Takeover State.

Discussion in 'World Events' started by jps, Jun 8, 2003.

1. jps Valued Senior Member

http://www.infoshop.org/inews/stories.php?story=03/06/06/5563325
    What do people think of these tactics? Is this a good way to enact change or should people just work to enact change on a local level wherever they are?
    I think that the way things are organized in the US this could be more effective. A few activists in every town around the country don't have much influence, so their loss from those communities probably wouldn't make that big a difference, but a large concentration of them in a small state might be able to take control. I don't think much of this particular movement as the libertarian party isn't really interested in liberating people(as pointed out in the comments to this article), but it could be an effective tool for progressive activists

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Carnuth i dont Registered Senior Member

an interesting experiment, but i like the united states, united....

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. blankc Your superior Registered Senior Member

This is a true test for freedom imho. If something like this is still possible then the world isn't screwed. If it is intervened upon by the current establishment then America is doomed to a worse fate than the british empire. This is similar to how the USA itself was formed, and similar reasons too.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Tiassa Let us not launch the boat ... Valued Senior Member

Hmmm ....

The way I see it, if the people buy it, the people buy it. Such is the will of the people.

A concern that I don't think is entirely illegitimate is that the marketing-minded pundits will, in the event of a Libertarian success, advocate what essentially becomes a fracturing of the country according to political lines, with the West holding the liberals, the East a spectrum of conservatism, and the heartland a patchwork of ideological holdouts.

However, given the time something like this will take, perhaps the market ideology so prevalent in politics will have tempered to a backlash trend.

I don't think they can pull it off. Even if they make substantial progress, we'll eventually see an internal fracture because organized political Libertarianism tends to be as myopic as any major trend.

:m:,
    Tiassa

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

8. Pollux V Ra Bless America Registered Senior Member

Man, it would really, really suck if they took over Maine.

The state's in bad enough shape as it is...and I live here goddamnit. There was a thread like this elsewhere, on the same subject, and my comment was "they want to tear the country apart."

9. Cowboy My Aim Is True Valued Senior Member

No more welfare for those Somali refugees. LOL.

A little freedom will improve things.

How is 20,000 Libertarians moving to one state of fifty tearing the country apart?

10. SuperFudd Registered Senior Member

If you think that is scary, I here the Democrats a plotting to take over the federal government next year!:bugeye:

11. guthrie paradox generator Registered Senior Member

SuperFudd, whats really scary is that the Republicans and neo-cons already have control of the Gvt, the courts and everything else.

12. Cowboy My Aim Is True Valued Senior Member

Conspiracy theorists of the world unite!

13. Jerrek Registered Senior Member

Yeah, so scary that you neo-communists are crying that people don't want to follow your little communist beliefs. lol.

If the Libertarians manage to win the elections in a state, I am *so* moving there.

14. Vortexx Skull & Bones Spokesman Registered Senior Member

It would actually be a good idea to have one Libetarian state. This way we can see if their model really works so well as they claim to be...

15. Mystech Adult Supervision Required Registered Senior Member

This is probably the best idea I've heard in a while. I think it'd be a great way to see how these principals work when they are free to be enacted. Will a better society emerge, or will it just turn into utter chaos? Idealist that I am, I predict a world of rainbows and happyness.

16. guthrie paradox generator Registered Senior Member

Or it could turn out like Utah. I understand its a little odd there.

Hey, this is fun, jerrek says Im a communist, and my communist friend says Im a liberal. I think you need a new pair of glasses jerrek, so you can tell distances better.

17. skydmark Registered Member

Okay, now tell me how Utah comes to play in your scope. I am just not seeing where your coming from. Will you please enlighten me.

Last edited: Oct 29, 2006
  18. madanthonywayne Morning in America Registered Senior Member

The West holding the liberals? New England is the heart of liberalism in the US. Not the West.

For this plan to work, they need to move somewhere with low population and existing libertarian tendencies. I wish them well, and would even consider moving in should they be successful. I've heard of this plan for years, but didn't realise it was nearing completion.

Who is John Galt?

19. Prince_James Plutarch (Mickey's Dog) Registered Senior Member

John Galt was the man who had the world on his shoulders....and shrugged.

20. madanthonywayne Morning in America Registered Senior Member

Indeed. A great book. I'm proud to say my sixteen year old son is now reading it.

21. Leo Volont Registered Senior Member

Well, it could all be a blessing in disguise, as the Stronger Federal Government could move in to fill the vacuum left behind by an abdicating State Government.

In America it is remarkable concerning the breadth of difference there is in Education from state to state. The American Federal Government has always shunned taking responsibilty for Education, but if certain State Governments simply roll up and die, then it will force their hand and the United States will finally Centralize their Educational Policies.

But I don't see it lasting long. Say these states are successful in becoming Barbarian Paradices of low taxation and no regulation. They are all relatively unpopulated states, now. But Corporations will flood in and impose slave labor conditions on the populations, strip the land, and attract minority labor sources. These libertarians will LOVE all that, won't they?

22. Baron Max Registered Senior Member

Well, if they don't form/take over the state AND secede from the USA, then what's the big deal? If they don't secede, then they'll still have to follow all the rules and laws of the USA. That being the case, what can they do that's so ....libertarian? And how does it affect anything?

Baron Max

23. Leo Volont Registered Senior Member

Well, no. They CAN muck things up. Like in the California Tax Revolt where they made a law saying that no new taxes could be decided without popular referendum. These are the kind of laws that can bankrupt a State.

Who fixes the potholes?

The police, the schools. Zoning. What keeps WestVirgina Mining Corp from strip mining someone's entire State?

If a State Government simply steps aside and declares FAIR GAME, then all kinds of crap could happen.