Language ‘layers’ and EGO-tism

Discussion in 'General Philosophy' started by sparkle, May 15, 2003.

1. sparkle born to be free Registered Senior Member

Hi @ll

This is a forum using the English language. English, like other European languages does have some ‘layers’ (sorry, if you don’t find this word suitable, just invent another one and post it here), but not so many as other languages.
    Explanation: with ‘layers’ I mean the degree of courtesy, which is available to languages. In English I can “eat”, but I can also “grab a bite”, or I can “dine”. I can “walk“ and I can “gravitate”, for example. However, when it comes to personal pronouns, there is only one level of “I” and “you”. Other languages are more structured. They do have five or more different forms for “I”, consistently used with the appropriate level of nouns (which are proportionally numerous). For instance in some countries you would say “I go to…” to a person that is perceived to be of the same rank, but then “your highness proceeds to…” to someone like your boss.
    Question: There must be a psychological side effect to having your pronouns shifting all the time. What Westerners know is they have in general all their verbal expressions built around the single “I” (I know there are some exceptions). What do you think: does the usage of language layers probably have sociological impacts? Are such ‘layer’-societies supposed to be less egotistic