Knowledge vs Belief

Discussion in 'General Philosophy' started by Magical Realist, Feb 6, 2024.

1. Magical Realist Valued Senior Member

What comes first? Knowledge or belief? Is knowledge possible without belief? Is belief possible without knowledge? What makes facts anything more than true propositions?

Last edited: Feb 6, 2024
  2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Seattle Valued Senior Member

Is belief possible without knowledge? That's pretty much the definition of belief. Holding a view in the absence of evidence is belief. Otherwise, it takes no belief.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Magical Realist Valued Senior Member

What is belief according to evidence called? Is it not still belief?

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Seattle Valued Senior Member

No, unless you are playing the Write4U game and playing around with the varying meanings of words.

You might say I believe the sun will come up tomorrow. But you actually require no belief for saying that. You know the sun will come up tomorrow based on evidence and if you happen to use the word that way, that's fine in a colloquial sense as long as you realize that you don't actually mean "believe".

If you have evidence, you don't need belief, you have evidence.

8. Magical Realist Valued Senior Member

I'm not playing any game. I'm simply asking questions. So how do you define belief?

9. Seattle Valued Senior Member

A viewpoint that you have no evidence for.

10. Magical Realist Valued Senior Member

Here's a dictionary definition of belief:

be·lief
    /bəˈlēf/
    noun
    1. 1.
      an acceptance that a statement is true or that something exists.
      "his belief in the value of hard work"
    Doesn't say anything about having no evidence for it.

11. Seattle Valued Senior Member

I'm sure Sarkus will be along soon. I'm not that interested in prolonging discussions such as this one. I probably shouldn't have answered but no one else had so I jumped in. I'm really not that interested in the semantics of this so maybe someone else will jump in soon.

12. James R Just this guy, you know? Staff Member

Knowledge is stronger than belief.

If you believe that X is true, it only means that you have become convinced that X is true - for whatever reason.

The point is, your reasons for becoming convinced might be unjustified or very poorly justified. Maybe you read a rumor on Twitter about a celebrity, and you've become convinced that the rumor is true because you learned about the rumor from a friend of yours who shared it with you, and you trust their judgment on such things. In other words, you've become convinced of something - you believe it to be true - even though it might not be true.

On the other hand, if you know that X is true, then one common idea is that you must have a justified belief that X is true. In other words, there must be objective evidence that X is true.

Some people also argue that it is technically impossible to "know" something that is, in fact, false, as a matter of definition of what it means to know something. Hence, knowledge is often defined to be a justified, true belief. Conceivably, you could have what seem (objectively) like good reasons for accepting that something is true, yet the thing itself is not actually true; you have justification for holding the belief, but you don't have a true belief.

So...
    It's not so much a matter of what comes first. It's a matter of whether the belief you have is objectively justified.
    It would make no sense to claim that you know something is true and yet you don't believe it to be true, so belief always goes with knowledge. The reverse need not be the case. You can believe things that are false, and therefore not know the truth.
    Why do you think facts are more than true propositions?

Yazata likes this.
  13. Yazata Valued Senior Member

How MR's questions are answered probably depends on whether we are talking about propositional knowledge or 'knowing how'. My reply below will mostly address propositional knowledge.

Well, since knowledge is arguably a subset of belief, I'd say that belief comes first. If we accept the common 'Justified True Belief' account of knowledge, then knowledge is belief that happens to be both true and is justified in some acceptable way.

I might know how to perform some task (riding a bike, say) without me believing that I can do it.

But when it comes to propositional knowledge, I don't think so.

Sure, happens all the time.

I might believe that Bells is 15 meters tall, but since it (probably) isn't true I can't be said to know it. Or I might believe something for some bad reason (or for no reason at all) and just happen by chance to be correct. In that case, we wouldn't say that I know it, because my true belief would lack suitable justification. Lucky guesses aren't knowledge.

In fact one might plausibly argue that most (all?) of our beliefs lack suitable and sufficient justification, hence most (all?) of what we take to be knowledge (episteme) really is just belief (doxa). That's the classic position of the ancient skeptics.

Well, I would define facts are real existing extra-linguistic states of affairs. Defined that way, facts are neither true or false, they simply are.

But in everyday speech we often say things like 'I'm just stating the facts!' In that case 'fact' becomes synonymous with 'true proposition' and is transformed out of ontology into language. One might argue that 'stating a fact' in this kind of usage is weaker than 'knowledge' since the justification for the truth of the proposition might be weak or missing. Which would leave 'I'm stating a fact!' as just a forceful and perhaps pretentious way of saying 'I believe this very strongly!'

Magical Realist likes this.
  14. Yazata Valued Senior Member

Yes. I think that it is.

I'd say (paraphrasing the Oxford Guide to Philosophy) that 'belief' is a mental state, with a proposition as its object, in which the truth of the proposition is asserted.

Just because we believe something doesn't imply that it is true. And even correct assertion of the truth of a proposition needn't have good reasons for that assertion.

But in some cases we want to say that our belief (assertion of a proposition's truth) is both correct and well justified. And that subset of beliefs we call 'knowledge'. Knowledge doesn't cease being belief just because we supposedly know it (we are still asserting the truth of a proposition, after all). Knowledge is simply justified true beliefs.

Last edited: Feb 7, 2024
    Magical Realist likes this.
  15. Pinball1970 Valued Senior Member

I think of belief as a current position on a subject. We could all read the Bible, the God Delusion and selected scholarship on the OT/ NT say but end up all believing something different.

Abortion is a good example too, we all read the stats, the medical position and moral implications but end up with a different belief.
    Moral, not moral, should be legal, illegal or allowed sometimes.

We are all different, genetics, different experiences, upbringing and knowledge so our beliefs are formed on those.

16. Magical Realist Valued Senior Member

When I think back on all the things I thought I knew, I find that I only believed them, and often without much evidence. When I was a devoted biblethumper, I took the scriptures as evidence for my beliefs, which were pretty much motivated by subjective feelings of spiritual excitement and comfort. And even as I have over the years replaced my former beliefs with scientific knowledge, I still find myself believing things I really don't have adequate evidence for. Is there a basis here for skepticism, that "knowing facts" in the end amounts to little more than having subjectively biased beliefs? Even our reliance on evidence assumes an unswerving belief in that evidence. Can we really only know what we are immediately perceiving?

Last edited: Feb 7, 2024
    Pinball1970 likes this.
  17. James R Just this guy, you know? Staff Member

In other words, you don't care whether those beliefs are true or justified. You believe them for other reasons.
    You missed the whole point about justification. That's an objective process, not a subjective one.

You can believe all sorts of things, for justified reasons or for unjustified reasons. But beliefs that aren't justified can't be considered knowledge.
    No. It's right there in my signature line, from Hume: our beliefs, if rational, should be proportional to the evidence.

That means giving rational consideration to the evidence alleged to be for and against a claim. It means weighing up the evidence. Is it any good? Is it reliable? How much weight should we give it, in all the circumstances?

This is very different from a faith-based process, in which you just pick somebody or something (e.g. a particular text) to trust and assume that any "evidence" they provide will decide the issue beyond doubt.
    We can't even be sure that what we are immediately perceiving is real.

We have no choice but to accept that the external world we perceive is, to a large extent, somewhat similar to how we perceive it. But when there's reason to doubt, we should supplement out subjective impressions with objective evidence.

18. James R Just this guy, you know? Staff Member

+1 on that.

A fact is not really a proposition at all. It is just descriptive of a true state of affairs.

A fact can be distinguished from a claim about a fact, or a claim that something is a fact. Claims can be true or false; facts just are. Usually, claims are true only insofar as there are facts that correspond to what is claimed.

For example, evolution is a fact. "The theory of evolution by natural selection is correct" is a claim, which is supported by evidence (facts) of evolution.

Pinball1970 likes this.
  19. C C Consular Corps - "the backbone of diplomacy" Valued Senior Member

Due to potential instances where each might reciprocally subsume the other, I'm not sure a definite hierarchy can be settled without rebellious reservations arising from time to time. Both can at least be assimilated by some broader category ("cognitive content" or whatever labeled concept with specific members in it).

Belief might be regarded as what has passed one's own individual standards in terms of having confidence in it or deeming it true.

Whereas knowledge might be what has passed group or collective standards (that of science, the state, educational system, or whatever public establishment or even trade/practice).

Both can be mental representations about affairs that are putatively independent of an individual mind, but the descriptions of such can be stored, expressed, and distributed externally.

In some cases, however, belief or knowledge can refer to subjective items themselves -- like "I had a dream about ___ last night". Which may be fact, but barring lab conditions, may be information only available to that person in terms of confirmation. Thereby, it might be knowledge as having occurred to the sole "witness" (so to speak), but may be judged in suspended belief context by others (maybe so, maybe not).
    _

20. Magical Realist Valued Senior Member

“You can spend your whole life building a wall of facts between you and anything real.”
    ― Chuck Palahniuk

21. Magical Realist Valued Senior Member

I don't think a fact is anything separate from its statement of being so. We can say it is a fact that the man is wearing a hat, but without that statement the event or state does not stand out or become observed as something that is the case in our experience. It is only by stating the fact as such that it is known and realized to be so. Language enables facts to become abstracted from the welter of our experience as matters real in themselves. There are no facts outside of statements of such and such being so.

22. James R Just this guy, you know? Staff Member

Yes, but only by ignoring other facts or pretending they aren't facts.
    The man is - or is not - wearing the hat, whether we mention it or not.
    A particular person being aware or unaware of a particular fact is a separate matter from the existence of the relevant state of affairs that makes the thing a fact in the first place.
    It helps to concentrate our attention, certainly.
    I disagree. Claims about facts are not the same as facts.

23. Magical Realist Valued Senior Member

But it is only a fact that the man is wearing a hat if it is true that he is wearing a hat. And truth is a property of statements. The fact lies in the statement being true.