Kill It Already, Please (Enterprise)

Discussion in 'SciFi & Fantasy' started by CounslerCoffee, Jan 21, 2004.

1. Angelios Registered Member

You know , Having been a Hardcore Janeway fan , I was very skeptical of this series. Enterprize seems to have one badly written episode after another , However LAST NIGHT was a decent episode ... I am partialy wondering if this is more to do with the curse of Scott Backula having to be in every episode ... The episode about T'pal getting married lastnight was very very good , with that exception ... perhalps like all ships , she really needs a good captin .... or a Seven of nine...

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. madanthonywayne Morning in America Registered Senior Member

I saw the first few episodes and then I moved and our comcast digital cable has a billion chanels, but no UPN. I think all the spin offs needed a few years to get their bearings. Next generation kind of sucked at first, until about the time Warf started wearing a pony tail. If it survives, it could still turn out all right.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Starthane Xyzth returns occasionally... Valued Senior Member

I haven't seen all of the 2nd or 3rd seasons of Enterprise, but it's been OK on the whole from what I have seen. The big problems are endless recycling of plot ideas from the previous Treks, while abandoning continuity with them (why did Enterprise feature the Ferengi and the Borg, when neither race has official contact with humanity until the Next Generation timeframe 2 centuries later?!)

It's good that this series has given the Andorians some actual screentime for a change, as they were supposed to be key and founder members of the Federation - whom we didn't see AT ALL in TNG, DS9 or Voyager! The Tellarites, too should show up more. Though I guess it's pointless asking for an Enterprise appearance of the Gorn or the Tholians, who I had vaguely hoped would show up in TNG or DS9 - attractively alien aliens, better than your standard lumpy-headed humanoids, whose potential for serious villainy was simply forgotten. The Xindi are interesting, however.

I don't like the way Hoshi Sato's linguistic role was quickly marginalised - it had promised to be fun, seeing a starship crew muddle along without depending on perfect translation technology.

Since the founding of the Federation has been fixed at 2161 by previous Star Trek chronologies, it's less than a decade away from the date of current Enterprise continuity. Humans, Vulcans and Andorians, as portrayed in the series, clearly have a lot of work to do before they can become socially compatible enough for a unified government. The main plot arc of the series, if it continues beyond the Xindi storyline, should be based on this.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Xelios We're setting you adrift idiot Registered Senior Member

I liked Enterprise more than DS9 actually, and a lot more than Voyager. Enterprise wasn't as... how can I put this... gay. The people acted like real people would, and not like the ideal military officer who always follows protocol and never backtalks. The way the episodes were tied together into one long story arc was much better than the old 'random event' episodes.

There's some things I don't like though, stupid time plots are one of them. Nazi aliens... I mean really did we have to go into that AGAIN?

8. Starthane Xyzth returns occasionally... Valued Senior Member

Not come across that episode yet: but I agree that we see too much about Nazis and how evil they were in TV documentaries (the various history channels devote a vastly disproportionate share of their scheduling to WWII). We don't need it dredged up repeatedly in science fiction as well.

9. Xylene Valued Senior Member

How 'bout a series involving an organization of interstellar diplomats, who spend their time settling arguments between Human colonies/empires and aliens? The main point of diplomacy is not to get your head kicked in--so no boring wars and explosions, but plenty of tension as trouble is avoided in each episode.

10. Starthane Xyzth returns occasionally... Valued Senior Member

You seem to be following up a lot of my posts, Xylene - perhaps we think alike?

Your idea about a series based on interstellar diplomacy and avoiding conflict: that was the initial premise behind Babylon 5. It was intended as a diplomatic space station where humanity would host embassies from as many alien powers as possible. Of course, war was required to keep public interest in the show - but it always remained more orientated to talk than to action. The central characters never wanted their wars.

11. Xylene Valued Senior Member

Actually, Starthane Xyzth, it's an idea I've been working on for a long time. It occurred to me a few years ago that when Humans eventually get out into the Galaxy, beyond our own solar system, we're probably going to be running into all sorts of alien cultures. As soon as we do encounter any, from then on we're going to have to negotiate almost every step of our way. The Interstellar Diplomatic Corps are going to be very important. I've written a number of short stories about their activities, which you can find on the site Writing.com. Google the name Roxalann, and you'll find 7 stories that I've put on that site so far about her work.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

12. Starthane Xyzth returns occasionally... Valued Senior Member

Looks interesting, Xylene - perhaps I will join that site when I have time, though by a different name, naturally... I see you've got a lot more than 7 stories now, you must be a prolific keyboard cruncher!

I love that expression "Google the name...", a perfect example of ongoing linguistic evolution. Perhaps the noun Google will become a charted verb in standard English..?

13. Xylene Valued Senior Member

I've written over 200 stories, mostly sci-fi...as for my use of Google, that's the way most languages change over time, as you'll know. The form of the word remains the same, but the meaning shifts through people finding other ways to use it.

14. CounslerCoffee Registered Senior Member

Xylene, if you ever want to post one of your stories to get comments from other users, feel free to.

15. Starthane Xyzth returns occasionally... Valued Senior Member

Re: this thread's original topic - how about organising submissions to the Paramount script office? I imagine quite a few people, here, Xylene not least, may have ideas for future Star Trek: Enterprise episodes, or may indeed have already written them...

16. Xylene Valued Senior Member

I daresay some of my stories could be used as plot-lines for ST episodes. I could have Roxalann as an occasional character who comes in to solve problems once in a while. The absence of mentions of the Interstellar Diplomatic Corps from previous episodes/series could be explained by the fact that they work in the background. Not so much an undercover organisation, but just a group who don't work with governments or burocracies unless they have to.

17. Starthane Xyzth returns occasionally... Valued Senior Member

Actually, there were a few references in previous Star Treks to a Federation diplomatic corps! Diplomats, such as Sarek, played a prominent role in TNG - so often, in fact, that I found myself wishing the crew would stop hosting negotiations and get on with exploring new territory...

That was one of the best things about Voyager. No crazy admirals or squabbling delegates!

18. Xylene Valued Senior Member

My stories tend to be rather long, Presidente; particularly the ones about Roxalann. Is there a special forum thread where I could park them, and how do I upload them from a disk?

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

19. CounslerCoffee Registered Senior Member

Xylene, you could post them to a website or blog, or even upload them to a website for download. You can only post small stories excerpts here, sorry. The reward though, is imput from various members. Even they hate your story, they'll try to tell you what they hate and give you constructive input.

If you need help, just PM me.

20. buffys Registered Loser Registered Senior Member

21. Xelios We're setting you adrift idiot Registered Senior Member

I don't see what UPN expected, they do zero promoting for the show, they just play the episodes and hope someone tunes in.

Ah well, maybe it'll be moved to another network, maybe it will die out only to be replaced with a new reality show, like The Big Grass Grow-Off, or something equally stupid. 'tis a shame though.

22. Starthane Xyzth returns occasionally... Valued Senior Member

Well, I guess Buffys' link says it all. 5 years is still a very good run - I haven't seen anything beyond season 3 yet.

The mention of a new Quantum Leap show has me excited already, though! Old fans like me have been dying to see a follow-up, or at least a TV movie, for the last decade.

23. buffys Registered Loser Registered Senior Member

yep, 5 years is a good run.

I think american television's tendency to run a successful show until it withers is a serious problem. The simpsons comes immediately to mind, that show deserved a graceful exit. This "slow death" approach to tv may make a few extra dollars but the long run cost is too high.

The british are on the opposite side of the spectrum. I thought "the office" could have easily handled another season (especially since their seasons are only 6 episodes long as opposed to the american standard of 24) but if a series is going to end I much prefer seeing it go out on top

5 years seems just about right to me. Enterprise has enough notice to end well and since they now know it's over the writers/directors/actors can take chances because they have nothing to lose. Ironically, this announcement gives me hope for the rest of this season.